Public Safety Updates
- NY: Plattsburgh City Council Sets Fast Pace With Full Agenda …
1.22.21 – WAMC – The Plattsburgh Common Council met Thursday evening for its second full meeting under a new mayor and there were some procedural …
State & National News
- Home alarm tech backdoored security cameras to spy on …
1.22.21 – ARS Technica – A home security technician has admitted he repeatedly broke into cameras he installed and viewed customers engaging in sex and other intimate acts. … He said he took note of homes with women he found attractive and then viewed their cameras for sexual gratification.
- Superintendent: MMSD approved planting a camera in …
1.22.21 – (WMTV) – The superintendent of Madison Metropolitan Schools alerted families of East High School students about a camera that had been hidden in a smoke alarm in the office of one of its coaches – apparently with the district’s approval.
- Massachusetts COVID Vaccine: Nearly 2,000 Doses Spoil at …
1.23.21 – NBC Boston – What they need to figure out is whether or not their alarm system actually works. Apparently, the freezer was still functional (or would have been if it was plugged in), but when its high-temperature alarm should have gone off after being unplugged for a while, nobody was notified. That was the real technical failure here.
- 5 Worthwhile Wellness Solutions from CES 2021
1.21.21 – CEPro – Digital CES 2021 showcased everything from smart beds to high-tech toilets, indoor gardens, healthier indoor air quality, personal nutrition and more.
- Return-to-Work Mandate Could Lead Many Employees to Quit Their Jobs
1.21.21 – CI – Anonymous survey of employees across high-tech industries shows one-third of respondents say they would quit rather than return to office.
- Be Wary of Requests for Additional Insurance
1.19.21 – CEPro – GCs and clients are more frequently requesting integrators to add them as ‘additional insured’ to their own insurance policy.
- We Might Be in the Middle of Business as Usual So Stop Waiting for It to Come
1.22.21 – CI – Tom Stimson says company leaders can make important changes to their approaches that could lead to success now and in the long term.
- Industry Experts Share Security’s Most Pressing Issues for 2021
1.22.21 – SSI – Interoperability and resistance to facial recognition are just a few of the issues security experts say must be addressed in 2021.
- State of Residential Security 2021: Reasons for Optimism, New Opportunities & More
1-20-21 – SSI – The work-from-home imperative figures to have long-term ramifications for the smart security home market. Executives from four leading residential dealer firms tell where they see the silver lining around the dark pandemic cloud.
Fire & EMS News
- OR: Clackamas Fire: Smoke alarm alerts homeowners to attic fire …
1.20.21 – Beavercreek, OR (KPTV) – A Beavercreek family is safe after a … Clackamas Fire: Smoke alarm alerts homeowners to attic fire at Beavercreek home … just before 3 a.m. It was reported that the roof of a home was on fire.
- AZ: ATM machine stolen from American Legion in Golden Valley …
1.23.21 – The Miner – Kingman – Mohave County Sheriff’s Office deputies are searching for two men who stole an ATM machine from the American Legion in …
- IL: 2 women charged with burglary, retail theft after trying to steal …
1.19.21 – Chicago Tribune – Kathleen A. Lewandowski, 25, of the first block of Hawkins Circle, Wheaton, and Felicia Lynn Sanchez, 26, were charged Jan. 9 with burglary and retail theft after they were seen putting items from the drug aisle in a purse and …
- LA: Police investigating burglary of dirt bikes from Lafayette …
1.20.21 – KATC – Police are investigating a burglary at a Lafayette dealership. On January 19 at 12:20 a.m., Lafayette Police responded to an alarm activation at …
- MD: Montgomery County Maryland
1.23.21 – Montgomery County – Detectives from the 5th District are investigating burglaries of two gas stations located in Germantown that were committed by the same suspects on January 3, minutes apart. The two suspects were successful in stealing an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) from one of the gas stations.
- MI: Bank robbed through drive-thru window, Bay County sheriff says
1.23.21 – Mlive – Bay City, MI – Bay County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating a bank robbery committed through a drive-thru window. At 4:11 p.m. on Friday, …
- MI: Break-in reported at HVAC company in Bloomfield Township …
1.21.21 – Oakland Press – Police are investigating a break-in at the Behler-Young HVAC company that happened Jan. 15. Bloomfield Township police responded to an alarm at approximately 12:30 a.m. to find the entry door’s glass smashed. Parts used in an industrial refrigeration unit were stolen, police said.
- NE LPD: Cash stolen during overnight burglary at Godfather’s Pizza
1.22.21 – Lincoln, Neb. (KOLN) – Investigators with the Lincoln Police Department are looking into a burglary at a Lincoln restaurant. Around 1:30 a.m. on Friday, police responded to an alarm at Godfather’s Pizza.
- NS: Police arrest suspect after investigating a Break & Enter GO …
1.21.21 – Halifax – On January 21 at 1:44 a.m., Halifax Regional Police, Sackville RCMP and a Police Service Dog responded to an alarm at the Bedford Education Centre inside Bedford Place Mall.
- PA: Erie police: Burglary suspect nabbed after alarm alerts officers
1.19.21 – Erie Times-News. Police were called to the business on Monday night to investigate an alarm, but did not find anyone around or inside of the business, Deputy Chief Jon Nolan said Tuesday afternoon.
- PA: Police: Burglar Who Crawls Into Moon Township Convenience …
1.22.21 – Moon Township, Pa. (KDKA) – Moon Township police are trying to identify an alleged burglar, and they say it’s not the first time he’s forced his way into a store and taken money.
- TN: Suspect wanted for stealing from Franklin Publix Supermarket …
1.20.21 – Franklin, Tenn. (WKRN) – Police in Franklin are searching for a burglar who stole from a Publix Supermarket. Police say on Sunday at around 12:30 a.m., the burglar broke into the store.
- WI: Alarm leads to arrest of man inside Piano Bar …
1.22.21 – Madison.com – Roger Jackson. A security alarm led to the arrest of a man inside Piano Bar … The man, Roger Jackson, 46, was taken to the Dane County Jail on a parole violation and tentatively charged with burglary.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald