301.519.9237 exdirector@nesaus.org

12.16.20 – WDVM – Nordea Lewis

The Maryland State Fire Marshal wants to remind residents of fire safety when using alternative light and electrical sources during power outages. The Marshal explained that using alternative electrical sources can result in a fire if people do not pay close attention.

As we prepare for the first snowstorm of Winter, some may experience power outages. The Maryland State Fire Marshal wants to remind residents of fire safety when using alternative light and electrical sources during power outages.

The Marshal explained that using alternative electrical sources can result in a fire if people do not pay close attention.

People often use candles as a source of light, however, if left on for too long or unattended a candle can cause a significant fire that can result in death or serious injury.

“Use flashlights during power outages instead of candles. Keep plenty of fresh batteries on hand at all times. If you prefer the look of candles, consider a flameless battery operated candles that offer the flickering light without the potential fire hazard,” said Oliver Alkire, Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal.

Additional tips:

  • Don’t place candles where children or pets can knock them over
  • Never use candles, matches, or lighters if medical oxygen therapy is used in the home.
  • Never attempt to refuel a generator while it is running. Always allow the unit to cool before attempting to refuel.
  • Do not use extension cords with portable space heaters. The extension cord can overheat and cause a fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.