10.31.18 – WENY-TV – BATH, N.Y.
The Consumer Protection and Safety Commission has recalled the Kidde combination CO/smoke alarm (Model Number KN-COSM-IB) due to a serious and potentially fatal malfunction, according to the Steuben County Office of Emergency Services.
According to the recall, originally issued Nov. 10, 2016, the alarms fail to alert the homeowner for carbon monoxide or smoke by chirping. Recent incidents have been reported in which the detector did not alert residents to dangerous conditions and could have resulted in deaths.
Since then the popular model has been reported at two other locations in the area.
“We believe there may be many homeowners who did not see the recall and are still using the alarm,” county Office of Emergency Services Director Tim Marshall said. “We urge everyone to check their CO/smoke detectors and discard and replace them if they have been recalled. Not only won’t the detectors save lives, they could cost them.”
For more information: Kidde toll-free at 855-239-0490 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.kidde.com and click on “Product Safety Notice” for more information.