301.519.9237 exdirector@nesaus.org

12.2.23 – Bring Me The News

The fire broke out on Nov. 22 in a multifamily residential building on 3650 Hazelton Road.

Officials have determined that two recent Edina kitchen fires were accidents both caused by stove burners being accidentally turned or left on – one of them by a cat.

At around 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 22., the Edina Fire Department responded to a report of a fire in a multifamily residential building on 3650 Hazelton Road. After investigating the fire, Fire Marshal Dave Ehmiller determined that one of the residents’ cats had climbed on the stove and ignited a burner, causing items on the stove to catch fire.

There was no fire alarm in the kitchen, according to the announcement. Another alarm eventually went off, and the residents were able to escape with their three cats.

At around 3 p.m. on Nov. 27, fire crews responded to a kitchen fire on Circle West. Ehmiller said that the fire had started when shopping bags left on the stovetop were ignited by a heating element that was accidentally left on.

The kitchen’s fire alarm went off immediately, and there was “minimal” damage to the home, according to the announcement.

No one was displaced as a result of the fire.

“Working smoke [alarms] are crucial for early detection of a fire, so make sure to check your smoke alarm locations and make sure they are in working condition,” Ehmiller said in a statement.

“One other takeaway from these kitchen fires is to make sure combustible materials like paper or plastic are not stored on or near cooking surfaces.”