Public Safety Updates
- ON: Alarm bylaw changes expected by year-end
9.25.19 – Simcoe Reformer – Alarm bylaw changes expected by year-end. Fines could be shifted to monitoring companies…
- Just how far does California’s new IoT security law reach?
9.24.19 – SIW – Legislation, set to go into effect in January, puts onus on manufacturers to equip their products with ‘reasonable security measures’
- The No. 1 idea for hiring the right salespeople
9.25.19 – SSN – There are several reasons that can explain a low success rate in hiring salespeople; however, one reason that often gets overlooked is that companies get fooled during the interview process.
- Security Pros Bemoan Lack of Innovation for Interlogix’s Downfall
9.24.19 – SSI – Security specialists from across the industry landscape provide their take on critical shortcomings that led to the once-vaunted brand’s fall from grace.
State & National News
- Lafayette Fire Dept. launches PSA for hard of hearing smoke …
9.24.19 – KATC – Lafayette Fire Department just launched a PSA for their smoke alarm program which gives free specialized smoke alarms to the deaf and hard …
- Pleasanton PD officer receives Bronze Star for response in …
9.24.19 – Pleasanton Weekly – Pleasanton PD officer receives Bronze Star for response in bank robbery with gunfire. Police also confirm arrests made, but specifics withheld …
- Ring announces new cameras and a conversational doorbell …
9.25.19 – The Verge – At its fall event today, Amazon announced two new versions of its Ring Stick Up security cameras and showed off a way for Alexa to have conversations with people who come to your door via a Ring doorbell.
- Alarm contractors’ argument gets OK to challenge ordinance
9.25.19 – Chicago Law Bulletin – Alarm contractors’ argument gets green light to challenge ordinance – The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently considered a dispute …
- Amazon targeting more traditional alarm customers
9.27.19 – SIW – Make no mistake, Ring’s newest product is absolutely intended to take a chunk out of the traditional residential integrator’s customer base
- How Do Break-ins Affect Your Bottom Line?
Burglary, murder, break-ins—all crimes have costs for enterprises, victims and society.
According to the FBI’s annual report Crime in the United States. In 2017, there were an estimated 1,247,321 violent crimes.
- Here’s What a Researcher Found After Putting Multisensor Smoke Detectors to the Test
9.25.19 – SSI – Fire-safety expert Shane Clary traveled to the U.K to attend Interflam 2019, where he examined an academic study on the causes of false fire alarms.
- Readers see a need for more diversity within security
9.25.19 – SSN – Yarmouth, Maine—As security becomes a top industry in which to build a career, the industry is seeing a shortage of qualified, diverse candidates.
- Common Objections to Managed Services Contract and How To Respond to Them
9.26.19 – CI: Common reasons a typical customer might be reluctant to invest in a managed services contract… and how to respond appropriately.
- Why is Everyone in the AV Technology World in Such a Rush?
9.26.19 – CI: The world hasn’t fully embraced 4K, yet most display manufacturers are already touting 8K and even 16K resolution. Is AV technology moving too fast?
- TechTalk: LumaStream Allows Integrators to ‘Own the Ceiling’ via DC Power Conversion
9.27.19 – CEPro – Thanks in part to LumaStream’s products and services, now is the perfect time for integrators to gain ground in the lighting industry.\
- New Construction Survey Exposes ‘Data Ownership Battle’ Between Project Owners, Contractors
9.26.19 – SSI – Challenges arise when owners and contractors manage construction projects using disparate software applications without automated data exchange.
- New book for security integrators written from the customer’s perspective
9.24.19 – SSN – Equips readers with tools, knowledge to close more sales, enhance customer relationships
Fire & EMS News
- FL: Longboat Key Cops Corner: In through the window | Longboat …
9.25.19 – www.yourobserver.com – Rescue: Police and fire-rescue personnel climbed through an unlocked window after receiving a medical-alert alarm indicating someone inside …
- IN: Greenfield family escapes burning home, credits smoke …
9.25.19 – FOX59 – Dustin’s father was also inside the home. The family woke up to the sound of smoke alarms.
- MA: Wanted In Connection To False Alarms At MBTA Stations: Police
9.25.19 – Patch – “Whoever, without reasonable cause, by outcry or the ringing of bells, or otherwise, makes or circulates or causes to be made or circulated a false alarm of fire shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars, or by imprisonment,” reads state law.
- NE: Emergency crews responding to fire call find body in home
9.29.19 – WOWT – Authorities responding to a house fire call locate a body inside the home. Emergency crews were called to the location near Westwood Lane …
- NM: Mom accused of pulling fire alarm at Belen High School …
9.24.19 – Belen, N.M. (KRQE) – A mother is facing charges for allegedly pulling a fire alarm at her son’s school. Police say on Tuesday they were called .
- TX: Fire Breaks Out At Convenience Store Across UT-Austin
9.24.19 – Patch – Downtown Austin, TX – Portion of southbound Guadalupe Street closed to traffic in aftermath of fire …
- WI: Two children credited with flagging down police to report …
9.25.19 – WKOW – Two children flagging down a Fitchburg police officer Wednesday … reporting a fire in their unit, according to a police department news release.
- WI: Smoke alarm awakens family of seven during Racine house fire
9.23.19 – Journal Times – According to a press release from the Racine Fire Department, the alarm awakened a family at about 4:44 a.m., at which point they discovered a possible electrical fire in their downstairs bathroom and called 911.
- CT: Troopers: Burglar tried to steal meat from CT banquet hall …
9.26.19 – CT Post – State Police are looking for a man who tried to steal boxes of meat from a Connecticut banquet hall. At around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019 police responded to an active alarm at Aria Banquet Hall.
- IL: Police Searching For Masked Man After Attempted Armed …
9.24.19 – Chicago (CBS) – A masked man attempted to rob a business at gunpoint in the North Center neighborhood on Monday.
- MI: Breaking and entering reported at Grand Rapids-area hunting …
9.23.19 – mlive – Grandville, MI – An unknown suspect or suspects broke into but .
- MI: Burglars break into Medawar jewelry store through roof …
9.24.19 – Wood- Investigators say burglars busted into a Plainfield Township jewelry store by going through the roof.
- MS: Monticello Police Department, Library Burglarized over ...
9.27.19 – Lawrence County Press – The Monticello Police Department and the Monticello Library were both broken into over the weekend, but the culprit did not get away with …
- MS: Man escapes from, returns to jail – Daily Leader | Daily Leader
9.24.19 – Daily Leader – A Silver Creek man who used a towel to slide over a barbed wire fence at the Lawrence County Jail told authorities he wanted to see his .
- OH: Third break-in this month under investigation at Huber Heights …
9.25.19 – WHIO – Huber Heights – The Double Deuce Tavern was broken into for the third time this month Wednesday morning, Sgt.
- OH: Warning issued after dirty exhaust fans likely led to 2 recent …
9.26.19 – Cleveland 19 – The Olmsted Township Fire Department has a public safety message: Clean your bathroom exhaust fans.
- TX: Burglars break into local pub through roof, get away with $9.75
9.24.19 – KWTX – Zakary Lamb has been charged by the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office with failure to identify as a fugitive, evading arrest, resisting arrest, and burglary of a building in addition to seven separate charges filed by the Waco Police Dept. Lamb remained in McLennan County Jail …
- WA: Seattle police find suspected burglar in ceiling after bungled …
9.24.19 – mynorthwest.com – A burglary attempt at a Seattle luggage store had police fielding a decoy … Seattle police find suspected burglar in ceiling after bungled heist
- WI: 4 men accused of burglarizing Greenfield Best Buy plead not …
9.24.19 – Fox 6 -Milwaukee – Four men from Illinois and Indiana charged in connection with the burglary of the Best Buy store in Greenfield were in court on Monday afternoon, Sept. 23 for their preliminary hearings.
- WY: 1 minor arrested in connection to Wyoming Verizon store …
9.26.19 – WZZM – There has been a total of 18 break-ins at cell phone stores in the Kent and Ottawa counties since August.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams