State & National News
- Study Suggests Most US Businesses Have Reduced Office Space
9.16.21 – CI – Nearly 70% of the businesses surveyed have permanently closed some or all of their office space since March 2020, Digital.com survey says.
- Study: Working from home during the pandemic has increased cyberattack risk
9.14.21 – SIW – New research shows cybercriminals have leveraged COVID-19 to proliferate ransomware schemes
- Survey: Majority of Organizations Don’t Care if Surveillance AI Is Biased
9.14.21 – SSI – In a survey conducted by Pro-Vigil, 62% of respondents said they either don’t care or aren’t sure if they care if their AI is biased.
- How to Attract, Hire & Retain Talent (Part 1) –
9.17.21 – SSI— The struggle to find talent is real. Business guru Paul Boucherle shares practical advice to help you bolster your workforce.
- 3 Ways to Cleverly Avoid the ‘Crappy First Draft’ When Making Decisions
9.17.21- CEPro – It’s often easy to fall into autopilot mode and coast through the workday, …
- 5 Experts Express Role of Standards in Video Surveillance
9.16.21 – SSI – As surveillance systems move to the Cloud and customers become increasingly concerned over privacy, it’s integral integrators take the proper precautions.
- Never Losing Sight of Security: Advances in Remote Video Surveillance
9.15.21 – SSI – Discover how far remote video capabilities have come to further user applications and integrator opportunities.
- What to Know About Your Subscribers’ ‘Additional Insured’ Requirement
9.14.21 – SSI – Don’t rely on whether the subscriber has indemnity coverage; it’s better to be named on the policy and have your own additional insured coverage.
- The New Roles of Buyers, Marketing and Sales
9.16.21- CI – It’s time to shift several paradigms. Let’s begin with looking at how people buy today versus the recent past from a marketing and sales perspective.
- Practical Advice For The Hardware Security Community
9.14.21- CI – Researchers should emulate device firmware in order to study how devices work and look into their vulnerabilities.
Fire & EMS News
- IL: Peoria Furniture Store damaged by overnight fire
9.15.21 – Heart of Illinois ABC – Firefighters were called to The Store around 11:30 PM on a fire alarm. The building is used for furniture sales. Firefighters did find heavy smoke on the first floor when they got inside, and called for additional firefighters due to the size of the building.
- ME: Steam from a grill triggers fire alarm at UMFK Fox Auditorium
9.14.21 – Fiddlehead Focus – A crew cleaning a grill at University of Maine at Fort Kent’s Fox Auditorium kitchen caused enough steam to trigger a smoke detector and set off an alarm, according to Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee.
- MN: Four injured in fire at Slayton printing business
9.16.21 – Independent – Slayton – Four injured in fire at Slayton printing business. Warehouse damaged, but ‘minimal impact’ to production at Page 1 Printers, police said.
- NC: Faulty smoke detector sets off fire alarm at Manteo High School
9.16.21 – OBX Today – Fire and school officials confirmed a faulty smoke detector was to blame for the activation, and no fire or smoke were detected or reported.
- VA: 6 displaced after fire rips through North Stafford home
9.17.21 – Potomac Local News – The Stafford County Fire and Rescue Department was called to the scene for a reported structure fire.
- CA: Homeowner wounded in officer-involved shooting in Reedley
9.15.21 – Fox 26 – A homeowner was mistakenly shot in the leg by a Reedley police officer on Monday. [RELATED]One shot, another in custody following an …
- MA: Woman Wanted For Bank Robbery In Hampden County
9.13.21 – Daily Voice – Police in Massachusetts are seeking the public’s assistance in locating a woman who is wanted after robbing a West Springfield bank in Hampden …
- MI: After auto store manager blasts Project Green …
9.15.21 – Detroit (FOX 2) – Detroit police are explaining the Project Green Light still works, despite an auto parts store being broken into. – A Detroit …
- MI: Hillsdale man pleads to burglary
9.14.21 – Hillsdale Daily News – A Hillsdale man pleaded no contest to attempted breaking and entering of a building with intent to commit larceny, at an appearance Monday …
- MO: Smoke alarm wakes residents allowing time to escape mobile …
9.16.21 – KSN – Taney County, Mo.— Authorities state it took about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control. The State Fire Marshal was contacted to assist with investigation, …
- NE: UPDATE: Burglary at Casey’s General Store
9.13.21 – LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) -Lincoln Police responded to a burglary at Casey’s General Store on Saturday ..
- ON: Orillia man faces multiple charges after break-in at downtown …
9.15.21 – Orillia Matters – Orillia man faces multiple charges after break-in at downtown pharmacy. An Orillia man smashed through the locked front door of a downtown drug store last night and stole a quantity of prescription medication.
- OR: Police arrest 70-year-old accused of robbing Salem …
9.14.21 – KATU – Police caught a 70-year-old man with a loaded handgun after he allegedly robbed a Salem lottery deli at gunpoint early Tuesday morning.
- PA: Millvale police asking public’s help locating burglary suspect
9.15.21 – Yahoo News – Millvale police are asking the public’s help locating a 62-year-old man who was charged this week with committing multiple burglaries. Police are seeking Elwood Bartrug after he was identified on a home surveillance video breaking into one of the homes. …
- PA: Millvale police seek man who broke into several homes
9.14.21 – WTAE – According to police, surveillance video caught Elwood Bartrug breaking into one person’s home and running off when an alarm went off.
- PA: Public’s help sought in finding Ligonier burglars
9.14.21 – Tribune Review – Ligonier Valley police are asking the public’s help after a pair of businesses along Route 30 in Ligonier were burglarized early …
- TN: Want To Be Burglars, Foiled In Burglary Attempt In Johnson City
9.17.21 – WHFG — Two men have been charged with attempted robbery after their attempt to disable power to a Johnson City business they were preparing to …
- TX: Plainview PD said officers catch burglar in the act
9.14.21 – Everything Lubbock- KLBK – Plainview, Texas– A man who police said may be connected to multiple burglaries and robberies was caught and arrested while attempting to ..
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela