Public Safety Updates
- CA: False alarm ordinance under consideration in San Rafael, Calif.
8.27.19 – SIW – City would begin issuing fines with the very first false call under current proposal
- CA:: Lodi Police to Start Fining 911 Callers for False Alarms | FOX40
8.29.19 – FOX40 – LODI — Lodi police say they have been responding to too many false alarm calls from homeowners and businesses. “We have a lot of …
- IL: Ordinance changes eyed for inspections – Beloit Daily News
8.30.19 – Beloit Daily News – BELOIT – The Beloit City Council could consider five possible city ordinance changes at Tuesday’s regular meet.
- Monitronics Emerges From Chapter 11, Eliminates $885M of Debt
8.30.19 – SSI – Newly merged with Ascent Capital Group, the company’s biggest shareholders are now EQT Partners and Brigade Capital Management.
- Ring, the doorbell-camera firm, has partnered with 400 police forces …
8.28.19 – Washington Post – The doorbell-camera company Ring has forged video-sharing partnerships with more than 400 police forces across the United States, granting them potential access to homeowners’ camera footage and a powerful role in what the company calls the nation’s “new neighborhood watch.”
State & National News
- Legit robocalls get snared in crackdown on scams
8.28.19 – Pew * Stateline – About 10% of the robocalls that are blocked are legitimate.
- The Arguments For and Against Facial Recognition
8.30.19 – SIW – Debate around the technology’s use continues to heat up as cities, states weigh legislation
- US economy grew at modest 2% annual rate last quarter
8.29.19 – Associated Press – The U.S. economy grew more slowly in the spring, and many economists think the slowdown will continue and perhaps complicate President Donald Trump’s hopes that a surging economy will enhance his 2020 re-election hopes.
- 5 Reasons Architects, Designers Should Work With Integrators
8.30.19 – CEPro – It’s no secret that architects and designers should be working with integrators more closely, but how do you convince them your services are valuable? Check out these tips!
- How Pairing Thermal Cameras and Radar Enhances Perimeter Protection
8.30.19 – SSI – Thermal cameras can be an optimal match to radar’s long detection range, allowing personnel to be alerted before a suspect reaches the perimeter.
- Customers Speak Up on Diagnosing and Resolving Pain Points
9.1.19 – SSI – SSI’s first Commercial Security End-User Forum gives decision makers chiefly in the K-12 education and hospital markets opportunity to tell systems integrators how to best address their critical security needs. There’s no quiz, but pay attention if you want to profit. By Erin Harrington
- 4 Reasons Why Entrepreneurs Should Take Labor Day Off
9.1.19 – Entrepreneur – Planning on skipping Labor Day fun to focus on your startup? Here are four reasons why you shouldn’t.
- I Want My MCCTV
9.1.19 – SSI – Experts from around the security industry share why mobile video surveillance solutions are proving to be in high demand by everyone from pet owners to police officers. By Steve Karantzoulidis
- Perimeter Protection Threat Level Soaring
9.1.19 – SSI – Drones pose a greater security risk than most think, especially as the law leans toward the operators’ side. Integrators can help organizations adapt procedures and arm themselves with the latest detection technologies. By Leo McCloskey
- Analyzing How Analytics Can Enable New Business
9.1.19 – SSI – Now in the mainstream, video content analysis continues to open newfound revenue opportunities across a wide range of vertical markets. Understanding the technology and selecting the right market niche are keys for security integrators to succeed. By Allan B. Colombo
- How Cloud and Mobile Are Transforming Access Control
9.1.19 – SSI – The rise of mobile credentials and Cloud solutions is impacting the role integrators play in selling and supporting access control systems. Learn how to capitalize on market shifts that are creating enhanced functionalities, new recurring revenue streams and more. By Jeff Perri
Fire & EMS News
- CA: Berkeley fire officials respond to dryer fire in southside
8.29.19 Daily Californian – Berkeley Fire Department, or BFD, responded to reports of a fire at a building on Warring Street early this morning, according to BFD spokesperson Keith May. The alarm company who monitors the building called BFD at 1:44 a.m., and the fire agency received multiple other 9-1-1 …
- IA: Discarded fireworks cause Des Moines house fire – KCCI.com
8.26.19 – KCCI – A house was set on fire after fireworks were discarded nearby on the east side of Des Moines on Saturday …
- IN: Sprinklers set off fire alarm at North High School | Local News Digital
8.28.19 – LND – Columbus, Ind. – Authorities at the Columbus Fire Department say that firefighters responded to a fire alarm call at Columbus North High …
- NH: Fire damages jewelry store in downtown Portsmouth
8.27.19 – Union Leader – Portsmouth – Investigators are searching for the cause of a blaze Sunday that damaged a downtown jewelry shop.
- WI: Fire alarm goes off in Straz Tower Wednesday morning – Marquette Wire
8.28.19 – Marquette Wire – A fire alarm went off at Straz Tower Wednesday morning at 4:35 a.m. … Marquette University Police Department and Milwaukee Fire Department responded to the scene. University spokesperson Chris Stolarski didn’t immediately respond for comment. …
- AR: False active shooter alarm alerted at Westwood Elementary in …
8.27.19 – KHBS/KHOG – Greenwood – Westwood Elementary in Greenwood went on lockdown Monday morning after a false alarm was issued about an active shooter.
- AZ: Camera, employee witness suspect rob baby store in Tucson
9.1.19 – Tucson, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) – A small business in midtown was robbed in broad daylight Saturday. That’s according to the owner of Little
- CA: Police catch homeless man breaking into Cole Vocational Services in …
8.30.19 – Victorville, Calif. (VVNG.com) — Police arrested a homeless man for burglary after responding to an alarm call at a Victorville business.
- MN: New Information in Credit Union Robbery …
8.30.19 – Voice of Alexandria – On Thursday, August 29th at 4:24 pm, the Alexandria Police Department responded to a hold up alarm Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union. … The unknown suspect was given an undisclosed amount of money. He is described as a male between the ages of 25 and 45 with a …
- MO: Thieves targeting Metro East video gaming machines | FOX2now.com
8.28.19 – FOX2 – Video gaming machines are being targeted by thieves in the Metro East. … “These thieves know that this is a big business and they’re targeting it,” says Detective Danny Allison with the Caseyville Police Department. Police say the Caseyville Inn, as well as the Full Moon Saloon, have …
- NH: State police investigate attempted burglary at Alstead Gun Shop
8.27.19 – WMUR – State police are looking for information about an attempted burglary at a gun store in Alstead. State police responded to an alarm around 4 a.m. ..
- OR: A Grants Pass man arrested is connected to a line of burglaries
8.26.19 – KTVL – Grants Pass Department of Public Safety arrested 31-year-old Joseph Gustin III on Saturday after an alarm went off at the Shop River Rock. Police say that Gustin the third is linked to several rooftop burglaries dating back to March of 2019. … During the second …
- PA: York County man accused of disabling burglar alarm, stealing … – Fox43
8.27.19 – FOX43 – York County – A 58-year-old Delta man has been charged with criminal mischief, criminal trespass, and theft after State Police say he entered a Peach Bottom Township home without permission, disabled the alarm system, and stole two Adirondack chairs Saturday night.
- PA: Alleged armed robbery at smoke shop in Athens | Local/Regional …
9.1.19 – The Daily Review – ATHENS — The Athens Township Police released a report on Friday of an armed robbery incident that occurred at Smokin’ Joes Smoke Shop
- SD: Jokerz Casino armed robbery in Sioux Falls
8.31.19 – Sioux Falls, SD (KELO) – Police are investigating an early morning armed robbery at a Sioux Falls casino. Officers responded to a holdup ..
- TX: McDonald’s employee gives boyfriends keys, alarm code to steal …
8.26.19 – news4sanantonio – Once inside, the man is seen removing the money from the safe. … McDonald’s employee gives boyfriends keys, alarm code to steal money for bills … up on bills, so she gave him her key and the alarm code to the restaurant.
- VA: Bank Robbery in Old Town Alexandria | NBC4 Washington
8.29.19 – NBC4 -After getting cash he reportedly walked out of the bank in the direction of Prince Street. Both the FBI and Alexandria Police are investigating the robbery.
- VA: Blue Ridge Bank break-in – WHSV
9.1.19 – Harrisonburg, Va. (WHSV) – At approximately 4:30 a.m., the Harrisonburg Police Department was called to Blue Ridge Bank in reference to an alarm activation. HPD officers responded, and upon arrival, discovered a man inside the bank. The suspect, identified as Jordan Romano, 23, of …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams