State & National News
- 159M U.S. Homes Install Tech During Pandemic, Most Were DIY
8.6.21- CEPro – According to the CTA, 89% of U.S. renters and homeowners currently use home technology in their residence, most of which are DIY products.
- Time Period Extended for Paying Back PPP Loans
8.3.21 – CEPro – Businesses that appealed SBA loan decisions now may have up to 6 months longer to begin paying back PPP loans.
- US Government Launches Payment Protection Program Forgiveness Portal
8.2.21 – CEPro – The SBA has created a new portal that will begin allowing small business owners to apply for PPP loan forgiveness starting August 4.
- Why Providing Convenience to Customers Is Key
8.6.21 – SSI – A good many monitoring center customers have strong preferences on how they would like to interact with an associate.
- How Integrators Can Launch a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative
8.6.21 – CEPro – Having a strategic plan for creating a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiative is critical for success, so here are a few key ways for integrators to get started.
- 8.4.21 – CEPro – These messes of audio and networking cables are so cluttered and disorganized that they might be mistaken for post-modern art installation
- Breaking security’s glass ceiling
8.6.21.- SIW – Breaking security’s glass ceiling. Identiv’s Leigh Dow discusses the challenges facing women in the industry and overcoming gender …
- Why the Smart Home Network Has Never Been More Vulnerable
8.6.21 – SSI- The security category is particularly vulnerable — smart cameras, locks and the hubs controlling them are all hacking targets.
- Navigating the Changing World of Project Management
8.4.21 – SSI – Project management has evolved over the years but one critical point remains the same. To deliver projects on time and on budget, businesses must have strong processes to manage resources and tasks.
Fire & EMS News
- OK: Smoke alarm saves apartment after person fell asleep while …
8.3.21 – FOX 25 – A working smoke alarm was able to prevent a huge loss at an apartment complex after a resident fell asleep while cooking. Firefighters were …
- CA: Sacramento History Museum closed after gold artifacts theft …
8.2.21 – Sacramento Bee — Police investigate after person broke into Sacramento History Museum in Old Town Sacramento, seen on video stealing gold items, with museum
- TX: Burglary suspect caught on film ‘Superman’ diving into dumpster
8.3.21 – Times Record – Police catch an alleged burglary suspect hiding in dumpster behind Ben Milam Elementary School. Police arrested a suspect after he was …
- SK: Saskatoon airport briefly evacuated due to faulty alarm …
8.6.21 – Saskatoon – CTV – Saskatoon international airport was briefly evacuated Friday afternoon. According to a tweet sent at 2:16 p.m., the airport was evacuated roughly 10 minutes prior “due to an ongoing incident.” … An airport spokesperson told CTV News a faulty fire alarm was responsible for the scare.
- TN: Scoop: Nashville – Nashville Neighborhood Crime & Courts …
8.6.21 – Scoop – Nashville man wore ballistic body armor while burglarizing vehicles “for his ..
- ON: Citizen Calls 911 After Spotting Smoke Coming from LaSalle …
8.8.21 – I Heart Radio Canada – According to fire officials, an alert citizen called 911 after spotting the smoke and hearing a smoke alarm going off. Investigators determined the fire started in the attic of the home with faulty electrical getting the blame.
- MA: Police search for Franklin jewelry store robber
8.2.21 – Boston.com — Police search for Franklin jewelry store robber. Police say the suspect stole an estimated $10,000 worth of goods. Police are asking the …
- TX: Pawn shop burglary call leads to …
8.3.21 – KHOU – Pawn shop burglary call leads to lengthy pursuit that went the wrong way through …
- CA: Man arrested following burglary spree in Visalia …
8.4.21 – KMPH – The Visalia Police Department announced the arrest of a man responsible for multiple burglaries. Officers say they busted 29-year-old …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela