Public Safety Updates
- PA: Oakmont officials want false alarms to stop
8.16.21 – TribLive – Oakmont officials have had enough of false alarms going off and draining police and fire department resources. Council on Aug.
- AT&T 3G sunset sets off alarms for monitor industry …
8.19.21 – Fierce Wireless – … T-Mobile isn’t the only one getting slammed for shutting off its 3G network in early 2022.
- Newly Found IoT Vulnerability Could Impact up to 83M Devices
8.18.21 – CEPro – The current vulnerability is in the ThroughTek Kalay network, a protocol implemented as an SDK built into software and networked IoT devices
State & National News
- When is an Active Fire Watch required?
8.17.21 – Diving Daily – Active Fire Watch is often misunderstood and therefore considered to be one of the most underrated fire protection techniques. But to be honest, one of the easiest ways to ensure property security is only organized by a fire protection officer from a professional security company is one of the easiest ways.
- Acadian AI-Enabled False Alarm Fight Earns Marvel Runner-Up Nod
8.19,21 – SSI – The Calipsa False Alarm Platform has allowed Acadian Monitoring Services to decrease response times to true alarms by about 35%.
- Taking the industry’s temperature on in-person events
8.18.21 – SSN – Yarmouth, Maine – Coming out of the past year of endless virtual conferences, …
- Protecting Workers: Guidance on Mitigating and Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in the Workplace
8.13.21 – OSHA – This guidance is designed to help employers protect workers who are unvaccinated (including people who are not fully vaccinated) or otherwise at-risk (as defined in the text box below), including if they are immunocompromised, and also implement new guidance involving workers who are fully vaccinated but located in areas of substantial or high community transmission.
- How the Gig Economy Messes with Your Integration Business
8.19.21 – CI- Sneak Attack: Here’s how these high-profile companies are stealthily impacting your integration business.
- The Future of Attendance is “Real Time Optional”
8.18.21 – CI- Real-time optional saves time so you’re not being held captive in an hour-long video conference where you can’t look away.
- Survival Skills: Learning to Compete With the DIY Goliaths
8.20.21 – SSI- The industry is fast changing thanks to large market entrants, but that doesn’t mean the Davids can’t compete with DIY – and win big.
- How to Calculate the Lifetime Value (LTV) of a Customer
8.19.21 – SSI – There are a few key numbers that are valuable to know as owners plan and make investment decisions. One of those is the LTV.
- Big Idea of the Month: Inside the Selling Process
8.19.21 – SSI – Go inside the selling process experienced by Doug Wilson, a former Minneapolis alarm dealer who decided it was time to exit the industry.
- Why Multidwelling Units Are Expanding the Smart Home Market
8.18.21 – Like a standalone smart home, individual residences can be “personalized” and automated with security, lighting, climate control and more.
- NE: “Light smoke” triggers smoke alarms in Norfolk home
8.16.21 – Newschannel Nebraska – Norfolk, Neb. – An investigation is underway after smoke alarms went off at a home in northeast Nebraska. Norfolk Fire and Rescue crews got …
- AL: ‘I hate a thief’: Multiple Prichard businesses broken into, thief steals about $5,000 in cigarettes
8.20.21 – Prichard, Ala (WALA) –Multiple Prichard businesses were hit by what appears to be the same thief. Two of the places had their cameras rolling as the suspect tried to rip them off. One owner says about $5,000 worth of cigarettes were stolen.
- CO: Video shows suspects in action on deadly metro Denver crime …
8.20,21 – KDVR – New video shows the suspects connected with a deadly crime spree in action Tuesday night in metro Denver.
- GA: South Carolina man charged in Georgia bank robberies.
8.17.21 – AJC – A South Carolina man wanted in connection with two bank heists last week in Toccoa and Gainesville has been arrested in Chattanooga and now …
- MI: Candi Cane Wireless owner trying to rebuild business after …
8.18.21 – Fox 47 – A car crash has rallied the small business community in Jackson. Brenda Hughes from the Jackson Michigan Giving Back to the Community …
- NC: Authorities Searching For Burglary Suspect Posing As Worker
8.19.21 – Benson – The Johnston County Sheriff’s Office is looking for a burglary suspect who appears to be posing as a worker. On Monday, August 16th …
- NJ: 2 Burglars Wanted For Trying To Break Into Garwood Home
8.18.21 – Patch – 2 Burglars Wanted For Trying To Break Into Garwood Home – Clark-Garwood, NJ – Garwood Police are asking the public for help to find the two …
- TX: MCSO asking for help to solve restaurant burglary
8.20.21 – Your Basin – Midland County, Texas (Nexstar)- The Midland County Sheriff’s Office is asking for help from the community to solve a burglary.
- TX: Plano Police Investigating Burglary at Store
8.21.21 – WSPY – Plano police are looking into a burglary at a store Friday night. A police report says that around 11:15 Friday night, ..
- TX: Video shows suspect accused of killing woman during ATM …
8.16.21 – ABC13 – A woman has died after an armed robber shot her several times during an ATM holdup in northwest Harris County over the weekend.
- WA: Audible Burglar Alarm Triggers Multi-Agency Response …
8.17.21 – KPQ- Wenatchee Police are investigating after a home burglar alarm was tripped Monday afternoon which led to the closing of Washington and Franklin Streets temporarily.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela