State & National News
- DA: Home security company fined for having unlicensed …
8.12.21 – Wichita, Kan. (KSNW) – The district attorney’s office says a security company has agreed to pay $263,000 in penalties after investigators discovered some of the company’s technicians were not licensed as they worked in Sedgwick County.
- Resideo Agrees to Foot $55M to Settle Class Action Litigation
8.11.21 – SSI – The agreement will settle a pending securities class action suit arising from allegations with respect to statements and disclosures made in 2019.
- Infrastructure Bill – IRS Promoter Investigations & Notices
8.11.21 – Reitman Consulting Group – The infrastructure bill passed by the U.S. Senate on August 10th would end the employee retention credit (ERC) early…. The IRS has formed the Office of Promotor Investigations ,,, The IRS collection division is recovering from pre-pandemic lockdowns and began sending out letters…
- Hybrid Work is the Future, What Will That Entail?
8.13.21 – CI – With a portion of the population vaccinated, companies will have to adjust to the new hybrid work model coming out to the pandemic.
- Exploring Change and Understanding the Experience
8.12.21 – CI – In our industry, we must understand experience and change the way we present solutions, because our customers have themselves changed.
- When (and When Not) to Contract in a State You’re Not Licensed
8.16.21 – SSI- You may think a few accounts is ok, but do you really want to contract with hundreds or more of accounts in a state where you’re not licensed?
- 8.12,21 – Scott Goldfine – The impending deadline for systems using AT&T’s 3G network is Feb. 22, 2022.
- Campuses Report Having Mixed Success With Access Control, Lockdowns
8.13.21 – SSI – Robin Hattersley-Gray – Demand for access control, locks, visitor management and other solutions is on the rise, but the ability to lockdown is still a challenge.
- Insights for Adjusting to and Implementing Change
8.13.21 – SSI – Paul Boucherle – Following a proven process will deliver stronger team building, communication and new thinking to address the realities of your business model in positive ways.
- Why Personal Safety Is the Most Important Technician Skill of All
8.11.21 – SSI – Bob Dolph – If you do suffer an unfortunate safety accident, it could affect you or your fellow workers for the rest of their careers.
- Harnessing Collective Wisdom and Efforts of DEI Initiatives
8.10.21 – SSI – Dawn R. Sizer – Having a strategic plan for creating a diversity, equity and inclusion initiative is critical for success. Here are a few ways get started.
Fire & EMS News
- CT: Roof fire in Westport leads to evacuation at commercial building
8.9.21 – Westport – Fire officials said a fire in the roof of a commercial building on Post Road West Monday was caused by repair work the day before …
- MA: Fire on Gunn Road destroys Southampton security alarm …
8.10.21 – Mass Live – Fire on Gunn Road destroys Southampton security alarm business; firefighters arrive to find ‘ball of fire’ Southampton – A fire just after midnight Tuesday destroyed a fire and security alarm business, said fire chief John Workman.
- Press Herald – “The (high) school still remains one of the safest places in the city. These aren’t punitive,” Westbrook Fire Chief Andrew Turcotte said. “Had …
- WI: Tenant says no tires stored in building that caught fire …
8.11.21 – Daily Union – The main tenant of a building where a massive fire broke out Tuesday near downtown Fort Atkinson confirmed there were no tires stored inside …
- AL: Alabama Man Arrested For Collegedale Pharmacy Burglary …
8.10.21 – Chattanoogan.com – Alabama Man Arrested For Collegedale Pharmacy Burglary, 2nd Suspect Still Wanted. One person has been arrested, and another is on …
- AZ: El Mirage police fatally shoot suspect who …
8.10.21 – KTAR – El Mirage police shot and killed a suspect who allegedly raised a gun at officers early Tuesday morning, authorities said.
- CO: Agitated’ man tased after leading police on chase, crashing …
8.12.21 – Aspen Times – Carbondale police officers also attempted to pursue Shroyr in that town, but he made it on to Highway 82 and CSP officers took up the pursuit.
- CT: Connecticut family gets wild surprise after 2 bears break into …
8.11.21 – Avon, Connecticut (WHDH) – A Connecticut man got a wild surprise when he came home to find two bears in his kitchen. Dustin Puhlaski returned to his Avon home Tuesday afternoon and immediately noticed something was wrong. Then he came face-to-face with the unlikely thieves.
- FL: St. Petersburg AT&T employee helped burglars steal $70,000 …
8.13.21 -Tampa Bay Times – St. Petersburg AT&T employee helped burglars steal $70,000 in cellphones, police say. … Anna Elise Potter, 21, was an employee at the AT&T store located at 1300 4th Street North in St. Petersburg when the burglary occurred May 11, police said.
- GA: South Carolina man arrested in Tennessee in connection …
8.13.21 – The Times – A South Carolina man, identified as Sidney Allan McCollum, has been arrested in connection to the robbery of a Wells Fargo bank in Gainesville on Friday. According to a Facebook post by the Gainesville Police Department, McCollum was arrested in Chattanooga, Tennessee and is awaiting extradition back to Gainesville.
- IA: Police: Bettendorf businessman set off restaurant alarm on …
8.10.21 – QCtimes – Police: Bettendorf businessman set off restaurant alarm on purpose to “test law enforcement” … A Bettendorf restaurant owner who has been …
- KS: More than $6,200 in damage as result of old UP depot burglary
8.13.21 – By Leslie Eikleberry – Salina Post. More than $6,200 worth of damage was done inside the old Union Pacific depot during a burglary early this …
- MA: Burglary spree in Great Barrington yields little for masked …
8.9.21 – The Berkshire Eagle – Still, the four thieves — police believe they all are men — moved so swiftly and skillfully in the early hours of July 26 that police haven’t ..
- MA: Police arrest man accused of smashing display cases at Franklin jewelry store, stealing $10K worth of items
8.11.21- Franklin, MA (WHDH) – Officers responding to an alarm at the store found the front door smashed, significant damage to several display cases, and jewelry scattered on the floor.
- MI: Bay City man pleads guilty to robbing bank …
8.12.21 – Mlive – Shane W. Gillette, 34, in late July appeared before Bay County Circuit Judge and pleaded guilty to one count of bank robbery, the lone charge he …
- MO: Leadwood man charged after burglary at American Legion Hall
8.10.21 – Daily Journal – An area man faces felony charges in St. Francois County related to a reported breakin at the American Legion Hall in Leadington late last week. Joseph David Jones, 44, of Leadwood, was charged on Monday with second-degree burglary, first-degree property damage, and possession of burglary tools.
- MO: Leadwood man charged after burglary at American Legion Hall
8.11.21 – An area man faces felony charges in St. Francois County related to a reported breakin at the American Legion Hall in Leadington late last week. Joseph David Jones, 44, of Leadwood, was charged on Monday with second-degree burglary, first-degree property damage, and possession of burglary tools.
- NE: Burglars break through Casey’s door
8.12.21 – KLKN – Authorities say two masked people broke through the glass door, entered the building, and set off the security alarm.
- NE: Man steals $500 worth of tech gear from southeast Lincoln …
8.9.21 – 1011 Now – Investigators with the Lincoln Police Department say more than $500 worth of tech gear was stolen from a southeast Lincoln business.
- NE: Would-be ATM thieves caught on camera
8.10.21- KETV – Would-be ATM thieves caught on camera. They tried to steal an ATM and failed. Now Bellevue Police hope you can help track them down.
- PA: The DOJ accused a Pennsylvania bank manager of …
8.13.21 – Yahoo.com – The DOJ accused a Pennsylvania bank manager of embezzling $340,200 and igniting the safe to hide the evidence · The DOJ alleged a Pennsylvania …
- TN: Man sought after Robbing a Murfreesboro Bank at Gunpoint …
8.12.21 – WGNS – Murfreesboro, Tenn. – Murfreesboro Police Department detectives are looking for the man who robbed a bank at gunpoint on Thursday, Aug. 12.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela