Public Safety Updates
- NY: Avoidable police alarms would bring higher fines in Amherst – The …
8.19 – Buffalo News – Amherst plans to increase the fines it charges residential and commercial property owners for avoidable alarms that require police response, …
- ON: Hamilton cops to require proof of threat before sending officers to …
8.19 – CBC – Hamilton cops to require proof of threat before sending officers to burglary alarms. Hamilton police will only respond to alarm calls if security companies can verify the danger.
- ADT Reports More Than 3 in 4 Installs Are Smart Home Systems
7.19 – SSI – ADT reported a Q2 loss while showing 80% of residential installs are now smart home systems, with 15,000 Amazon Alexa Guard deployments.
- Who Says Nothing’s New?
7.19 – LL- In today’s world of electronic access control systems there are disruptive drivers dictating technology changes
- 3 Surprising Benefits of Access Control
7.19 – LL – Implementing access control solutions that go beyond security can be a game changer for most organizations
- How to Assess True Cost Differences of Various Security Entrances
7.19 – LL – When you consider security entrances or access control it pays to look at the full picture of what your costs will be
- Physical security at risk as cyberattacks target vulnerable systems
7.19 – LL – Hackers penetrate the network of The Pyramid Hotel group compromising the door access control systems
- Ring launches “for business” offering – Security Info Watch
9.19 – SIW – According to a press release, Ring for Business “empowers customers to monitor and protect their property, across multiple locations, remotely from a single app. … The professional monitoring at $10/month is for intrusion only and requires a “Ring Protect Plus plan,” which is a separate purchase.
- TBFAA Names SSI Industry Hall of Famer Mitch Reitman Person of the Year
9.19 – SSI – Reitman will formally receive the award at the Roast & Toast Dinner as a part of the TBFAA convention to be held in Rockwall, Texas, in October.
State & National News
- SimpliSafe’s home security system can be compromised by a $2 wireless emitter
7.19 – The Veerge – This flaw means you won’t be notified of a break-in, SimpliSafe’s latest home security system can apparently be fooled by an affordable wireless emitter that mimics the frequency of its door and window contact sensors.
- Pritzker signs kennel safety bill into law.,.
7.19 – Chicago Tribune – Illinois kennels are now required to be staffed at all times, or have sprinkler systems or alarms that ring at the local firehouse, a response to the DuPage County kennel fire earlier this year that claimed the lives of 29 dogs.
- Can we probe the mind of the next mass shooter?
6.19 – SIW – Recent Secret Service report reveals commonalities between attackers, experts discuss implications for security
- Facial recognition software prompts privacy, racism concerns in states, cities
9.19 – Stateline – Officials in several cities banned the technology’s use by municipal agencies.
- 4 Ways to Establish Your Value to Customers
9.19 – CEPro – Pete Baker shares some lessons he learned the hard way over his integration career, like identifying your target customer and being sure to determine and defend your company’s value.
- How Integrators Can Improve Sales Via Account-Based Marketing
9.19 – CEPro – Twitter is a great way to engage with your audience directly, so don’t be afraid to use social media as a marketing platform. Often, using social media leads to interactions that feel natural and less like a direct ad.
- Why Central Stations Must Adapt to These Changing Consumer Communications
SSI – Central stations and call centers need to be able to meet the demands of different standards to be able to serve their clients and end users universally and effectively.
- Make Sure You’re Limiting Cyber Liabilities by Doing This
9.19 – SSI- There’s eventually going to come a day when customers won’t do business with you unless you take proper cyber-precautions.
Fire & EMS News
- AL: Mobile Fire-Rescue responds to a fire on Charlotte Oaks Drive
5.19 – Mobile, Ala (WPMI) – This was in response to an electronic fire alarm sounding in a residential home. The alarm yielded no fire, but responders discovered visible smoke from a brick home on the same block.
- AL: Kitchen fire forces Stanfields in Ford City to close
6.19 – Ford City – If it wasn’t for the building’s alarm system, firefighters might not have been able to save the building, Brick Hatton Volunteer Fire Department Chief Cody Bond said.
- CO: Target in northeast Colorado Springs evacuated for CO alarm
10.19 – KKTV – A Target in northeast Colorado Springs was evacuated Saturday afternoon for a carbon monoxide alarm.
- FL: Carbon monoxide alarm causes downtown building evacuation …
9.19 – Your Observer – A carbon monoxide alarm led to the evacuation of a downtown building earlier today, but the Sarasota County Fire Department has since ..
- FL: GPD: False alarm at Oaks Mall causes concern
5.19 – Gainesville, Fla. (WCJB) – They said, “Today the Oaks Mall in Gainesville experience a false alarm while working on the fire alarm system. There are several false reports of shots fired at the mall on social media. Please disregard any such information as this did not occur.”
- IA: Firefighters Called After Neighbor Hears Smoke Alarm
6.19 – KIWA – Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hindt tells KIWA that firefighters were paged shortly after 9:45 Friday evening to 301 North 5th Avenue in Sheldon. According to Hindt, next-door neighbors heard smoke alarms sounding, but were unable to get anybody to answer the door.
- OH: Fire crews called to Canfield apartments after smoke triggers alarm
5.19 – WYTV – Canfield OH – Workers were able to quickly vent away the smoke and nothing else was damaged
- WY: Shake Machine Activates Fire Alarm | SheridanMedia.com
8.19 – Sheridan Media- A machine used for making shakes brought Sheridan firefighters to a business early Thursday. Sheridan Fire-Rescue Captain Chad Brutlag said firefighters were called shortly before 4:30 a.m. in response to an activated fire alarm.
- AB: Calgary business owner questions poor response after break-in
8.10.19 – CTV – 18 hours ago – A shop owner whose Inglewood store was recently broken into is sharing her story in hopes of helping other Calgary business owners.
- CA: BPD investigating Soni Food Store burglary in East Bakersfield – Kero
8.10.19 – ABC23- Bakersfield, Calif. – The Bakersfield Police Department is investigating a commercial robbery that took place at the Soni Food Store off…
- CA: Attempted bank robbery at Wells Fargo in Seal Beach | Orange County …
8.7.19 – OC-Breeze – On August 5, 2019 at about 3:42 PM, the Seal Beach Police Department received a call of a silent robbery alarm at the Wells Fargo Bank.
- CT: PD: Man, woman arrested after attempting to rob TD Bank, United Bank in Manchester
8.5.19 – Fox 61 – Manchester – According to police, they received a ‘hold up’ alarm from the TD Bank. Police say when they got there, they learned a man in his 40s approached the tellers inside the bank, holding an empty bag.
- FL: Florida woman bites intruder who forced his way into home – The …
8.7.19 – Wash Post – A nearly toothless South Florida woman says she bit a man who forced his way into her apartment.
- LA: Suspect Sought in First District Attempted Business Burglary
8.6.19 – City of New Orleans – The pictured suspect utilized a ladder to break through the upper floor window of a business at the location. Upon making entry, the business’ alarm was activated and the suspect fled the scene.
- LA: Suspects in business break-in sought by IPSO | Local News Stories …
8.8.19 – The Daily Iberian – On the morning of Aug. 5, Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to an alarm …
- LA: NOPD looking for man who attempted to break into Mid City business …
8.9.19 – 2 days ago – New Orleans – The NOPD has identified a suspect in the attempted break in of a Mid City business. On July 29, a man identified as ..
- NC: Man Charged In Morganton Break-in
8.5.19 – WHKY – Morganton, NC – Saturday (August 3) at 4:43 a.m., officers with the Morganton Department of Public Safety were dispatched to alarm call at Premiere Studio. When Officers arrived they found a broken window at the rear of the business. The suspect entered the business through the broken window and stole an undisclosed amount of cash. The suspect left the area prior to officers arriving at the scene.
- NC: Police investigating armed robbery at Conover convenience store
8.9.19 – Conover, N.C. (WBTV) – The Catawba County Sheriff’s office is currently searching for a suspect who robbed a convenience store at gunpoint …
- NC: Man passes out while attempting to steal fuel | WCTI
8.11.19 -WCTI – A man awaits extradition to Georgia after being arrested in Craven … Hufstetler was attempting to steal gas from the van when he passed out.
- NE: Bird Store burglarized for the second time in three months
8.6.19 – Omaha, Neb. (WOWT) – Wednesday evening, a Bird Store in Omaha was burglarized, for the second time this summer. The store plans to put in place another alarm system and more cameras.
- NM: Alamogordo man charged in Elk’s Lodge burglary
8.6.19 – Alamogordo Daily News – Video surveillance inside the gaming office showed two tall, heavy men, each clothed in gloves and face masks, entered the room by force 9:47 p.m. The taller man had reflective shoes and a logo brand T-shirt while the shorter man had tattoos on his arms and glasses, court documents state.
- NH: Historic copper piece stolen from UNH’s Thompson Hall recovered …
8.7.19 – Union Leader – Durham – A Stratham man is facing charges after he allegedly stole a historic copper turret cover that once sat atop the University of New …
- OK: Tulsa police searching for person of interest in burglary | KTUL
8.7.19 – KTUL – The Tulsa Police Department is searching for a person of interest in a burglary from July 18. The victim says she left home for work and then received a call from her alarm company that her alarm was going off. When she got home, she …
- ON: Business break-in triggers alarm resulting in an arrest – My North Bay …
8.8.19 – My North Bay Now – North Bay police say there’s value in having a burglar alarm as an incident to a business on Algonquin Avenue proved. Police got a report of an …
- PA: Money, jewelry stolen at Mercer County business; cameras, safe, alarms didn’t stop burglary
8.7.19 – CNHI News Service – South Pymatuning Township, Mercer County – Security measures including alarms, cameras and a safe weren’t enough to prevent the burglary of a business over the weekend.
- SC: Greenville deputy cleared after shooting homeowner through front …
8.7.19 – US Today – Investigators determined a Greenville County deputy who shot a 62-year-old man through the front window of his home acted according to policy….
- WA: Police arrest four after burglary at Arc of Spokane thrift store
8.5.19 – Spokesman Review – Spokane police say they arrested four people and recovered hundreds of dollars’ worth of stolen merchandise after responding to an alarm at the Arc of Spokane thrift store late Sunday, using a police dog to apprehend one suspect who hid in a bush.
- WI: Caught on camera: Milwaukee man’s home broken into in seconds …
8.9.19 – Milwaukee – A Riverwest homeowner got a call his security system was going off but did not take it seriously. His warning now to others.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams