Public Safety Updates
- CT: Meriden dispatchers union sounds alarm about understaffing …
6.30.20 – My Record Journal – MERIDEN —The city’s emergency dispatchers union is voicing concerns about “chronic understaffing” at Meriden’s dispatch center, which it says has required dispatchers to work “72- to 88-hour workweeks with no breaks or time off for rest.” … “Short staffing puts dispatchers and the community we serve at risk.
- GA: City of Columbus launches false alarm reduction program
7.2.20 – COLUMBUS, Ga. (WTVM) – Effective Wednesday, everyone who has a security alarm registered with the City of Columbus will have an account with Central Square Technologies. … New alarm registrations will have to pay a one-time fee where others do not.
- TX: Texas town’s entire police department placed …
7.1.20 – Fox News – All 12 officers in a small Texas town’s police department went into self-quarantine after one member tested positive for the coronavirus this …
- Watch out for security companies promising to upgrade your home alarm system
6.19.20 – ABC11 -Raleigh, NC – If you get an unexpected guest at your door claiming they are with your alarm company to upgrade your system, you need to be on guard. Eighty-three-year-old Raleigh homeowner Irene Jones was caught off guard by the scam, which left her with two alarm systems and several thousands of dollars in bills.
- SIA Adopts New Ethics Principles for All Members
7.2.20 – SSI – Any organization that qualifies for membership in SIA must affirm that they have read and understand the nine principles.
State & National News
- Why Burglary Has Declined in the U.S. – Bloomberg
7.1.20 – Bloomberg – Better Alarms and Less Cash at Home Bring Hard Times for Burglars. In the internet age, there are easier ways for crooks to make money.
- How security technology navigates business reopening for its clients
7.2.20 – SIW – As more and more organizations consider reopening, safety and security takes center stage in business operations
- How to Avoid Falling in a Rut While Navigating the COVID-19 Crisis
7.3.20 – SSI – Running a business during a pandemic may have you feeling like you’re in “Groundhog Day,” but here’s some advice: Ask yourself, what would Bill Murray do?
- Survey: Home Remodeling to Hold Strong Despite COVID-19 Crisis
7.3.20 – SSI – Despite the financial and economical hardships caused by the coronavirus pandemic, homeowners remain enthusiastic about improving their living spaces.
- Marketing Tips for Security Dealers: Understanding the Marketing Funnel
7.1.20 – SSI – Security pros can apply marketing know-how to guide prospects through the awareness and evaluation phases to the point of making a purchase.
- How Security Dealers Can Fend Off Channel Disruption
7.1.20 – SSI – Security dealers no longer compete with just each other, but now must also fend off retail giants and multi-service operators.
- Build predictable recurring revenue in unpredictable times
7.1.20 – SSN – Yarmouth, Maine—The “as-a-service” business model and approach is designed to help build recurring revenue for integrators; it’s no longer feasible to simply install a system, have the customer pay for the system outright, and then move on to the next customer.
- 3 Integrators Explain How They Keep AV Technician Teams Working Efficiently
7.1.20 – CI – These insights from integration firm leaders will help you manage your team of AV technicians in a time when good management is more critical than ever.
- AR: Police investigate Bentonville ATM theft
7.4.20 -Arkansas Democrat – Bentonville – Police are investigating the Friday theft of a bank automated teller machine. Bentonville Police Department officers …
- CA: Police investigating burglary at Macy’s in the Mall – Victor …
6.30.20 – VVNG – … to the business after a glass break alarm was triggered at Macy’s. …
- CO: Police shoot, kill burglary suspect in southwestern Colorado …
7.1.20 – KRDO – Durango, Colo. (AP) — Police in Durango shot and killed a burglary suspect …
- FL: 2 burglars steal over $14000 in valuables on camera in …
7.4.20 – Sun Sentinel – Hollywood – Two burglars are seen on surveillance video creeping around inside and outside a Hollywood home and police are hoping someone will recognize and report them. The break-in happened June 7 in a house …
- KY: Window busted, cash stolen from Seafood Lady restaurant …
7.4.20 – Newsbreak – Louisville, Ky. – The Seafood Lady restaurant was broken into overnight Thursday. According to manager Dawn Bradford, when the …
- ME: Two men arrested in Woolwich medical pot store burglary …
6.30.20 – WOOLWICH — Police arrested two men Friday for the June 15 burglary of a medical marijuana store on Route 1. Frederick Archer and Alton Lane, both 20-year-old transients from the Bath area, were charged with burglary, theft by unauthorized taking and criminal mischief.15 hours ago
- NJ: A man was asleep in his N.J. home. Then police broke down …
7.1.20 – nj.com – A man was asleep in his N.J. home. Then police broke down his door with guns drawn.
- NJ: Wayne Man Arrested After Burglarizing Local Business
7.3.20 – Patch – Wayne, NJ – A Wayne man found himself between a pallet of fertilizer and a hard place …
- TX: Family Dollar’s alarm, strobe light terrorizing Houston …
6.29.20 – KPRC – Police are checking into an alarm glitch at a northwest Houston business. Every night for the past week, Maria Aguirre said sirens and strobe lights are coming from the Family Dollar. She said the disruption is keeping the neighborhood awake.
- TX: McAllen police shoots burglary suspect Sunday morning …
6.29.20 – News Break – McAllen police shot a 29-year-old Palmview man three times early Sunday morning after they say he threw bricks at officers responding to a burglary call.
- TX: Ringing burglar alarm calls attention to fire at West Side …
6.30.20 – KSAT – San Antonio – A ringing burglar alarm inside a West Side Subway restaurant revealed a different kind of trouble there. When San Antonio police officers responded to that alarm around 3 a.m. Monday, they noticed smoke inside the business. … However, he said the smoke did spread and caused some damage there as well.
- TX; HPD: Suspect fleeing police climbs onto roof of west Houston …
7.3.20 -Click 2 Houston – A man is in custody Friday morning after climbing onto the roof of a west Houston home … climbed onto a roof of a home and refused to come down for over 20 minutes. The …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela