Public Safety Updates
- Fake calls, real consequences: The public safety impact of ‘ …
6.30.23 – By Annie Knox and Daniella Rivera, KSL-TV – SALT LAKE CITY – Police storming high school hallways, guns drawn. Students hiding in classrooms. Tearful parents rushing to campus.
- Small business owners in Chicago are using fog machines in …
6.28.23 – ABC7 New York – Business owners in Chicago are using fog machines in hopes of stopping burglars. Business owners in Chicago are hoping to leave thieves in a fog. When someone breaks into stores after hours, an anti-theft fog machine goes to work. In just seconds, it can fill about 1,000-square-feet with a non-toxic, no-grime fog.
- 86% Homebuyers State They Would Consider a Smart Home When Moving
6.30.23 – CEPro – Numbers in UK study not a far cry from results of similar studies conducted throughout the United States within recent years.
- Netwrix report: lack of budget is the biggest security challenge for small organizations
6.27.23 – Netwrix – According to the survey, small organizations experience the same cyberthreats as the respondents overall. The most common security incidents are phishing, ransomware and user …
- A sustainable human-centric security culture is vital to any organization
6.27.23 – SIW – Perry Carpenter – Companies need to focus on changing behavior, not just increasing knowledge
- Kidde unveils three new HomeSafe health and safety devices
6.29.23 – Security Info Watch – “A smart home is a safe home, and Kidde’s three new HomeSafe enabled devices provide homeowners confidence and control, so the people, places ..
- New report says stolen identities remains top cybersecurity threat
6.23.23 – ForgeRock Identity Breach Report details why fraud caused by AI-based attacks and stolen identities is rising.
- Metal detectors, surveillance cameras, classroom locks
6.26.23 – SIW – Metal detectors, surveillance cameras, classroom locks: Louisiana schools fortify security. Parents can expect much new technology ahead as Louisiana public schools spends more than $20 million in fresh federal funding aimed at limiting the chances of dangerous intruders committing violence.
- AR: 22-year-old Arkansas man arrested after attempting to …
6.30.23 – News Break – Little Rock (KATV) – A 22-year-old man armed with a gun was arrested Friday after police said he attempted to break into a southwest …
- CA: Female suspect wanted for Brentwood, Antioch bank, credit …
6.27.23 – Contra Costa Herald – Our agencies have since confirmed the same female suspect committed the pair of robberies; however, wore different clothing during each incident …
- CA: Police seek woman suspected of robbing two banks within …
6.28.23 – The Press – Police were seeking a bank robbery suspect whom they believe hit two banks, … Credit Union on the 5600 block of Lone Tree Way at 1:58 p.m..
- GA: Burglars empty register in restaurant break-in
7.1.23 – Appen Media – Police are investigating a burglary at an Alpharetta restaurant that occurred June 17.
- IN: Crime spree ends when police nab pair
6.30.23 – Wilcox Newspapers – Marion – Osceola County Sheriff Deputies, in the early morning of June 24, were dispatched to a report of a burglary alarm at the Tustin EZ-Mart …
- MI: Man accused of robbing Grand Rapids bank arrested
6.26.23 – MLive.com – Grand Rapids, MI – Police arrested a 30-year-old man they believe is responsible for robbing a bank in downtown Grand Rapids.
- MI: Man gave teller note demanding $1200 in downtown …
6.28.23 – MLive.com – New details were released Tuesday in court documents that describe what happened inside Comerica Bank during a robbery on Friday, June 23.
- MI: Sheriff’s office investigating gun store break-in
6.29.23 – The Oakland Press – The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a break-in at an Oxford Township gun shop after being alerted by a burglar alarm early …
- MS: Southaven pawn shop hit by smash-and-grab burglars
6.26.23 – WREG.com – Thieves were caught on camera crashing an SUV into a Southaven pawn shop and making off with guns and other merchandise early Saturday …
- MT: Police respond to burglary alarm at Noon’s Sinclair in …
7.2.23 – NBC Montana – Missoula Police responded to an automated burglary alarm at Noon’s Sinclair gas station early Monday …
- NC: Suspects in police chase linked to burglary
6.29.23 – Butner Creedmoor News – Knightdale – Three people are in custody and face several felony charges after a high-speed police chase through Wake County, a news release says. Several of those charges stem from the suspects’ connection to an early-morning burglary.
- ON: Teens carry out smash-and-grab at Westbank vape shop
6.29.23 – Sastanet – A Westbank business owner says he is frustrated after a group of teenagers smashed their way into Switch 2 Vapes and stole dozens of items. The group, estimated to be between 14 and 16 years old, targeted Jason Latter’s shop on Saturday just after midnight.
- PA: Bethlehem pair charged in overnight burglary spree –
6.27.23 – WFMZ – Palmer Township Police say a Bethlehem man and woman are in custody after an overnight crime spree that began with an attempted break-in at Weis Markets. The burglaries included private homes, parked vehicles and a nearby auto dealership. Police responded around 3:45 a.m.
- PA: Man wanted in connection to eight burglaries in Philadelphia
7.1.23 – PhillyVoice – Philadelphia Police are looking for a man who allegedly burglarized or attempted to burglarize eight businesses in Philadelphia.
- PA: Scranton man charged in break-in at Moosic convenience …
6.28.23 – Yahoo – Jhadriane Santiago Rodriguez fled on foot after the break-in early Tuesday at Convenient Food Mart but was taken into custody a …
- RI: Police showed up at a 2 a.m. bank alarm in riot gear. They found no suspects, but saw this
6.29.23 – The Providence Journal – Police investigate “well-planned” heist from Providence bank branch
- SD: Sioux Falls police searching for eastside Target burglar
6.26.23 – Dakota News Now – Sioux Falls, S.D. (Dakota News Now) – The Sioux Falls Police Department reports a suspect is wanted for burglarizing the eastside Target …
- WA: Longtime Olympia pizzeria burglarized Sunday morning
6.27.23 – The Olympian – Dirty Dave’s Pizza Parlor on Martin Way in Olympia was burglarized early Sunday morning, according to police. Police were dispatched about 4:30 a.m. after a person walking past the business could hear an alarm and the sound of breaking glass, Olympia Police Lt. Paul Lower said.
- WA: Multiple crimes planned by two men arrested in Bellingham WA
6.30.23 – Bellingham Herald – Two men were arrested in Bellingham on burglary charges for crimes that happened earlier this month, police said. Christopher Shon Qualls, 30, and William Jay Hagen, 43, were taken into custody by Bellingham Police on June 17.
- WA: Othello juice bar burglarized two weeks before opening
6.30.23 – Columbia Basin Herald – Heavenly Fresh, a yet-to-open juice bar at 126 East Hemlock Street, was burglarized just two weeks before the business’s official opening. Perpetrators stole more than $5000 dollars of equipment.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.