Public Safety Updates
- OH: False Alarm Ordinance Notice | Lorain Police Department
7.24.19 – Important Notice Regarding the Alarm Ordinance Program for The City of Lorain. In order to reduce the number of false alarms and …
- MN: In Minneapolis, 911 nonresponses underscore needs for more cops, advocates say
7.28.19 – Star Tribune – By the time the call was canceled, at 3:42 p.m., it had been pending for more than 43 minutes.
- Security Industry Mourns the Loss of Mel Mahler
7.22.19 – SSI – “There was no finer ambassador to our industry. Such a wonderful, warm man. I will miss him,” says SSI Editor-in-Chief Scott Goldfine.
- American Defense Systems Acquires Point Security of Austin, Texas
7.23.19 – SSI – The two friendly competitors have joined forces in Texas after collaborating as Brinks Home Security Authorized Dealers
- Convenience, security and savings drive growth of mobile credentialing
7.25.19 – SSN – Access control cards and readers long ago replaced mechanical locks and keys for enterprise security. Now, those plastic cards are giving way to mobile credentials that communicate with readers using a smartphone virtual key
State & National News
- Arizona law helps those in licensed occupations
7.22.19 – U.S. News and World Report – The Grand Canyon State’s new law affects a variety of jobs, from barbers to real estate agents to physicians. NCSL data cited.
- Former burglar turned security expert gives tip on how to secure your home this summer…
7.24.19 – The Daily Mail – … ‘If the dog can move around in the house then so can a burglar – so that means an alarm is not on,’ he said. .
- NSCA Forecasts 1% Growth in Home Construction and Renovations in New Report
7.24.19 – SDM – NSCA’s Electronic Systems Outlook report has been updated for Summer 2019 and includes construction outlook information based on actual data from Q1 and Q2 of 2019, as well as a forecasted outlook for the remainder of 2019 and beyond.
- As pot stock grows, so do security concerns
7.26.19 – SIW – As legalization spreads, how to secure the cannabis industry looms as a sticking point for security providers
- How to do more security installations in less time
7.23.19 – SIW – Currently available solutions can help integrators save valuable time and improve their bottom line
- Fire & Life Safety: Group B Occupancy Conundrum
7.15.19 – SIW – The tricky case of a manual fire alarm system in a planned healthcare clinic
- The Next Great Phase of Physical Access Control
7.23.19 – SIW – Interoperability forges a critical connection to loT devices and peripherals
- Keep Your Boss Happy: How Alarm Techs Can Maximize Productivity
7.26.19 – SSI – Alarm techs share why you should take a closer look at minding your P’s and Q’s — your productivity and quality of work.
Fire & EMS News
- ID: Idaho firefighters respond to fire alarm at animal shelter, discover cat triggered it
7.28.19 – Fox News – Idaho firefighters responded to a fire alarm that went off at an animal shelter and turned out to have been called in by a cat.
- IN: Lebanon responders tend to elderly woman’s yard after alarm goes off
7.22.19 – Fox 59 – LEBANON, Ind. – Responders in Lebanon helped tend to an elderly woman’s yard after she accidentally hit her medical emergency alarm while preparing to weed eat.
- IN: Working smoke alarms likely saved family of 5 escape massive house …
7.24.19 – WHTR – A family of five managed to escape without injury after their Fishers home became engulfed in flames early Wednesday.
- NJ: Home HVAC Catches Fire; House Saved by Fire Alarm …
7.25.19 – West Essex Tribune – During a week with many calls, most of which were false alarms and unfounded reports, the Livingston Fire Department had to contend with an attic fire and a ..
- NY: Shelter Island Police Department blotter
7.25.19 – Shelter Island Reporter – A smoke alarm was activated in Dering Harbor on July 16 by burnt popcorn. On July 17 a fire alarm was activated at a Center location, where the Shelter Island Fire Department (SIFD) was unable to gain entry to the building.
- OH: Crews respond to false alarm at Holiday Inn, 2 arrested for discharging fire extinguisher…
7.23.19 – WLIO -Crews responding to a fire alarm just before 10 p.m. Monday night. According to officials on the scene, two people discharged a fire extinguisher, which can leave a chemical residue.
- PA: Fire Crews Respond to False Alarm
7.24.19- Kittanning Paper – Kittanning Hose Company #1 responded last night to an active fire alarm in an apartment above the Kittanning Beauty School. Firemen found a person who was …
- CA: South Lake Tahoe Police Blotter
7.26.19 – South Lake Tahoe, Calif. – The following are the call logs for the South Lake Tahoe Police Department June 26 – July 7, 2019.
- FL: Burglary suspect caught in the act, officials say…
7.24.19 – WESH … They say he had no more information on the name of his company or the people who hired them, but things got really hinky when the deputy asked suspect aldrich why the alarm was going off. … > > normally, we go through the window, and if the alarm goes off — that’s the first time it’s gone off.
- FL: Burglary suspect says he needed to climb through window while hired to pressure-wash home
7.24.19 – Ormond Beach, Fla. (FOX 35 Orlando) – Justin Aldrich, 41, was spotted near a home on Monday as deputies were responding to a home burglary alarm. As Aldrich was leaving the area in a vehicle, he was stopped by a deputy.
- MA: Brockton police seek suspects in two overnight break-ins
7.28.19 – the Enterprise – Brockton – Around 2:40 a.m., Brockton police responded to an alarm at the Shell gas station and convenience store. Upon arrival, officers discovered that someone had smashed the front door to gain entry and steal cigarettes. The amount taken is unclear at this time, police say.
- MA: Police/Fire: Man charged twice in four hours
7.25.19 – gloucestertimes.com – 1:22 a.m.: A burglar alarm activated at a John Wise Avenue building. All was found in order
- MO: Police looking for 4 people who broke into Twisted Ranch
7.24.19 – 5 On Your Side – St Louis – Video surveillance shows four people entering the restaurant and going behind the bar to take alcohol.
- MT: Dispatch Report
7.26.19 – 5:14 p.m. – RCSO responded to a burglar alarm in Crane. The alarm system was shut off before law enforcement arrived. The owner called and said it was accidentally set off. RCSO still went to check it out and everything was fine.
- NC: Man wanted for smash-and-grab at Burlington Food Lion
7.26.19 – Burlington, N.C. – Police responded to the scene after a business alarm at the store went off just after midnight.
- NE: Burglary in Blackstone: Suspects steal from Coneflower Creamery
7.25.19 – KETV – Omaha – A burglary in Blackstone occurred as suspects steal items from Coneflower Creamery.
- OK: Men caught allegedly breaking into RVs tell Logan Co. deputies they were searching for pets…
7.26.19 – KFOR.com -Logan County, Okla. – Two men were caught in the act, allegedly breaking into RVs in a storage center. Deputies were called to Zooms Storage just after 1 a.m. when a silent alarm on one of the RVs went off.
- ON: Alarm alerts police to break-in, suspect arrested
7.28.19 – CTV Windsor – Chatham-Kent police say they caught a man red-handed after investigating a break-in at a business.
- OR: Northwest 23rd business owner frustrated by repeated break-ins
7.27.19 – KATU – Portland, Ore. – A jewelry store window is boarded up from a recent break-in.
- PA: Police log: Leaking pool, escaped dogs and neighbor complaints
7.27.19 – Hanover Evening Sun -12:22 p.m. A residential alarm. All checked out OK.
- TN: Caught On Camera: Home alarm stops attempted …
7.24.19 – WRCBtv.com – CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Home alarm stops attempted burglary suspect in Grundy County. Tuesday, July 23rd …
- TX: Odessa police investigate theft
7.26.19 – Your Basin – While investigating, officers learned that a man had taken about $600 worth of merchandise and disarmed the alarm before leaving the building, according to a release.
- TX: Suspect stole more than $100,000 in vehicles, yard equipment from county…
7.22.19 – KABB – FOX San Antonio – The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office is looking into how someone was able to steal more than $100,000 worth of things from the county early Saturday. According to a BCSO spokesperson, the burglary alarm at Comanche Park went off twice around 4 a. m, but
- VA: Pittsylvania Co. gun store faces 7th break-in in 3 years
7.24.19 – Pittsylvania Co., Va. (WSET)- “I was well on the way by the time they set off the alarm that actually calls the police and the police were here before I got here,” Jennings said.
- VA: Police: Suspect breaks into Cascade gun shop, but leaves empty handed
7.24.19 – GoDanRiver.comDeputies and investigators responded to Guns, Gear and Ammo after receiving an alarm at the business at about 3 a.m. Sunday,
- WV: Police Reports
7.27.19 – Wheeling News Register – Wheeling, WV – At 8:01 a.m., Pearl Avenue, burglar alarm.- At 9:30 a.m., Water Street, burglar alarm.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams