Public Safety Updates
- BC: Not a false alarm! District and RCMP to charge for false security calls
7.18.19 – Squamish Chief – Fines in Squamish start at $100. After nearly 450 false alarms were triggered in Squamish in 2018, the District of Squamish and RCMP announced they will be charging for repeat false calls.
- GA: Sandy Springs touts early success of first-in-Georgia false alarm law
7.17.19 – Atlanta Journal-Constitution – Nearly a month in, Sandy Springs says its first-in-Georgia false alarm ordinance has been working – meaning police officers …
- ADT Settles Lawsuit Filed Against NorthStar
7.16.19 – SDM – Today, ADT, a provider of monitored security and interactive home and business automation solutions in the United States and Canada, announced it settled a deceptive sales practices lawsuit filed against NorthStar Alarm Services, a Utah-based company, for $3 million.
- Alarm.com Settles Patent-Infringement Lawsuit with IpDatatel
7.18.19 – CEPro – Patent-infringement lawsuits dismissed before Court ruled on validity of two Alarm.com security and home-automation patents.
- A ‘smarter’ approach to smoke detection
7.19.19 – SIW – Smoke Detective leverages cameras in cellphones, smart devices to provide a visual smoke detection solution
State & National News
- Local governments shine light on public surveillance
7.16.19 – State Net Capitol Journal – San Francisco’s ban on facial recognition technology is just one provision of an ordinance restricting the city’s use of surveillance technologies in general. NCSL’s Pam Greenberg quoted.
NCSL resources on privacy protections.
- Tyco, Fire Districts Beat Chicago-Area Alarm Antitrust Suits
7.16.19 – Bloomberg Law – Tyco, Fire Districts Beat Chicago-Area Alarm Antitrust Suits. Posted July 15, 2019, 3:54 PM. By Mike Leonard. Ordinances require fire alarms to signal 911 …
- Alarm Detection Systems, Incorporated V. Orland Fire Protection District
7.17.19 – Leagle – This appeal is one of two we decide today regarding the market for commercial fire-alarm services in Chicago’s suburbs. Here …
- Get A Good Look! How To Easily Spot Fake Home Security Workers In Your Neighborhood.
7.17.19 – WFMY News 2 Greensboro – People in several triad neighborhoods are sounding the alarm on fake workers from a home security…
- California bars police from charging alarm companies for false calls
7.19.19 – SIW – New amendments to California Alarm Act to set to take effect next year.
- How the OSDP Standard Is Propelling Physical Access Control Forward
7.19.19 – SSI – Open Supervised Device Protocol is a communications standard developed to improve interoperability among access control and security products.
- The five keys to coaching without micromanaging
7-19-19 – SSN – Micromanager. There aren’t many worse labels to pin on a boss. When considering sales managers, the term is exponentially more volatile – and more common. It’s hard for a sales manager to not be considered a micromanager.
- Are counterfeit apps damaging your company’s brand?
7.17.19 – SIW – Cyber criminals are increasingly leveraging app clones and fakes to steal data, deliver unwanted ads
- This weekend’s heat wave is serious: Here’s how the CDC says to deal with it
7-19-19 – FC – To keep people safe from the excessive heat, officials are urging residents to drink plenty of water, stay indoors, and check on family and neighbors. To prevent heatstroke, the CDC recommends:
Fire & EMS News
- GA: UGA police blotter: Police shoot injured deer, child pulls fire alarm …
718.19 – A fire alarm was pulled by a four-year-old at the Tate Student Center on July 15, … to the report, police spoke with the child and told him not to set off the alarm.
- IN: Local Record: July 15, 2019
7.15.19 – Journal Review- Fire alarm. – 5:20 a.m.. • Medical call – 8:40 a.m.. • Medical call…
- MA: The show went on at the Zeiterion after fire alarm caused evacuation …
7.21.19 – New Bedford – The Zeiterion Performing Arts Center was evacuated Friday night after a fire alarm went off during a performance of “Mamma Mia!.”…
- PA: First-responders dispatched to fire alarm at Lionville Middle School overnight
7.16.19 – Uwchlan – First-responders were dispatched overnight for a fire alarm at Lionville Middle School of the Downingtown Area School District (DASD). The Uwchlan Township Police Department and Lionville ..
- PA: SkyVue Apartments Cited For Faulty Fire Alarm System – CBS Pittsburgh
7.17.19 – CBS – Pittsburg- The building failed to maintain a fully functioning fire alarm system, according to the inspection. The Pittsburgh code violation was …
- UT: Large fire guts Cottonwood Heights church
7.15.19 – KSL.com- Garner said the building had an alarm system, but it didn’t notify authorities for an unknown reason. Investigators were also sorting through the damage for a cost …
- WA: ‘Smart’ smoke detectors saved home, but fire officials still stress traditional ones
7.17.19 – Kitsap Sun – Kingston – A fire at a home in Kingston was put out quickly over the weekend while the residents were away, because of a “smart” smoke detector.
- WI: A man escaped a high-rise on fire by climbing down it in true “Spider-Man” style…
7.19.19 – WITI – Milwaukee – MFD: Man died in house fire, resident who got out awakened by smoke alarm News 2-family home suffers nearly $150K in damage after errant fireworks sparked fire
- WI: Lightning strike sparks house fire in Brookfield, no one injured…
7.19.19 – WITI – Milwaukee – Lightning strike sparks house fire in Brookfield, no one injured News 5 displaced following house fire, no one injured…
- CA: 5 people arrested following school burglary in Sacramento
7.17.19 – KCRA – Five people were arrested Thursday morning following a break-in at James Rutter Middle School in South Sacramento. … Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies responded to the school alarm around 5 a.m. Moments later they reported capturing five people seen running from the campus.
- CA: Gas station break-in in rural wine country unravel a series of such crimes
7.18.19 – KTVU – Sonoma – They saw the women swap the license plate on their Jetta for a stolen one. Then they smashed the glass door, but an alarm sounded, and they took off.
- CA: Glass break alert from alarm company leads WSPD to burglar
7.18.19 – West Sacramento – During the 4th of July celebrations, the West Sacramento Police Department responded to a commercial burglary at a local business. Luckily the business had an alarm service, and a “glass break alert” came in to the alarm company shortly after 2am. The alarm company then contacted the WSPD, and officers responded to the scene of the crime.
- CT: False bank robbery alarm at Stamford Government Center
7.16.19 – Stamford – Over a dozen police officers, some equipped with riot shields and rifles, responded to a false alarm that went off …
- FL: Construction worker falls 25 feet through gym sunroof, Orange County officials say…
7.18.19 – WESH – … Officials said he was conscious and alert. Crews said a fire suppression pipe was broken during the incident and set off a fire alarm. Officials are working to control the flow of water at the gym. … Crews said a fire suppression pipe was broken during the incident and set off a fire alarm.
- GA: Police: Fleeing burglary suspect impaled by table leg…
7-18-19 – WAGA – FOX 5 Atlanta – One burglary suspect had a rough night after Atlanta Police said they responded to an alarm call in Buckhead.
- KS: Woman arrested for aquatics center burglary…
7.18.19 – KSNT – Topeka – … (KSNT) A 19-year old woman was arrested on theft and burglary charges at a northern Shawnee County pool The Shawnee County Sheriff’s Department reports that around 3:45 Thursday morning, the Shawnee County Emergency Communications Center received an alarm at the Shawnee North Family Aquatics Center. When deputies arrived in the area, they saw a vehicle leaving the Aquatics Center. …
- KY: Bold thieves hit VFW twice in same night
7.17.19 – WAVE3 – The burglars were cutting what they likely thought was the alarm system. At 4:18 a.m., the two break through the exterior …
- MI: Break-ins target 4 west Michigan gun shops in less than week
7.16.19 – Surveillance video showed the guns being taken. An alarm alerted sheriff’s deputies to the break-in. The suspects fled in a white SUV that also was recorded on video. Authorities haven’t said whether …
- MI: ‘Several firearms’ stolen from Holland gun shop
7.15.19 – Grand Haven Tribune- Police said they responded to the burglary alarm at the store at 4:55 a.m.. The sheriff’s office said when officers …
- MI: Suspects at large after burglary at Long Range Archery and Firearms
7.15.19 – HollandSentinel.com- At 4:55 a.m. Sunday, the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office responded to a burglary alarm where Long Range Archery …
- NC: New Bern tobacco shop robbed early Friday morning…
7.19.19 – WCTI [ Greenville, NC – Authorities are searching for the person responsible for breaking into a Craven County store. The Craven County Sheriff’s Office responded around 4 a. m. Friday in reference to an alarm activation. …
- OH: Early morning burglary suspect is caught, Bainbridge Township Police Blotter…
7.20.19 – cleveland.com – After a resident heard a car alarm 4:40 a.m. July 13 and saw a man running away he called police. Police caught the man who is suspected of other burglaries on the street. An Azalea Circle resident also has video footage of the man enterin
- PA: VIDEO: Burglar Cuts Hole In Roof, Steals Over $8,000 From Sunoco Gas Station ATM In Chestnut Hill, Police Say…
7.19.19 – CBS Philly – … Sunday Firefighters Battle Two-Alarm Fire After Flames Break Out At Newtown Square Home Crews received reports of the flames just after 9:30 a.m. …
- TX: Career thief gets life for Montgomery County conviction…
7.18.19 – Houston Chronicle – … Conroe police officers responding to an alarm spotted Cordray’s truck leaving the area and stopped it for multiple traffic violations. …
- WA: Burglary shows why your home security system might not be the best line of defense
7.18.19 – Sammamish, Wash. – More than $50,000 worth of personal items were stolen from a Sammamish home and the burglars were caught on camera – just moments before cutting the cable lines.
- WA: Glass windows shattered at three different burglaries
7.15.19 – KEPR 19 – Kennewick, Wash. – According to Kennewick Police three different businesses were burglarized early Sunday morning. Around 5 a.m. Sunday the alarm …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams