Public Safety Updates
- BC: Delta police saving time with new false alarm strategy
5.15.18 – Delta-Optimist – “These false alarm calls take up an enormous amount of patrol resources, both in terms of their frequency and the overall time they take officers away from other …
- GA: Sandy Springs again amends false alarm ordinance
5.15.18 – MDJOnline.com – The city of Sandy Springs continues to tweak its false alarm ordinance in an effort to quell its ongoing battle with alarm companies and respond to their requests.
- GA: Sandy Springs reduces fines, extends appeal window for false alarms
5.16.18 – Atlanta Journal Constitution – Under the changes to the ordinance, the fine for the first false alarm remains at $25 for the alarm company. The second false alarm fine was reduced from $250
- KS: Council approves demolition, fire alarm penalties, pet crematorium
5.15.18 – WIBW – Topeka, Kan. – The Topeka City Council approved the demolition of three downtown buildings to make way for a downtown plaza Tuesday night.
- NJ: Reminder, East Brunswick: Register Home Alarms By May 31
5.17.18 – Patch.com – As Patch previously reported, East Brunswick is now requiring residents register their home security alarm systems, and will begin fining homes that accidentally …
- ON: Town looking to crack down on smoke detector false alarms
5.17.18 – Pembroke Daily Observer – In April, town firefighters responded to false fire alarms. On arrival at one scene, the occupant advised personnel that…
- Growing Syracuse alarm company seeks tax break for office upgrades
5.14.18 – Syracuse.com – Syracuse, N.Y. – An alarm monitoring company is seeking $400,000 in sales tax exemptions for $5 million in renovations and upgrades to its …
- Fire & Life Safety: More on Relays
5.17.18 – SecurityInfoWatch – Last column, I wrote about various applications where fire alarm relays could be used to integrate a commercial fire alarm system with other electrical systems at…
- What Happens When Amazon Acquires a ‘Real’ Security Company Like Vivint, Guardian or Brink’s?
5.18.18 – CEPro – Acquiring a national alarm company could help Amazon increase recurring monthly revenue (RMR), but also pave the way for Amazon to become a chief security officer (CSO) and managed service provider for the home.
- ADT growing its commercial business
5.15.18 – SSN – Boca Raton, Fla. – ADT is making some noise in the commercial space, where it is now doing approximately a billion dollars in business in comparison to the company’s multi-billion-dollar residential security business it has become synonymous with.
- Alarm Sensor Batteries: A Quick and Easy Guide
5.10.18 – SSI – Master technician Bob Dolph makes sense of the differences between all of those small alarm sensor batteries.
- Learning to Do the Robot: How the Security Industry Can Embrace Robotics
5.18.18 – SSI – Thought leaders lend a state-of-the-market view with the latest developments, applications, projections, regulatory issues and challenges in robotics, drones and AI.
|By RITCHIE | Relates to expedited licensing or certification for certain professions by military spouses, such professions include apartment vendors, appearance enhancement, athletic agents, bail enforcement agents, home inspection professionals, private investigators, security guards, real estate appraisers, security or alarm installers, ticket resellers and watch, guard or patrol agents.
Status: 05/10/2018 : REFERRED TO JUDICIARY
State & National News
- I-View Now Launches Free Police Alarm Portal
5.16.18 – Security Sales & Integration – Las Vegas – I-View Now announces the launch of its new Police Alarm Portal service. The patented process, powered by I-View Now’s Software as a Service
- Woman Says Home Security Cameras Hacked, Violating her Privacy
5.17.18 – NBC 6 South Florida – She had the alarm code to his house,” Fox said. He says she had asked Dr. Knight to check up on her. “When you give somebody access to your cameras and …
- More Great Hiring Tips in Tight Labor Market: Join Industry Forums, Pay for Referrals
5.16.18 – CEPro -Experienced home-technology integrator suggests participating in industry forums to find potential employees with the right skillsets, and offering generous bonuses for referrals.
- Are Your Customers Following These Home Security Do’s and Don’ts?
5.17.18 – SSI – A veteran security and safety analyst offers home security best practices to share with your customers.
- How surge protectors guard against security system downtime
5.15.18 – SIW – Risks to equipment, data posed by lightning strikes and power surges cannot be ignored
- The Importance of Merging Cultures After Acquisitions
5.10.18 – SSI – Security veteran Joe Nuccio explains why merging cultures is the most important aspect of acquisitions and offers best practices.
- Security Leadership Series: Don’t Stress Over PRESSURE
4.30.18 – SDM – Stress and pressure are two words that are often used interchangeably; but what if linking stress and pressure together doesn’t have to be the case? One does not always correlate to the other, and when we confuse these concepts, the benefits of both stress and pressure are quickly diminished. Understanding the difference between these words and learning how to leverage them in different leadership applications could mean the difference between success and failure for you and your team.
Fire & EMS News
- AZ: Nogales fire marshal says inspections are prevention
5.15.18 – Nogales International – As a fire burned at a private auto shop north of city limits last Thursday, the Nogales Fire Department was alerted to a fire alarm that went off at the former Kmart .
- CT: Police: Bloomfield business fire considered ‘suspicious’
5.15.18 – Norwich Bulletin – The fire triggered an alarm shortly before 3 a.m. Monday and caused extensive damage to the back of the building. Police say investigators have determined that ..
- IA: Alarm alerts Waterloo apartment residents to carbon monoxide
5.17.18 – Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier – The alarm in a third-floor apartment at the 12-plex sounded at around 5:30 a.m. Thursday, and firefighters recorded a reading above 40 parts per million when …
- IA: Locksmith Needed On Two Saturday Sheldon Fire Calls
5.14.18 – KIWARadio.com – The first report came at 8:21 Saturday morning, and it was to respond to a residential fire alarm in an unoccupied dwelling. Assistant Fire Chief Randy Harms …
- ID: Fire Alarm Triggered at Idaho State University Chemistry Building
5.14.18 – KPVI News 6 – There was no visible smoke, and within 20 minutes, firefighters determined a rubber belt on a generator in the basement triggered the alarm.
- IL: Police 5-17-18
5.17.18 – MyWebTimes.com – Streator firefighters responded at 2:50 p.m. Wednesday for a problem with a fire alarm which was reset. Streator firefighters responded at …
- MA: Police/Fire: Man accused of taking cyclist’s backpack
5.16.18 – Gloucester Daily Times – 10:26 a.m.: Police dispatched fire personnel on report of an activated fire alarm. It was a false activation. …
- NY: Geneseo police activity report
5.14.18 – The Livingston County News – Responded to a business for a fire alarm. …
- OH: Police Report
5.19.18 – Circleville Herald – General fire alarm activation at Peebles.
- PA: Arrest made after suspected meth lab found at Super 8 motel
5.15.18 – WPXI Pittsburgh – Craig Glasser is in custody after evidence of the potentially dangerous lab was discovered Tuesday when a fire alarm was triggered inside the motel.
- TX: Drunken mother disrupts school play, assaults officer, floods jail …
5.14.18 – KPRC Click2Houston – That night at the jail, “Churchwell set off the sprinkler system” in her cell, which set off the fire alarm and partially flooded the jail, according to the report.
- VA: Police: Naked Man Armed With Knife Found Dead in Hotel Room
5.16.18 – U.S. News & World Report – (AP) – Authorities say a naked man armed with a knife has been found dead after he apparently locked himself in a hotel room and set off a fire alarm.
- CA: Breakdancing burglary suspect caught on camera – wptv.com
5.14.18 – WPTV – Fresno County, California — Call him the break dancing bandit. Security video of a burglary in California shows the suspect break dancing …
- CA: Burglary suspect nabbed after chase over fences in northwest Fresno
5.16.18 – Fresno Bee – Fresno police early Wednesday arrested a man suspected of multiple burglaries after responding to an alarm at a Central Unified building…
- CA: One arrest in Santa Rosa cannabis dispensary burglary
5.16.18 – Santa Rosa Press Democrat – An alarm at a Santa Rosa cannabis dispensary early Wednesday alerted police to a burglary and officers arrested one of two suspects who ran from the building …
- CT: Store ATMs targeted in two Highland break-ins
5.14.18 – Hometownlife.com – A second alarm call was reported at 4:15 a.m. at the Spring Valley Party Store. Deputies reported finding the front door of the business …
- GA: Burglar Flees After Church Alarm Goes Off: Police
5.17.18 – Patch.com – The alarm sounds and he runs back to his vehicle and flees the area. The man is described as wearing a blue Hurley baseball hat, blue and white striped shirt, …
- GA: Sandy Springs Police blotter, April 15-May 5
5.17.18 – Reporter Newspapers – On April 15, responding to an alarm call just after 3 a.m., officers found a bicycle outside the front door of a restaurant and a …
- IA: Jefferson Authorities Investigating Attempted Break In At Shopko
5.18.18 – 1380 KCIM – At approximately 11:42 p.m. on Wednesday, May 16, officers responded to the business alarm at that location. Upon arrival, they learned that a concrete block …
- IL: Alarm system scared off would-be burglars in Fairview Heights, police …
5.17.18 – Belleville News-Democrat – Two men were scared away from a Fairview Heights home during an attempted burglary Thursday afternoon, police said. The suspects had knocked on the front …
- MA: Littleton police reports: May 3-10
5.15.18 – Wicked Local – Thursday, May 3. 8:34 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported.
- MA: Rochester police log, May 6-12
5.20.18 – Wicked Local – 9:41 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported. 12:57 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported …
- MA: Wakefield police log: May 7-13
5.16.18 – Wicked Local – 4:05 p.m. A burglar alarm was reported. …
- MD: Maryland police shoot and kill armed man after he ‘broke into a fast …
5.14.18 – Daily Mail – The Prince George’s County Police Department said that the unnamed man was killed while officers were responding to an alarm at a Checkers restaurant in …
- ME: South Portland Police Beat: May 18
5.17.18 – The Forecaster – 5/1 at 7:53 p.m. False alarm. 5/2 at 6:31 a.m. False alarm…
- MN: Downtown Farmington Subway robbery took less than a minute
5.14.18 – Farmington Independent – Farmington Police responded to an alarm call at around 3:40 a.m. May 9 that reported a door was broken into at the downtown fast food restaurant located off …
- MS: JPD investigates 2 business break-ins overnight
5.15.18 – WAPT Jackson – Jackson police were investigating two business burglaries overnight. An alarm went off about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Family Dollar, authorities …
- NJ: Burglar Entered Hillsborough Home While Mom Was Sleeping
5.17.18 – Patch.com – Hillsborough, NJ – A Hillsborough woman is warning residents to lock their doors and set their alarms after someone came into her home in the middle of …
- NM: Farmington police blotter for May 11
5.15.18 – Farmington Daily Times – Police responded to a report of a burglary alarm at 1:35 a.m…
- PA: Police seek 5 jewelry store burglars in Maidencreek
5.15.18 – WFMZ Allentown – The smashed window set off an alarm and when police arrived, the group fled in a stolen vehicle. Officials said the suspects drove over a few lawns before …
- TN: Police respond to string of Midtown restaurant crimes
5.15.18 – wreg.com – According to police, they discovered a broken window at Restaurant Iris around 4:42 a.m. Monday after the alarm went off. It’s unclear if anything was taken.
- TX: Police arrest woman suspected of robbing three banks in Austin
5.14.18 – FOX 7 Austin – On May 10th around 4 p.m. an alarm call was received from a Wells Fargo Bank. A bank employee told police a woman had …
- VT: Bristol Police Log: Officers keep eyes on Bristol
5.17.18 – Addison County Independent – On May 4 looked into an alarm at a local business and found it was due to employee error. • On May 4 received court paperwork to be served. Middlebury police …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams