Public Safety Updates
- GA: Gwinnett homeowners, business owners must soon register …
6.10.21 – WSB-TV. Gwinnett County, Ga. – Gwinnett County police are looking to curb the amount of false alarm calls … Crywolf to help cut down on the time officers spend on false alarms. … Police hope this will give officers more time to handle real crimes.
- ON: Police looking to put more responsibility on property owners …
6.8.21 – Bay Today – ‘Multiple officers could be tied up from a half an hour to 45 minutes … responsibility on property owners when dealing with false alarm calls.
- PA: Pair of Proposed Ordinances to Address False Alarms, Erie …
6.11.21 – Erie News Now – The goal of the ordinance would be to conserve Erie Fire Department resources and to ensure the department receives reimbursement for …
- PA: Troopers Charge Valley Business with False Alarms
6-7-21 – WKOK – Selinsgrove – State police respond to too may false alarms at an area business . . .Troopers at Selinsgrove were called to Sally Beauty …
- Going, going, gone: How the 3G phase-out can impact your …
6.9.21 – KSN – Cellular companies are starting to phase out the 3G network. If you’re using an old phone or security and alarm system, you may lose that service.
- Solink Delivers Video Verification to Revolutionize Alarm …
6.12.21 – Loss Prevention Media – Solink’s new Video Alarms delivers a complete alarm solution for customers using their existing security cameras with no sensors or alarm …
- ADT Technician Receives 52-Month Sentence for Home Video Hack
6.11.21 – SSI – Telesforo Aviles admitted to repeatedly logging into female customers’ accounts in order to view their video feeds for sexual gratification.
- SIA Terminates Dahua’s Membership for Violating Code of Ethics
6.9.21 – SSI – Dahua says the termination is “wrong on substance and the decision was reached through a deeply flawed process, and most importantly, lacked evidentiary basis.”
- COPS Acquires Wholesale Monitoring Business From Security Partners
6.8.21 – SSI – The migration of Security Partners’ more than 100,000 dealer accounts is scheduled to be completed by early fall.
- Examining Elevated Smart Home Use Cases During COVID-19
6.8.21 -SSI – Companies that address the growing health and safety needs of consumers are being rewarded, taking share from those that are slower to adapt to this dramatic shift in the market.
- Security Integrator Opportunities in Sight & Sound
6.7.21 – SSI – Shifting preferences in work and at-home life has created new opportunities for security pros to grow their business with residential A/V equipment and services.
- To Handshake, Or Not To Handshake?
6.10.21 – CI: With employees starting to return to work, is it OK to start shaking hands with others again? Yes, if you’re comfortable
- Why Integrators Need To Start Taking Cybersecurity Seriously
6.8.21 – CI: Thanks to a recent spate of cyberattacks, drumming up new business could soon require integrators to harden their cyber defenses.
- Fire & Security Industries: Offering a Holistic Strategy to Building Owners
6.9.21 – SSI – While the pandemic has presented new challenges, it has been a perfect example of how the industry can learn and adapt.
Fire & EMS
- WI: Kitchen fire causes at least $10,000 damage, but sprinkler …
6.12.21 – WSJ – Damage to a kitchen where hot oil sparked a fire in Fitchburg early Saturday. FITCHBURG FIRE DEPARTMENT. A sprinkler system at a Fitchburg …
- AR: Alleged burglar tells two deputies ‘I want to go to jail’
6.9.21 – Sentinel Record – An intoxicated and homeless man allegedly caught burglarizing a house late Monday reportedly told Garland County sheriff’s deputies he broke into the home because he wanted to go to jail.
- CA: Man Arrested for North of Montana Burglary, Two Others At …
6.9.21 – Santa Monica Lockout – Two other suspects — a Hispanic man and a Hispanic or White woman — are still at large, said Police Department spokesman Lt. Rudy Flores.
- CA: Man attempts to rob Madera bank after being jailed for robbing …
6.8.21 – KSEE – Man attempts to rob Madera bank after being jailed for robbing Fresno bank just 5 days earlier, police say. Local News.
- CA: Would-Be Burglar Tries, Fails to Break Into McKinleyville ATM …
6.9.21 – Lost Coast Outpost — … deputies from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office North Area Command responded to the Tri Counties Bank branch for a report of an alarm.
- CO: Thieves target Aspen Louis Vuitton store
6.10.21 – 9News – Thieves in Aspen cut hole in wall, steal $500k in goods from Louis Vuitton store. The thieves cut a hole in the drywall to enter the store and were …
- CO: Three Denver police officers, 4 deputies disciplined for …
6.7.21 – Denver Post – Three Denver police officers, 4 deputies disciplined for careless or excessive use of force. … Disciplinary letters for the officers and deputies provided by the Denver Department of Public Safety show that one deputy and one officer were suspected for grabbing or placing pressure on someone’s neck.
- IN: Investigation underway following burglary at Evansville business
6.13.21 – (WFIE) – An investigation is underway after an Evansville business’s front door had been busted out. Police responded to Crush Vapor and …
- MI: Police investigate burglary at Holland-area communications …
6.10.21 – Mlive – Ottawa County sheriff deputies are investigating a break-in at a Tele-Rad store in Holland Township.
- MN: Thieves target Rochester ATMs by using tow strap and a truck
6.8.21 – KIMT – Police said Tuesday that the ATM at the Mayo credit union suffered around $50,000 in damage and money was stolen after the suspects tied a tow strap to it and dragged it behind a truck, which had three people inside. The same method was attempted at the Minnwest Bank.
- MT: Two suspects taken into custody following Bozeman bank …
6.11.21 – Bozeman, Mont. – Two men were taken into custody following a robbery at First Security Bank, located at 624 South Cottonwood Road, …
- OK: Deputies investigating dispensary burglary in western Oklahoma
6.7.21 – KFOR – Authorities with the Washita County Sheriff’s Office are asking for the public’s help identifying two suspects who broke into a local dispensary.
- OR: Thousands of dollars worth of glasses stolen from NE Portland eye care clinic
6.11.21 – Portland, OR (KPTV) – A thief was caught on camera breaking into an eye care clinic in northeast Portland getting away with tens of thousands of dollars worth of glasses. The co-founder of Alberta Eye Care, James Armstrong, told FOX 12 this is the second break-in at the clinic in less than a year.
- SC: Man attempts to rob Check Into Cash in Anderson
6.8.21 – Yahoo -Anderson — Police are searching for a man they say tried to rob a Check Into Cash in Anderson on Monday afternoon. Anderson …
- TX: Residents see increase in property crime as summer rolls …
6.7.21 – Lubbock TX – Residents see increase in property crime as summer rolls around. … Back in 2019, 5,503 homes and vehicles were affected by crimes. In 2020 LPD saw around a 13% decrease most likely due to the pandemic, but with more people put this year the number could go back up.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Vacant
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald