- Security services employee attacked by dog in Toledo …
5.26.20 – Toledo (WTVG) – A security services employee was injured during a service call when he was attacked by a dog Saturday morning in Toledo. The ADT employee was servicing a home alarm when a loose pit bull attacked him, biting his right leg.
- News Poll: Industry weighs in on future of in-person conferences
5.27.20 – SSN – YARMOUTH, Maine—Respondents are split on in-person conferences being held in 2020, and whether or not they would attend if shows are held. Most say it will take time to fully recover.
- CEDIA Expo 2020 Cancelled; Virtual Experience Planned
5.28.20 – CEPro – Colorado Convention Center in Denver to be retained as a COVID-19 field hospital through the end of 2020, forcing cancellation of CEDIA Expo
State & National News
- CDC Issues Blueprint for Employers to Reopen Amid Pandemic
5.29.20 – SSI – The guidelines are intended to remake office spaces and run from technical advice on HVAC systems, erecting physical barriers, promoting hygiene and more.
- 19 Key Coronavirus Questions You Must Answer for Business Recovery
5.26.20 – CEPro – Integrators must grapple with their business needs for insurance, human resources, tax, rent, loans and other vital areas to succeed post-COVID-19.
- Resimercial: A Welcome Home Where Resi Meets Commercial
5.29.20 – CEPro – Now more than ever, custom integrators can find opportunities and familiarities in various light commercial markets such as corporate offices, bars/restaurants,
retail shops, houses of worship and more.
- 7 Quick Tips for Leadership Self-Care During Quarantine
5.27.20 – CEPro – While the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has shifted the way businesses are run, it’s very important for business leaders to take the time to practice good self-care.
- Your Paycheck Protection Program Loan Has Funded. Now What?
5.28.20 – SSI – Industry accountant Mitch Reitman delivers PPP loan insights and clarifications for installing security and fire/life-safety businesses to consider.
- Honeywell Unveils ‘Healthy Buildings’ Solutions to Help Businesses Comply With New Policies
5.27.20 – SSI – The new solutions introduce the Healthy Buildings Score, IoT software that analyzes building sensor data to calculate how suitable a building is for reopening.
- The New Age of the Workplace After COVID-19
5.28.20 – CI – We’re currently engaged in the largest work-from-home experiment in history. It was thrust upon us, but I’m willing to wager the result will be positive.
Fire & EMS News
- AL: Smoke alarms, sprinklers credited with saving lives …
5.25.20 – Gadsden Times – A bad situation Saturday morning could have been a tragic one, according to Rainbow City firefighters, when a kitchen fire started in a group …
- KY: Lexington Burger King closed after fire
5.26.20 – WDKY – The location experienced a fire in the kitchen. Police said the call originally came out as a burglary alarm, but they noticed the smoke and flames coming from the roof when they arrived around 9:30 p.m. Monday night. All the workers made it out safely.
- NY: Smoke alarm at Boston Hotel’s Steak & Crab prompts …
5.29.20 – Lancaster, N.Y. (WIVB) — A smoke alarm went off at Boston Hotel’s Steak & Crab on Friday morning, prompting a response from fire crews. It was quickly …
- VA: Harrisonburg family escapes potentially deadly carbon …
5.26.20 – A family of six in Harrisonburg is lucky to be alive after a malfunctioning gas-fire appliance filled a home with potentially deadly carbon monoxide Tuesday morning. At approximately 5:15 a.m., 9-1-1 operators received a call from inside a residence.
- AR: Burglary suspects caught inside house, claim to have …
5.28.20 – Sentinel Record – A local man and woman caught inside another woman’s house after setting off the burglar alarm early Wednesday, who claimed to have permission to be there, were arrested on felony charges after drugs were also found in their possession.
- CA: Burglary suspect falls from ceiling of laundromat, cops say
5.26.20 – Ventura County Star – Via surveillance video, he saw a man hanging down from the ceiling inside the location. When officers arrived they saw the suspect, identified as 25-year-old Cody Brynarsky, inside the laundromat.
- CA: Jim Burke Ford dealership showroom vandalized for second …
5.28.20 – KGET – Bakersfield, Calif. — For the second time in less than two weeks, the Jim Burke Ford was struck by a vandal at its downtown showroom, causing tens of thousands of dollars in damages. The dealership was first hit on May 10, when a vandal used dozens of rocks to break showroom windows and damage at least 15 vehicles.
- CA: Man says he broke into San Diego Wells Fargo bank to heat …
5.27.20 – 10news – A man told 10News as he was being arrested that he broke into a Chollas View Wells Fargo bank so he can heat up his Hot Pocket sandwich.
- CA: Simi Valley Police arrested a man for breaking into a laundry …
5.25.20 – KEYT – Simi Valley, Calif. – Early Monday morning the owner of Tapo coin Laundry was alerted to an alarm activation at his business. In surveillance …
- FL: Fort Myers police arrest man accused of breaking into a Publix
5.28.20 – WINK- A man was arrested after police say he stole a car and broke into a Fort Myers Publix before tripping a fire alarm. Around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, …
- GA: Man breaks into Macon Family Dollar, steals over $300 worth …
5.28.20 – WMAZ – Bibb deputies need your help finding a man who broke into a Macon Family Dollar and stole “large boxes” of M&M’s and Reese’s candy.
- IA: Sioux City Police investigating two overnight “smash and grab …
5.31.20 – SIOUX CITY, Iowa — Two Sioux City vape shops were burglarized overnight in what Sioux City Police are calling a “smash and grab”. Just before midnight Friday, SCPD responded to an alarm at Alohma Vape on Gordon Drive where they discovered the front glass door was broken and items were taken.
- IL: Man arrested after attempted ATM burglary at Loop bank …
5.25.20 – chicago.suntimes – Officers found him in a bank, where he used tools to try getting into an ATM, police said. … Dearborn Street and found the man inside, Chicago police said. …
- IL: Two gunmen rob Family Dollar store in Gurnee
5.28.20 – L ake and McHenry County Scanner – Police are searching for two gunmen who robbed a Family Dollar store of money in Gurnee on Sunday.
- KS: Kansas deputy finds suspect at scene of business burglary
5.31.20 – Salina Post – The deputy located and arrested the suspect identified as Danny W. De La O, 27, of Topeka. He faces requested charges of burglary, theft and criminal damage to property. Langdon- photo Shawnee Co.
- KS: Shawnee County deputy responds to alarm, one burglary …
5.29.20 – KSNT – Deputies arrested 27-year-old Danny De La O on charges of burglary, … Shawnee County deputy responds to alarm, one burglary arrest made.
- MI: Youth is arrested for gas station break-in
5.28.20 – Tri City Times – Imlay City – Police, K-9 dog help track down 16-year-old suspect. A 16-year-old Imlay City youth has been arrested for breaking into the Exxon gas station …
- MN: BREAKING: Wright County Sheriff’s Office Seek Suspect in …
5.26.20 – North Wright County Today – The man smashed windows at the Riverview store and escaped …
- NH: Police: NH burglary suspect shattered CVS window with large rock
5.26.20 – WHDH – A Manchester, New Hampshire, man is facing criminal charges after police say he shattered the window of a CVS with a large rock
- NY: Elmira Police Department investigating early morning theft
5.25.20 – WETM – The Elmira Police Department is trying to identify the person in regards to a theft that occurred at the Coldiron Fuel gas station …
- NY: Police Search For Suspect In Long Island Verizon Store Burglary
5.30.20 – dailyvoice.com › Suffolk › Police & Fire – An investigation is underway after an overnight burglary at a Long Island Verizon Wireless store. Nassau County Police Second Precinct officers on patrol discovered a broken window with an alarm ringing at the store on Saturday, May 30 just before 2 a.m.
- NY: Suspect Nabbed Shortly After Overnight Burglary Of Long …
5.31.20 – Daily Voice – A 21-year-old suspect was caught shortly a Long Island business was burglarized overnight. The owner of Touch of Class Collision, located in Valley Stream, received a notification from his alarm company that an unknown subject was inside his store at about 1 a.m.
- OH: Wilmington man found guilty; sentenced to prison for robbing …
5.30.20 – News Journal – Wilmington – A Wilmington man was sentenced to six years in prison after he was found guilty of robbing a convenience store and beating the cashier in December.
- RI: Providence police are looking to identify victim of armed robbery
5.28.20 – NBC 10 WJAR – The Providence Police Department is looking to identify an armed robbery victim. The department says the armed robbery took place at the Broadway Express …
- TX: Theft and burglary cases caught on video, Golf USA in …
5.28.20 -Everythinglubbock,com – Lubbock, Texas – Golf USA, 6701 Indiana Avenue, provided surveillance video to EverythingLubbock.com this week showing a break-in. Golf USA in Lubbock said stores in other cities have been the target of a similar crime.
- VA: Richmond business owner says his store was looted during …
5.30.20 – Richmond, Va. (WRIC) – A Richmond store owner tells 8News his store was broken into by protesters during Friday night’s protests over the death of George Floyd. The owner of 804 Tobacco, Moe Armin, said he watched the entire scene unfold on his phone after getting a notification from his security company.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela