Public Safety Updates
- AR: Council provides for virtual meetings, adjusts sewer rates
5.3.20 – Arkansas Democrat Gazette – Highfill — City Council members adopted ordinances on April 14 allowing for online attendance at meetings, raising sewer rates, changing a street name, and allowing for false-alarm penalties to be imposed against those with repeat false alarms.
- Security Partners closes central station after operator tests positive for coronavirus
4.29.20 – SSN – Lancaster, Pa.- Based here in one of the hardest hit states being in such close proximity to New York, Security Partners LLC had what any company would consider its worst fear come true: An employee working at one of its three central stations had tested positive for coronavirus. Monitoring company relies on triple redundancy during five-day shutdown of San Antonio center, and temporary shutdown of Lancaster site
State & National News
- As States Allow Businesses to Reopen, Who Is Liable When …
4.29.20 – The DIspatch – Mitch McConnell says there is a ‘red line on liability’ as Congress prepares for …
- Additional $370B in Coronavirus Funds Now Available
4.27.20 – CEPro – Paycheck Protection Program & Health Care Act includes $310B for small business paycheck protection and $60B in economic disaster loans.
- DOL Extends ERISA Time Frames
4.30.20- NSBA – On Wednesday, April 29, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) issued deadline relief and other guidance … to help employee benefit plans, plan participants and beneficiaries, employers and other plan sponsors, plan fiduciaries, and other service providers impacted by the coronavirus outbreak.
- WA: Local businesses hit hard by burglars as crime spikes during …
5.1.20 – KOMO – Officers dusted for prints at Eden Hill Provisions in Queen Anne. The break-in amounted to a $5000 hit for owner …
- Examining AI Trends and Growth in Home Security
4.29.20 – SSI – Parks Associates explains the benefits that will be realized in full once there is an alignment of AI-enabled hardware, system software and intelligent call center services.
- Keeping Unoccupied Stores Safe from Burglaries or Looting in the Time of the Coronavirus
3.31.20 – Security – Crooks used to doing home burglaries to get their drug money (their first reason, followed by a gambling addiction as the second), will soon realize the liquor store, hardware store and pizza shop are closed. With a truck and a brick, they are back in business.
- Help Your Employees by Applying for the Paycheck Protection Program
4.28.20 – CI – Small integration firms can take care of their employees by applying for the U.S. SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program and by offering other aid.
- How Integrators Can Help Clients Reopen After the COVID-19 Lockdown
5.1.20 – SSI – A security integrator details the camera, sensor and AI-based software solutions it is deploying to help its customers combat COVID-19.
- How to Actually Calculate Company Value Based on RMR
4.20.20 – SSI – Buying or selling accounts? RMR is defined in different ways, and you need a very careful understanding of how it is going to be calculated for your deal.
- What’s New In Security Operations Software?
5.1.20 – SDM – Some of the security industry’s leading software developers share their latest developments.
- Why a Long-Term Vision Is Essential to Safely Reopen Businesses
4.30.20 – SSI – While video analytics can form the core of a COVID-19 response to help open shuttered facilities, no AI platform will be sufficient by itself.
- Security tech’s role in mitigating the spread of coronavirus
5.1.20 – SIW – As leaders weigh how to best reopen the economy, security solutions will have a significant part to play
- How to assess risk in the new age of normal
4.28.20 – SIW – The COVID-19 crisis figures to be a transformational event for security technology
- Creative sales strategies to weather the COVID-19 shutdown
4.29.20 – SIW – Despite the obstacles posed by social distancing measures, now is not the time to be idle as a security company
- How COVID-19 and social distancing helps build better salespeople
4.30.20 – SIW – A look at the ways salespeople can hone their skills during these uncertain times
Fire & EMS News
- MO: Smoke Alarm Saves Three Lives in Springfield Fire …
- 4.27.20 – Ozarks Independent – Three people are alive today because of a smoke detector that was installed as part of the Springfield Fire Department’s Project RED Zone. The fire alarm was …
- CA: Thieves Break In, Steal Valuable Model Train Pieces: Store …
4.30.20 – Bay City News – Concord, CA — Model railroaders are a tight-knit group, and when the Just Trains store outside of Concord suffered a break-in burglary early Tuesday morning, owner Jim Anthony heard from a fair number of modelers, even before a Facebook post about it drew 17,000 views and more than 800 shares.
- FL: Damage from an attempted burglary at a Tampa business is …
4.28.20 – WTSP – Damage from an attempted burglary at a Tampa business is transformed into a tribute for front line workers. What started out as an attempted …
- FL: Jacksonville: Speedway clerk ambushed, shot during robbery …
5.2.20 – Action News Jax – According to police, the clerk was forced inside and shot in the legs while a robbery took place.
- GA: Thieves steal safe, damage alarm system at BJ Roosters …
4.29.20 – Project Q – Thieves took advantage of the coronavirus shutdown, breaking into a popular gay Atlanta bar and stealing its safe
- GA: Two juveniles caught after burglary of Academy Sports …
4.29.20 – Valdosta Today- A VPD K-9 unit located two juveniles who had broken into the Academy Sports store in Valdosta.
- IA: Cedar Rapids police arrest 14-year-old after early morning burglary
4.30.20 – KCRG – Thursday morning. Officers said they found a window had been broken and entry to the business had been made. Officers also said they were able to capture a 14-year-old suspect after a brief pursuit on foot.
- IL: Police arrest Moline man after U-Haul robbery …
4.27.20 – Quad City Times – A suspect in an armed robbery is being held in Rock Island County Jail after an overnight police chase. Bradley L. Rhyne, 30, of Moline, is being held without …
- MO: Burglar alarm leads to discovery of fire at Port Orchard middle …
4.29.20 – KOMO – Port Orchard, Wash. — A break-in apparently led to a fire at a Port Orchard middle school early Wednesday morning. A burglary alarm …
- MS: Police seek suspects in Tyson’s burglary
4.30.20 – The South Reporter – Tyson Drugs was burglarized Saturday night and Holly Springs Police Department detectives are asking the public’s help in identifying two …
- NE: LPD: Laundry Store Owner Discovers Burglar While Checking …
5.1.20 – KLIN – The Lincoln Police Department reports officers were called to City Laundry around 2:15 Friday morning after the owner, while investigating an internal alarm triggered around an hour before, discovered a person in an interior room.
- NY: Two charged in overnight burglary at Gates gas station.
4.28.20 – (WHAM) – Two men were arrested and charged by Gates Police after allegedly smashing a convenience store door and stealing cigarettes and cash. Police were called to the Gas-N-Go store around 3:30 a.m. after a burglary alarm was triggered.
- OH: Police investigating string of cigarette bandit burglaries at …
4.28.20 -ABC5 – Akron, Ohio — Akron police are investigating a string of burglaries at Family Dollar stores across the city. The first burglary occurred early …
- ON: Man arrested for B&E after police respond to alarm
5.1.20 – Timmins Press – A Timmins man was arrested after police responded to a burglary alarm at a retail store early Friday morning.
- TN: Man arrested for break-in robbery of Hendersonville Discount Tobacco store.
- 4.30.20 – WZTV. Police said they received a burglar alarm call at the American Discount Tobacco store on Wednesday. Officers arrived to find a window broken and discovered Davis still in the store.
- TX: Break-ins at salons increasing during coronavirus pandemic …
- 4.29.20 – KENS -5 – Break-ins at salons increasing during coronavirus pandemic. Two hair salons were broken into recently, including D’Anthony Salon Spa …
- WI: Two arrested after alleged break in and theft from Zarate’s …
- 5.1.20 – Journal Time s – Raymond — A man and woman from Milwaukee were arrested early Friday after they reportedly broke into Zarate’s Auto Sales and stole …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela