- OR: Corvallis Aims to End False Alarms
5.28.21 – The Corvallis Advocate – Starting June 1, the City of Corvallis is partnering with CentralSquare False Alarm Solutions to create a …
- TN: Former officer challenges Memphis policy after being hit with …
5.29.21 – MEMPHIS, Tenn. … Property owners receive fines for false alarm calls. There’s no fee for the first false alarm, but after that it’s a written notice with a $50 fine and a $90 cost for service.
- NIST releases tips and tactics for dealing with ransomware
5.14.21 – Homeland Security Today – Used in cyberattacks that can paralyze organizations, ransomware is malicious software that encrypts a computer system’s data and demands payment to restore access. To help organizations protect against ransomware attacks and recover from them if they happen, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has published an infographic offering a series of simple tips and tactics.
- False alarm fees… among few casualties from legislative deadline day
5.24.21 – Nevada Independent – The bill was aimed at avoiding punishing alarm companies for false alarms — a lobbyist for ADT Security Services described it as “sending an individual’s speeding ticket to General Motors.” The bill passed the Senate on an 18-3 vote on April 20, but died in the Assembly after being placed on the chief clerk’s desk on Friday.
- 4 Steps to Bolster Profits That You Can Start Immediately
5.25.21 – CEPro – Author Mike Michalowicz outlines key cash management tips such as using multiple bank accounts, constraining revenue & more in CE Pro VIP Peer-to-Peer group webinar.
- Analyzing Risk When Designing Mass Notification Systems
5.28.21 – SSI – Risk identification should be done at the beginning of a project, but also throughout a project and in the case of an MNS, for the duration of the system.
- How AI Converts Business Intelligence Into Growth
5.26.21 – SSI – With a simple analytics layer to turn unstructured data into business intelligence, installers can use it to grow and expand their
- The Quest for Electronic Access Control Best Practices
5.26.21 – SSI – Electronic access control (EAC) vulnerability is always a hot topic and knowledge of such can set you apart from all the amateurs.
- Go Behind the Scenes at the ADT Engineering Lab
5.25.21 – SSI – The ADT Engineering Lab in Boca Raton, Fla., tests every device that ADT installs for everything from voltage to heat to
- Google Support for Matter Smart Home Protocol: What’s it All Mean?
5.24.21 – SSI – Google said it will use the Matter smart home protocol across all Nest devices. What does that entail for security dealers and custom
Fire & EMS
- IA: Saved by smoke alarm
5.29.21 – Messinger News – Foote said the smoke alarms were a huge factor in alerting him to the fire. The Fort Dodge Police Department was also on scene.
- MN: Brainerd fire crews respond to several alarms .
5.25.21 – Brainerd Dispatch – Brainerd fire crews respond to several alarms · Called at 8:44 a.m. to a fire alarm, but were canceled en route.
- AR: Man who tore clothes off to keep imaginary snakes from biting …
5.26.21 – KTLO – Man who tore clothes off to keep imaginary snakes from biting him put on probation for five years.
- MD: Pasadena prescription pill heist from CVS ends in three …
5.27.21 – Capital Gazette – Three people are in custody and a fourth person on the run after the group tied … Pasadena prescription pill heist from CVS ends in three suspects … Police arrested Mitchell and Brown after they tripped an alarm while trying …
- MN: Repeat burglars caught on surveillance camera, later on roof …
5.26.21 – White Bear Press – A Plymouth man, 29, faces up to 10 years in prison and/or a maximum $20000 fine for second-degree burglary and possessing tools of the ..
- NC: Bandits target ATMs in recent Fayetteville commercial burglaries
5.24.21 – Fayetteville Observer – Thieves have been targeting ATM machines at closed Fayetteville businesses since February and investigators need the public’s help in …
- NE: LPD investigating break-in at Lincoln Vapor
5.24.21 – KOLN – Officers with the Lincoln Police Department are looking into a break-in this weekend at Lincoln Vapor.
- TN: Attempted overnight burglary leads to car chase in Loudon …
5.24.21 – Loudon County Sheriff’s Office, TN. LENOIR CITY, TN – An attempted overnight burglary inside Lenoir City Limits led LCSO Deputies on a two county vehicle pursuit that ended after Loudon City Police were able to deploy spike strips.
- TX: When the smoke cleared, Houston shop gets lucky after …
5.28.21- Missouri City, Texas (BRAIN) – A smoke deterrent didn’t prevent a smash-and-grab at a Houston area bike shop early Sunday morning, but ..
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Vacant
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald