Public Safety Updates
- MO: CFD responds to alarm, encourages use of knox boxes …
5.7.20 – Chillicothe News – At 2:21 a.m., the morning of May 7, the Chillicothe Fire Department (CFD) received a call from dispatch of an automatic fire alarm at Ricks …
- The Response to COVID-19: Digital Monitoring Centers
5.5.20 – CI: Digital monitoring centers or social media command centers allow operators to monitor and respond to conversations that are happening online instantly.
- SIA Launches OSDP Verified Program
4.27.20 – SDM – The Security Industry Association (SIA) has introduced SIA OSDP Verified, a new comprehensive testing program that validates a device’s conformance to the SIA Open Supervised Device Protocol (OSDP) standard and related performance protocols.
- Vector Assists in Making Georgia County Latest to Implement ASAP-to-PSAP
5.6.20 – SSI – Vector Security assisted with implementation of ASAP-to-PSAP in DeKalb County, Ga., by helping to conduct extensive testing prior to the system going live.
- Coronavirus Pandemic Punishes Biometric Shipments, Surge Seen in Facial Recognition
5.6.20 – SSI – Contact biometric technologies like fingerprint and vein have been dealt a substantial blow due to new governmental regulations, ABI says.
- Why video content analytics has a critical role to play in the pandemic
5.8.20 – SIW – Intelligent analytics can help protect the public and prevent the spread of coronavirus
- Why COVID-19 could drive increased industry consolidation
5.6.20 – Memoori predicts higher volume, value of M&A deals in wake of pandemic
- Genetec’s Occupancy Management Package
5.7.20 – SIW – Solution enables businesses to tap into their security system to count people, visualize data, and manage occupancy density rules
State & National News
- Could empty streets mean bolder burglars?
5.4.20 – KOIN – A burglar broke into a popular iPhone repair shop in Southeast Portland over the weekend and made off with cash and equipment. The incident was recorded by the store’s security cameras.
- Hank Investigates: Home security company concerns …
5.8.20 – WHDH – Investigative reporter Hank Phillippi Ryan found some say the company is cause for alarm. The keypad is still outside her kitchen. The sensors ..
- Tampa and Hillsborough adds new 656 area code …
5.8.20 – Tampa Dispatch – On Thursday, the State of Florida Public Service Commission (PSC) announced a new area code for Hillsborough County: 656. The county’s new …
- Survey: Two-thirds Uncomfortable Returning To Work Right Now
5.7.20 – CI – According to experience management company Qualtrics, workers want to see their company take steps to make the workplace safe before returning.
- COVID-19 Impact: Industry Associations’ Joint Survey Exposes Toll on Business
5.7.20 – SSI – Results from a survey of businesses across the electronic security and life-safety ecosystem sheds light on the negative impact the coronavirus crisis is having on the industry, despite its role as an essential service in the United States economy.
- Majority of Millennial Renters Feel Unsafe at Home
5.5.20 – SSI – An Allegion survey indicates most millennials have long-term plans to live in an apartment building, and that safety and security are top priorities.
- How 3 Security Contractors Are Pivoting to Weather the Economic Storm
5.4.20 – SSI – Three security company executives discuss how their organizations are reacting strategically in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Why Beauty Matters When Designing, Installing Technology
5.5.20 – CEPro – This quality may be the last thing you’re thinking about when creating a system for clients, but science reveals it as an essential ingredient to their satisfaction.
- CE Pro Podcast #5: Analyzing Your Immediate Post-Coronavirus Upgrade Opportunities
5.8.20 – CE Pro Podcast panel says integrators should focus on smaller, immediate voice control, video surveillance and wellness as the top potential upgrade areas.
- Do You Use the Force or Embrace the Dark Side in Your Business Leadership?
5.4.20 – CI – Star Wars Day has me thinking about different leadership styles and how they’ve developed over the past 40 years, along with a certain sci-fi family saga.
- How to Operate a Central Station During a Pandemic
5.7.20 – SSI – Without question, the short-term effects of COVID-19 will be difficult to overcome, and the long-term effects will be difficult to foresee. Here are tips for maintaining the status quo.
Fire & EMS News
- MA: Raynham Fire Department extinguishes early morning blaze …
5.7.20 – The Enterprise – Raynham – Firefighters extinguished a grease fire that broke out at a BBQ restaurant early Thursday. They were called to 2 Jerks BBQ at about 12:30 a.m. for reports of smoke coming from the building and an activated fire alarm, according to the Raynham Fire Department.
- NY: Small fire breaks out at Amazon warehouse in Henrietta …
5.9.20 – Henrietta, N.Y. (WHEC) – A small fire broke out early Saturday morning at the Amazon warehouse in Henrietta. The Henrietta Fire District responded around 3:30 a.m. to an automatic fire alarm at the Amazon warehouse. … Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and no injuries were reported.
- OK: Smoke alarm saves Oklahoma City family from fire
5.9.20 – Oklahoma City (KFOR) – A smoke alarm saved a sleeping family and their dog from a fire that ended up causing extensive damage to their …
- CA: FBI searching for suspect involved in armed bank robbery in …
5.10.20 – Santa Maria, Calif. – FBI Los Angeles is searching for the suspect involved in an armed robbery at the Community Bank of Santa Maria on Friday. Santa Maria …
- CA: Santa Maria police investigate bank robbery on South Broadway
5.8.20 – Newsbreak – Santa Maria, Calif. – The Santa Maria Police Department responded to reports of a robbery at the Community Bank of Santa Maria.
- CT: Police Officer Injured In Crash On Way To Call, Police Say …
5.5.20 – Daily Voice – A police officer was injured after a vehicle pulled out in front of him causing him to swerve and smash into a utility pole while responding to a …
- DE: Bridgeville’s OA Newton burglarized …
5.5.20 – Dover Post – … commercial burglary in Bridgeville. The incident occurred around 1:45 a.m. on Monday, May 4, when troopers were dispatched to OA Newton …
- FL: Two men arrested in connection to Kevin’s Guns & Sporting …
5.6.20 – WCTV – Two men arrested in connection to Kevin’s Guns & Sporting Goods heist. Marchay Cromartie (left), 18, and 22-year-old Kwantreus Duncan (right) …
- IL: 5 arrested in Taylorville smash and grab …
5.7.20 – Taylorville, Ill. (WAND) – Five people have been arrested in connection with a smash and grab at a store in Taylorville.
- KS: Burglar on the loose, break-ins unsolved in Pratt …
5.7.20 – Pratt Tribune – Recent thefts and crimes in Pratt have left some to wonder if crime is on the rise in the area and if people should take additional precautions.
- KY: Henderson Police respond to burglary alarm …
5.9.20 – Henderson, Ky. (WEHT)- The Henderson Police Department says they responded to a burglary alarm at a business …
- MI: Kent Co. cellphone store broken into.
5.10.20 – Grand Rapids, Mich. (WOOD) — The T-Mobile cellphone store was broken into early Sunday morning, according to dispatch. Authorities said the alarm sounded just after 5 a.m. at the T-Mobile store…
- NC: WPD: Would-be church burglar gets vehicle stuck on embankment during escape.
5.8.20 – Wilmington, N.C. … As he tried to flee the scene, he managed to get his vehicle stuck on an embankment as officers arrived. Doyle was arrested and charged with felony breaking and entering.
- NJ: Burglary Suspects Escape Livingston Mall After Being Locked …
5.8.20 – Tap Into – According to Livingston police, three unidentified individuals forced their way through a loading dock door and into the Macy’s department store at …
- NY: Suspect Nabbed In Overnight Burglary At Long Island Business
5.8.20 – Daily Voice – Kainzbauer was charged with third-degree burglary and fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property. He will be held overnight at the Sixth Precinct, and is scheduled to be arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip on Saturday, May 9.
- OH: Akron detectives investigating multiple smash-and-grab thefts …
5.7.20 – www.cleveland19.com – Police are investigating a string of smash-and-grab thefts that occurred overnight at a pair of Akron-area stores.
- PA: Shopping Center Hit By Burglar –
5.7.20 – LevittownNow.com – … were hit by a burglar over the weekend. Falls Township police said that on Sunday they were called to the Lincoln Corner Shopping Center …
- SC: Winnsboro man arrested for growing marijuana after deputies …
5.8.20 – WLTX – Deputies were responding to an alarm call when they spotted marijuana growing in the home through a broken window.
- TX: Texarkana Police Investigating Overnight ATM Burglary …
5.7.20 – txktoday.com – Texarkana, Texas – The Texarkana Texas Police Department is investigating the burglary of an ATM at the Bank of the Ozarks, located in …
- VT: Gas station burglar takes cigarettes, chewing tobacco
5.6.20 – Arlington – Police are investigating an Arlington gas station burglary that happened overnight Sunday, three weeks after an adjacent …
- WA: Port Angeles man suspected of state park burglary …
5.6.20 – Peninsula Daily News – Sequim — A Port Angeles man was arrested Tuesday in connection with a burglary at Sequim Bay State Park, the Clallam County Sheriff’s …
- WV: Man accused of fighting with deputies after burglary near St …
5.5.20 – WCHS-WVAH – Craig Allen Scott, 30, of St. Albans was charged with burglary and attempting to disarm a law enforcement officer after an incident Tuesday, according to a news release from the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela