- MO: Heartland community pushbacks against false alarm ordinance
5.8.21 – KLVS – The City of Cape Girardeau recently passed a new ordinance, to charge alarm system owners in city limits for a permit, in efforts to limit false …
- Smart devices, video present new headaches at open houses
5.5.21 – Boston Common & Boston Globe — Smart-home gadgets and video surveillance present new headaches at open houses. Lorrie Manganello Guindon, a real estate agent with Berkshire Hathaway Page, was overseeing a fairly ordinary open house last year when her text messages blew up. They were from her seller, who, as is customary, wasn’t on the scene.
- Smoke alarm recall: Kidde recalls carbon monoxide alarms for …
5.6.21 – USA Today – Smoke detector recall: Kidde recalls 226,000 smoke alarms because they can ‘fail to alert consumers to a fire’ … About 226,000 smoke detectors …
- How you can prevent alarm company from stealing your identity
5.6.21 – Commercial Appeal – Don’t succumb to high-pressure sales tactics in buying an alarm system and be sure the written contract contains all oral representations made …
- Gov. Brian Kemp Signs Georgia False Alarm Law
5.3.21 – SSI – Rodney Bosch – The introduction of the law follows a three-year fight after the City of Sandy Springs passed a punitive ordinance that fined alarm companies.
- What is the current state of drug testing programs in today’s workplaces?
5.6.21 – ISHN – Drug testing in the workplace, especially in the manufacturing industry, has become a common part of pre-employment screening and health/safety measures in the workplace, which may include random, post-accident, and reasonable-suspicion testing.
- PPP Runs Out of Money
5.5.21 – NSBA – The SBA announced yesterday that the PPP has run out of money, weeks ahead of its expiration date at the end of May, underscoring the ongoing need for the program. (More)
- 5 Tips to Improve Cyber Hygiene on World Password Day
5.6.21 – SSI – Russell Reeder, CEO of data protection company Infrascale, provides five best practices for password success to mark World Password Day.
- Don’t let hardware issues derail your systems deployments …
5.5.21 – SIW – Whether it is video surveillance, access control systems, or other physical security systems, the hardware needed to serve up applications and store associated data needs to be compatible with the software.
Fire & EMS
- PA: Police: Suspect pulled lobby fire alarm at Comfort Suites in …
5.4.21 – Cumberlink – Police said a man entered the hotel in the first block of South Hanover Street at 4:22 p.m. Sunday and immediately pulled the lobby fire alarm before fleeing the scene. The fire alarm caused an evacuation of the hotel, as well as an emergency response from Carlisle fire departments, according to police.
- OR: Family cat dies in house fire caused by stovetop
5.5.21 – Dallas, OR (KPTV) – Fire crews say a family cat died on Saturday morning after a house fire in Dallas. Fire crews say the cause of the fire was due to a stovetop being left on accidentally. … The home sustained heavy smoke and fire damage.
- IL: Cellphone store burglarized in Ukrainian Village …
5.5.21 – Sun Times – A cellphone store was burglarized Wednesday morning in Ukrainian Village on the West Side. About 2:30 a.m., officers responded to an alarm at a business and found the front entrance of a cellphone store had been broken into, Chicago police said.
- NC: Kinston police were lawful, justified in use of force, officials say
5.8.21 – The Free Press – Officials: Kinston police use of force caught on video was ‘lawful’ and ‘required’ … “The internal investigation into the use of force incident has revealed that the attempt to detain Mr. Bruton was a lawful activity and was required by the officers in the situation,” said Kinston Police Chief Tim Dilday.
- NJ: Atlantic City police say man robbed convenience store with knife
5.5.21 – The Press – At 2:31 p.m., officers responded to Super Mini Mart for a panic alarm, police said in a news release. Shortly after arriving, Sgt. TJ Moynihan learned the store clerk had been robbed at knifepoint.
- VA: Timberville man faces multiple charges after ramming stolen …
5.8.21 – August Free Press – A Timberville man is in custody following a series of events that began with a break-in at Joe Bowman Auto Plaza and ended with a stolen vehicle ramming a police cruiser at a roadblock in Harrisonburg..
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald