Public Safety Updates
- BC: Chetwynd offers chance for public input on proposed false alarm bylaw
4.2.21 – The Mirror – The District of Chetwynd wants to hear from the public about their proposal to fine businesses and residents guilty of frequent false alarms.
- Bill causes Sandy Springs, Brookhaven to rethink false alarm …
4.23.21 – AJC – Now, legislators have passed a law that bars what city leaders call a crucial tool for reducing the number of false alarms from security systems that guard homes and businesses — fines against the companies that install them. Sandy Springs and Brookhaven currently have ordinances that allow the fines.
- Oklahoma woman’s security company mistakenly sends footage from inside her home to stranger in NC
2.22.21 – CBS 17 – Thompson said she bought a Blue by ADT security system in early March. … After it came in the mail, she received step-by-step installation instructions over the phone.
- BBB Tips: Home security scams raise alarms
4.25.21 – News Tribune – Some complainants reported to BBB that door-to-door alarm salespeople told them their current alarm system needed a repair, only to switch them to a different company when the consumer agreed to the repair.
- ISC West Registration Opens, Health & Safety Guidelines Unveiled
4.23.21 – SSI – ISC West 2021 will take place as a hybrid event July 19-21. Here are the guidelines and policies it put together to help support a safe experience.
- The Dangers of Removing an Alarm Contract’s Automatic Renewal Clause
4.21.21- SSI – Ken Kirschenbaum – A proper alarm contract has an automatic renewal clause. Subscribers who insist on deleting that provision don’t realize the consequences.
- Biden Introduces Tax Credit to Provide COVID-19 Vaccine PTO
4.22.21 – SSI – The IRS posted instructions on how employers with fewer than 500 employees can be reimbursed for the cost of providing paid leave for COVID vaccinations.
- SBA Launches New Round of Supplemental EIDL Assistance
4.23.21 – SSI – Rodney Bosch -The Supplemental Targeted Advance program is the SBA’s latest relief assistance for small businesses hardest hit by COVID-19.
- Actionable Tips to Sharpen Your Digital Marketing Moxie
4.21.21- SSI – Rodney Bosch -David Morgan of Security Dealer Marketing presented during the TMA Mid-Year Meeting to help monitoring centers leverage digital marketing in the new normal.
- TMA Mid-Year Meeting Examines Monitoring Beyond Usual Use Cases
4.20.21 – SSI – Rodney Bosch -Slideshow: key takeaways from Elizabeth Parks’ presentation on emerging monitoring opportunities across multiple technology sectors.
- 4 Ways to Utilize Touchless Access Control Solutions on College Campuses
4.1.21 – SSI – Rick Focke – Touchless access control solutions can support a safe and healthy environment, as well as a more user-friendly and intuitive experience.
Fire & EMS
- NY: Overloaded Power Strip Caused Queens Eight-Alarm Fire …
4.19.21 – New York (AP) – New York City fire marshals said Friday that an overloaded power strip caused an apartment fire in Queens that injured 21 people, including 16 firefighters. … About 400 firefighters responded to the afternoon blaze that started on the top floor, and it took them about 12 hours to extinguish it.
- OR: Investigators release video of suspect accused of causing 3 …
4.20.21 – KPTV – Portland Fire & Rescue crews responded to a three-alarm fire at the Portland Garment Factory at about 3:30 …
- VA: Working smoke detectors alert family to basement fire | Local …
4.20.21 -News & Advance – “Make sure you have a good, working smoke alarm,” Wormser said. “In this case, the fire was in the basement where they don’t normally go, …
- WA: Smoke alarm brings quick response – The Ritzville Adams …
4.21.21 – Journal – Ritzville – A fire alarm in the Adams County Courthouse sent employees outside, with volunteer firefighters arriving quickly on scene …
- CA: Burglary Suspect Arrested After Police Find Him Hiding Inside …
4.21.21 – South San Francisco (CBS SF/BCN) – South San Francisco police arrested a 39-year-old burglary suspect hiding inside a house …
- CA: Someone Broke Into an Orick Gas Station to Turn on the Pump …
4.24.21 – Lost Coast Outpost – Someone Broke Into an Orick Gas Station to Turn on the Pump So They Could Steal Gas … But Who? The car was operated with stolen gas in its …
- CA: Suspect in Orick Breaks Window and Activates Gas Pump …
4.23.21 – Redheaded Blackbelt – The suspect activated a gas pump from inside the business and proceeded to steal gas before fleeing northbound on Highway 10
- CT: Thieves Break Into Specs Eyeglass Store In Darien: Police …
4.20.21 – Darien, CT – Thieves broke into the Specs eyeglass store on April 13, and stole an undisclosed amount of merchandise, according to Darien police. Officers were called to the store by the store’s alarm system at about 11:45 p.m.
- MT: Hungry Horse man charged with armed robbery
4.22.21 Yahoo News – An odd incident at a ranch and home supply store landed a Hungry Horse man in the county jail.
- NC: Deputies say alarm trips up school burglar
4.23.21 – WITN – Craven County deputies say the alarm went off at Brinson Memorial Elementary School around 4:00 a.m. Thursday.
- NC: Vanceboro Man Arrested in School Break-In
4.23.21 – WCTI – Craven County – A Vanceboro man has been arrested and charged in an early morning school break-in in Craven county Friday. Craven …
- NM: Would-Be Thief Donates Bike to Northern
4.21.21 – Rio Grande Sun – A Northern New Mexico College security officer spotted a man and woman running from the Serpa Building area at the college, following a call …
- OH: 2 arrested in break-in at Howland laundromat
4.23.21 – Howland, Ohio (WKBN) – Two people were taken into custody Thursday after a reported break-in at a laundromat in Howland. Police were dispatched to Mayfair Laundromat for an alarm drop.
- OK: Norman Man Accused Of Placing Camera In Woman’s …
4.20.21 – News 9 – It was a recording device, a camera, disguised as an alarm clock Brown is accused of placing in the victim’s bedroom. “It was an actual .
- UT: Two Sandy Elementary Schools Robbed Of Computers …
4.20.21 – KSLTV – Sandy, Utah – Sandy City police launched a search for the burglars who …
- WA: Deputies searching for suspect in Spokane Valley bank …
4.21.21 – Spokesman – Spokane Valley deputies are investigating a robbery at a Banner Bank and searching for a suspect they believe to be a shorter man with two …
- WA: Police seeking woman in attempted robbery at Capitol Hill Key …
4.23.21- KIRO – Seattle – Seattle police are looking for a woman in a failed robbery attempt at a Capitol Hill Key Bank on Wednesday. SPD said that shortly …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald