Public Safety Updates
- GA: False alarm fines on the table in Lawrenceville
4.15.21 – AJC – Lawrenceville officials are still weighing their options for levying fines against residents or alarm companies for setting off multiple false security….
- GA: Roswell approves escalating fines for false alarms
4.14.21 – AJC – Repeated false alarms in Roswell will now incur a cost. The city will charge alarm system owners escalating fines for repeated false alarms.
- SK: Bylaw changes will increase false alarm fees, close unused lane
4.13.21 – Moose Jaw Today – City council has approved two bylaws related to false alarms and a lane closure but will have to wait until another meeting to approve a third …
- ADT Now Installing Google Nest Smart Home Products
4.12.21- CEPro – ADT Command & Control customers and those with Blue by ADT can now control their security systems via voice when using compatible Google Nest products.
- Survey: 60 Percent of U.S. Workers Concerned About Mental Health in Pandemic’s Aftermath
4.13.21 – CI – The Conference Board survey shows participation in Employee Assistance programs has dropped, despite the struggles many workers report.
- Potential product shortage looms
4.16.21 – SIW – The semiconductor chip shortage making news in the auto industry points to a bottlenecked supply chain that may spill into the security industry
- Remote Workers Should Be Paid the Same as Office-Based Colleagues
4.12.21 – CI – Workplace trends expert says businesses could face lawsuits if they base employee pay on where they work, but different perks might be OK.
- Security Veterans Share How They’d Approach Breaking Into the Industry Today
4.16.21 – SSI – The security industry has changed a great deal over the decades. Five SSI Industry Hall of Famers give their perspective of breaking into the industry today.
- 3G Upgrades: How Good Process Can Ease the Pain
4.15.21- SSI – Though upgrading all of your customer’s 3G radios before the sunset may seem like a daunting task, the stress can be alleviated with this game plan.
- Report: Residential Security Customers Want Protection Beyond Home
4.15.21 – SSI – The report from TrueMotion reveals that solutions such as paid car crash detection and emergency response products show RMR potential for security pros.
- Glass-Break Do’s and Don’ts
4.14.21 – SSI – Tech expert Bob Dolph shares best practices for professional acoustical glass-break detector application, installation and maintenance.
- Security Integrators Will Soon Be Able to Attain Cyber Certification
4.13.21 – SSI – A first-of-its kind cybersecurity certification will create a pathway for integrators to train and qualify their technicians to securely perform installations.
- 5 Ways COVID-19 Is Impacting Alarm Business Transactions
4.12.21 – SSI – Here’s a quick rundown on what alarm company owners can expect involving business valuations and company sales during COVID-19.
- Video metadata explained
4.14.21 – SIW – Despite its vast potential, many are still unaware of what metadata is and how it can be used in surveillance applications
Fire & EMS
- MN: Rural Backus man’s smoke alarm warns him of home fire …
4.15.21 – Echo Journal – “Well, he was awakened by a smoke detector for a small fire in his house,” said Backus Fire Chief Jason Smith. “He attempted to put it out himself …
- TN: Family Saved By Working Smoke Alarms – Williamson Source
4.16.21 – Williamson Source – Franklin TN – The cause of the fire was accidental. “Working smoke alarms saved the family’s lives. Had smoke alarms not been working and present in the …
- AZ: Police arrest 2 suspects after burglary attempt at Scottsdale …
4.16.21 – KTAR – Phoenix – Police said they arrested two suspects accused of burglary at a Scottsdale business on Friday morning. Joshua Bess, 27, and …
- CA: Burglary investigation underway at Goleta market
4.14.21 – KSBY – Burglary investigation underway at Goleta market … Authorities are looking for multiple people believed to have burglarized a market in Goleta this …
- CA: Suspect Arrested After San Bruno Homeowner Sees Thief In …
4.14.21 – CBS San Francisco – Police have arrested a woman after a homeowner observed someone ransacking her house in San Bruno via a surveillance camera, on Tuesday.
- FL: Bradenton man charged with robbing local bank
4.14.21 – Bradenton, Fla. (WWSB) – While the teller was getting the money they handed over a stack of $20 bills that were part of the silent alarm system.
- GA: Large quantity of opioids stolen from Athens pharmacy
4.16.21 – Online Athens – Thieves make off with large haul of opioids from Athens pharmacy … Thieves broke into Hodgson’s Pharmacy early …
- IL: 1 charged, others sought by cops in Michigan Avenue …
4.12.21 – Chicago Tribune – One man has been charged and others were being sought after several people smashed a glass door and made off with merchandise, including purses, from the Nordstrom store early Monday, police said.
- MI: Break-in at Holland Township outdoor store foiled by security …
4.17.21 – Mlive – Holland Twp, MI – A Holland Township outdoor store’s security measures recently prevented burglars from breaking in, police said. Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to an alarm at Long Range Archery and Firearms, at about 1:40 a.m.
- MI: Off-duty sheriff’s deputy, police dog foil burglary – mlive.com
4.15.21 – MLive – Off-duty sheriff’s deputy, police dog foil burglary … Van Buren County sheriff’s deputies arrested two South Haven men in a burglary of a Bangor …
- NM: Albuquerque photography studio experiences second break …
4.14.21 – KOB – Albuquerque photography studio experiences second break-in in a week. … — The owners of an Albuquerque photography studio are feeling devastated once again after thieves broke into their studio for the second time in the past week. “First of all, you feel very violated,” said Kim Jew, owner of Kim Jew Photography.
- PA: Nighttime burglars steal $8,500 in lawn care equipment from …
11.12.21 – Reading Eagle — Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call Trooper John Reiter at the Hamburg station at 610-562-6885. Tips can also be made via Crime Alert Berks …
- SC: Video: Man high on meth smashes SC couple’s window with …
4.16.21 – Scranton, S.C. (WBTW) — A man has been charged by Florence County deputies after allegedly breaking a home’s window with a heavy …
- TX: Arrest in MFA Houston Break-In …
4.14.21 -Last month, two people broke into the Bayou Bend branch of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and escaped by boat after being spotted, police reported at the time. Now an arrest has been made, according to the Houston Chronicle. Lewis Yates Robertson has been charged with burglary.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald