Public Safety Updates
- MD: Baltimore County Council approves private security camera …
3.2.20 – Baltimore Sun – Baltimore County Council on Monday night unanimously voted for a … security camera registry aimed at giving police more crime footage.
- NE: False burglar alarms would cost businesses, homeowners up …
2.3.20 – Omaha.com – Under the proposed county ordinance, the first false intrusion alarm within a year would be free — but a second or third would cost the business or homeowner $100. The fee would jump to $250 for a fourth false alarm and any other one after that.
- NJ: Council Considers Fire Fee, Alarm Changes In Moorestown …
3.3.20 – Patch – Moorestown, NJ – For the first time in more than 10 years, the annual inspection fees for fire safety uses is set to increase in Moorestown. … Council also approved a proposed ordinance on introduction to amend township code covering fire alarms. Those changes can be seen in the proposal listed on the township’s website.
- NY: Norwich Fire Department Proposes False Fire Alarm Ordinance
3.4.20 – Evening Sun – Norwich – At the City of Norwich Joint Meeting, Fire Chief Jan Papelino proposed a False Fire Alarm Ordinance. According to Papelino …
- WA: Sheriff’s office hopes changes will cut down on false alarm …
3.2.20 – Kitsap Sun – In 2018, the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office responded to 3,364 calls for alarm activations, and 98.81% of the calls were false alarms. In 2017, over 99% of calls were false alarms.
- Minuteman Security Technologies Grows Northeast Footprint …
3.2.20 – SSI – Along with its headquarters in South Portland, Me., Norris has branch offices in … security technology solutions, has acquired systems integration firm … brother, Brad Norris, a board advisor, have retired from the company. “Brad and I are incredibly proud of how we have grown Norris over the last 40 years, …
- Reed Exhibitions Postpones ISC West Till July
3.6.20 – SSI – Rising concerns over coronavirus outbreaks led Reed to postpone the event, stating the need to “prioritize the health and safety of everyone involved with ISC West.”
- Vivint Smart Home President Alex Dunn Steps Down
3.5.20 – CEPro – After working for Vivint for 14 years, Dunn has decided to leave the company, but will remain in an advisory role through March 2021.
State & National News
- Arkansas Attorney General files lawsuit against alarm system …
3.6.20 – KARK – She stepped in by filing a lawsuit to hold this company accountable for taking advantage of people. Anthem Alarm sold alarm systems for …
- Denver police officer blocks handicap spot at disability …
3.6.20 – The Denver Channel – DENVER — A Denver police officer parked a marked patrol vehicle partially in a handicap spot at the headquarters for the Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition last month, blocking access to a van driven by the coalition’s legal director, who uses a wheelchair.
- DIY Security Camera Market to Surge 80% by 2024, Reports Omdia
6.5.20 – SSI – Rising demand for consumer security cameras and video doorbells is driving new competition, challenging market leaders Nest and Arlo, Omdia says.
- How to Engage with Lawmakers
3.4.20 – NSBA – We know you’re busy running your business and that you care about policy and ensuring your elected officials support pro-small-business policies – we’re here to help.
- IRS: New Guidance on Deductions
3.4.20 – NSBA – The IRS has released proposed regulations for deducting meals and entertainment as a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminating or limiting most of these.
- Small Biz Resources on COVID-19
3.5.20 – NSBA has compiled a variety of resources that may be of use in your small business, including links to CDC resources, OHSA compliance issues and more.
- Why Thermal Imaging Trends Are Looking Up
3.6.20 – SSI – Once primarily focused on military and critical infrastructure installations, the thermal camera market is far more expansive these days. Industry authorities explain where opportunity lies.
- How to Keep You and Your Customers Up-to-Date With the Latest Technology
3.4.20 – SSI – If you’re tired of the same old technology, turn the page to new offerings. Security pros share adoption strategies and marketing tips to make sure you and your customers are ready.
- Mitigating Mistakes: The door propping dilemma
3.3.20 – SIW – Trading security for convenience can have devastating consequences for your organization
Fire & EMS News
- IL: Man, 70, dead after suspected carbon monoxide leak in Hyde …
3.4.20 – abc7chicago – Man, 70, dead after suspected carbon monoxide leak in Hyde Park apartment … A lit stove in a Hyde Park apartment building left a 70-year-old man dead … According to police, emergency crews responded to building after a carbon … A man in the apartment across the hall was found unresponsive and …
- VA: Smoke detector installed by Danville Fire Department saves …
3.2.20 – DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ)- The Danville Fire Department received a call for a fire in a …
- AZ: 82-year-old with record of bank robberies convicted again
3.6.20 – Phoenix (AP) – An 82-year-old man who spent most of his adult life behind bars for robbing banks was convicted again for carrying out an armed heist at an Arizona credit union as he struggled to adjust to life outside prison.
- CA: 3 Arrested For Allegedly Stealing From Elk Grove Church …
3.6.20 – Elk Grove (CBS13) – Three suspects were arrested Friday morning for allegedly stealing from an Elk Grove church. Police said officers …
- IL: Would-be thief foiled by quick-thinking clerk in South Peoria …
3.2.20 – Peoria – A quick-thinking store clerk foiled a South Peoria man’s attempt to rob his store. And then refused to let the thief leave when the man gave the money back. … The clerk complied at the time but then triggered the alarm, locked the doors and grabbed a handgun that was near the front counter, the report said.
- IN: Man arrested in connection with rash of burglaries in Princeton. PRINCETON, Ind
3.6.20 – (WEHT)- Princeton Police have arrested the person who confessed to several break-ins in the past week. Forrest Hall is facing several charges including burglary, criminal recklessness, resisting/fleeing, and auto theft.
- IN: Surveillance video shows suspect bouncing off South Bend …
3.5.20 – (WSBT) – Surveillance video provided by Femme Fatale Guns & Sporting, Inc. shows an attempted break-in gone humorously wrong. In the video captured Wednesday night, the suspect can be seen throwing himself into the South Bend gun store’s window and bouncing off. A double donkey kick doesn’t work either.
- NJ: Thieves Break Into Hackensack Office Building Stealing …
3.5.20 – TAPinto.net- The thieves stole a reported $40,000 in collectible coins and a painting worth several thousand dollars. Cops responded to a burglar alarm activation, a four-story office building, at around 2:45 a.m.
- OH: Toledo Police searching for suspects in gas station robbery
3.2.20 – Toledo (WTVG) – Toledo Police are searching for three suspects who broke into a gas station and stole cigars and tobacco products. The incident happened before 10 p.m. on February 23 at the Mobil gas station … The suspects fled with an unknown amount of merchandise.
- OH: Worker cleaning bank triggers alarms, law enforcement …
3.5.20 – The Daily Jeffersonian- An employee of a cleaning company who failed to follow protocol for an alarm at a Wheeling Avenue bank in Cambridge Thursday morning created an emergency response by Cambridge police officers, Guernsey County sheriff’s deputies and State Highway Patrol troopers.
- OK: Police taze, arrest man who broke into metro home while …
3.2.20 – KOCO – Person arrested in connection with metro-area home invasion. … Police taze, arrest man who broke into metro home while family was asleep …
- PA: Accused rapist followed store employee to his Allentown …
3.2.20 – Morning Call – … III followed an employee of a city store to his home and robbed him, … store employee to his Allentown home and then robbed him, police say.
- SC: Police arrest man suspected of stealing more than 20k worth …
3.5.20 – WCSC – Police have arrested a 22-year-old man accused of stealing more than $20,000 worth of merchandise from the Apple store in downtown Charleston. Investigators arrested 22-year-old Earnest Lee Oneal on Wednesday and charged him with grand larceny and burglary second-degree.
- UT: Officers find ‘mass’ quantities of drugs in home of Orem man …
3.2.20 – Orem, Utah, March 3, 2020 (Gephardt Daily) — An Orem man is facing multiple felony charges after officers found “mass” quantities of drugs in his home after he allegedly broke into his former workplace multiple times.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela