Public Safety Updates
- CA: Grover tackles ‘false alarms’
2.25.20 – News Break – Grover Beach residents with residential and commercial alarm systems … police time spent responding to false alarms—those pesky incidents …
- GA: Cartersville May Require Homes, Businesses To Register …
2.26.20 – Patch – Cartersville, GA — The Cartersville Police Department is reminding the public …
- ME: Alarm system and ordinance updates – Portland Press Herald
2.24.20 – Press Herald – He said that the proposed ordinance, which Councilor Jean-Marie Caterina said the ordinance committee had vetted on Jan. 23, would combine the two alarm ordinances and provides the necessary language to accommodate for the new system. … He added that this cost is less expensive than other third-party monitoring systems.
- ON: Use of resources: Police responding to thousands of alarm …
2.24.20 – Sudbury.com – GSPS reviewing false alarm response system after review shows 97% … Police responding to thousands of alarm calls that turn out to be false.
- VA: Charlottesville Police adds another way to register security alarm systems
2.28.20 – CBS19 – The Charlottesville Police Department has another way for Charlottesville residents and business owners to register their security alarm system. Residents and business owners can fill out a form online to register their alarm system.
- Changes are coming to smoke alarm standards in 2021
2.28.20 – WHSV – HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) — Underwriters Laboratory, Inc. will release new standards for smoke alarms in June 2021. According to Lt. Erin Stehle, the public education officer for Harrisonburg Fire Department, the main goal of these alarms is to tell the difference between smoke from a fire and nuisance smoke.
- Company travel bans cast JCI and Ring’s ISC West attendance in doubt
2.28.20 – SIW – Coronavirus fears have already prompted Avigilon and multiple Asian companies to pull out of the March show
- Coronavirus Prompts Motorola Solutions to Pull Out of ISC West
2.27.20 – SSI – Motorola and its Avigilon brand will instead host a virtual showcase during ISC West to help customers learn about the company’s products and solutions.
State & National News
- Cedar Springs schools install new security box to call police in …
2.24.20 – Cedar Springs, Mich. — Schools in Cedar Springs are now equipped with a new security alarm system that will allow staff and students to notify police of an emergency with just the pull of a lever on the wall.
- Coronavirus Could Impact the Pro AV Supply Chain
2.27.20 – CI – The novel coronavirus hitting China and spreading to other parts of the world could have an impact on pro AV’s supply chain.
- What Do You Think of These Proposed Updates to NFPA 72?
2.26.20 – SSI – Proposed updates to NFPA 72 include definitions for cybersecurity and minimum hearing distance, new annex material on obstructions and more.
- Increased Productivity is All About Better Prioritization by Business Leaders
2.27.20 – CI – Productivity Pro president and CEO Laura Stack outlines tips to help NSCA Business & Leadership Conference attendees get more done as distractions mount.
- Big Idea of the Month: Don’t Do a Deal Without an M&A Pro
2.27.20 – SSI – SmartWatch’s Madelaine Lock says its important to have an industry lawyer oversee all documents, schedules and other materials you’re going to need to close a transaction.
- Smart Home Product Buyer Preference: DIY vs. Pro Installation
2.26.20 – SSI – Somewhat surprisingly, smart home product buyers that prefer DIY are more likely to be Boomers than Gen-Xers or Millennials, according to this study.
- Best Buy’s Strong Growth Driven by In-Home Service Success
2.28.20 – CEPro – Posting 12 straight quarters of growth, Best Buy conducts 250,000 free in-home consultations in FY2020. Total Tech Support hits 2.3M subscribers.
- Do You Want Your Kid in Your Alarm Business?
2.28.20 – SSI – You and your kid(s) can make a great living in the “alarm business,” even if you don’t recognize your company five years from now.
Fire & EMS News
- AL: Hueytown Captain D’s restaurant considered total loss after …
2.28.20 – Hueytown, Ala. (WIAT) — CBS 42 is on the scene of a Hueytown fire on the 3000 …
- MB: 3 sent to hospital after carbon monoxide exposure at …
3.1.20 – Global News – Three people have been sent to hospital after a carbon monoxide alarm went off at a west Winnipeg home early Saturday morning. The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to a carbon monoxide alarm in a home at around 1:40 a.m.
- MS: Family escapes house fire thanks to smoke detectors
2.25.20 – WSIL – A local fire chief stresses the importance of smoke detectors after a Missouri family escaped from a house fire thanks to the device.
- NY: Warren County dispatcher credited with saving lives during …
2.24.20 – Warren County Communications Officer Lydia Hayes is credited with saving the lives of a Bolton couple who were suffering the early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning during the ice and snow storm that caused massive power outages earlier this month.
- OH: Fire department responds to house alarm – …
2.28.20 – Crawford County Now- Bucyrus – A functional smoke detector proved vital in a recent response by the Bucyrus Fire Department to a Bucyrus residence.
- WI: Newly installed smoke alarm helps to save Oshkosh couple
2.28.20 – Oshkosh, Wis. (WBAY) – An initiative by the American Red Cross, called “Sound the Alarm” began in 2014. Since then, the Red Cross has installed more than two million smoke detectors in homes across the country, for free. And now the program have recently helped to save two lives.
- AB: Lacombe Police respond to alarm at LA Carpet and Tile …
2.28.20 – Lacombe Express – On February 25, 2020, The Lacombe Police responded to an alarm at LA Carpet and Tile. Police arrived on scene and observed forced entry …
- AK: One man charged in Petersburg Post Office burglary
2.26.20 – KFSK – A Petersburg man was charged Tuesday with felony mail theft after he allegedly broke into his local post office. Authorities say 38-year-old …
- IA: Police investigating after Smart Intermediate is broken into …
2.28.20 – KWQC – Officials with the Davenport Police Department are investigating after an intermediate school was broken into Friday morning. Police say they received a burglar alarm at the school just after 3:30 a.m. on Friday. Officials with Per Mar Security found a door had been forced open.
- IL: Police: Schaumburg Best Buy burglarized – Daily Herald
2.25.20 – Daily Herald – A Schaumburg Best Buy was burglarized Saturday morning, police said. Officers responded to the store at 9:48 a.m., according to Schaumburg police Sgt. … The investigation is ongoing, and police didn’t share any further information Saturday night.
- KS: Topeka police: Armed robbery is false alarm
2.29.20 – Topeka, Kan. (KSNT) – Police arrived on scene at a reported Friday evening armed robbery in east Topeka to find it was a false alarm. Officers …
- MA: Suspect Caught on Camera Leaving Bank With Handful of …
2.29.20 – NBC Boston – South Burlington police were notifed of the alleged bank robbery just before 11 a.m. … An alleged bank robber captured on camera leaving with a handful of cash is being sought by authorities in South Burlington. … Saturday morning by a hold up alarm from People’s United Bank at 99 …
- MI: Police Looking To Identify 2 Suspects In Farmington Hills …
2.27.20 – Farmington Hills, Mich. (CBS DETROIT) — The Farmington Hills Police Department is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying two suspects who broke into a home …
- NC: A Charlotte robbery was caught on Ring camera, but that didn’t stop the suspects
2.24.20 – WCNC – A Charlotte robbery was caught on Ring camera, but that didn’t stop the suspects. “You can build as much security as you want, but if there’s a will, there’s a way
- ND: Brent Castleman arrested for criminal trespassing, assaulting a police officer. …
2.28.20 – KFYRTV – According to district court records, prosecutors have amended their complaint to raise the C-felony simple assault charge to a B-felony aggravated assault charge.
- NE: Two people in custody following overnight crime spree, police …
2.27.20 – KETV – Two people accused in an overnight crime spree were taken into Omaha … Two people in custody following overnight crime spree, police say.
- NJ: Suspect arrested, charged after reportedly breaking into local …
2.24.20 – WLOS – Suspect arrested, charged after reportedly breaking into local church. WLOS. Pres. Trump speaks at KAG rally in N.J.
- NY: 2 arrested in gas station burglary on Buffalo Road
2.24.20 – Rochester, N.Y. (WHEC) — Two Rochester men are facing charges after police say they burglarized a gas station.
- NY: Lewiston man shot at while investigating possible burglar.
3.1.20 – Buffalo News – A man escaped injury last week when shots were fired at him when he stepped outside his home to see why his car alarm was sounding, Town of Lewiston Police reported. Police said that the victim’s grandmother heard the alarm shortly after 3 a.m.
- OH: Toledo police investigating similar break-ins at 2 Boost Mobile …
2.24.20 – NBC24 – Toledo, Ohio — Police are looking to identify two men who broke into a Boost Mobile early in the morning of Feb. 15. According to a police report, around 4:20 a.m. officers responded to a burglary alarm and found the front door’s glass shattered by a piece of tossed cement.
- ON: Man arrested with narcotics after police respond to pharmacy alarm.
2.25.20 – kitchener.ctvnews.ca – A Kitchener man is facing charges after being found with various …
- SC: 4 businesses broken into in downtown Greenville, police …
2.26.20 – WSPA – 4 businesses broken into in downtown Greenville, police investigating. … Two break-ins happened on Feb. 20, according to police reports. Officers responded just after 4 a.m. to an alarm at The Beautiful Co. Salon.
- SD: Suspect sought in connection to holdup alarm, 2 stolen vehicles
2.28.20 – Brookings Register – Brookings – Brookings Police and the Brookings County Sheriff’s Office are looking for a male suspect they believe is connected to a holdup …
- TX: 2 suspects arrested after armed robbery on Northeast Side …
3.1.20 – KSAT – Two suspects are now in custody after a robbery at the Cricket Wireless store on the Northeast Side, according to San Antonio police. …
- WI: Madison Police searching for two suspects following attempted
2.28.20 – NBC15 – Madison Police are investigating following an attempted burglary at the … Officers spotted the suspects, two teenage males, but the suspects …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela