State & National News
- Administration’s Key Changes to PPP
2.22.21 – NSBA – On Monday, the Biden Administration announced forthcoming changes to the PPP which could greatly help the smallest businesses and sole-proprietors. (More)
- Check Out These Changes To The Paycheck Protection Program
2.22.21 – CI- Changes to the PPP make it easier for very small businesses, independent contractors, self-employed individuals and more to get loans.
- Biden Pinpoints Smallest Companies in PPP Loan Revisions
2.22.21 – SSI – Biden is establishing a two-week window during which only businesses with fewer than 20 employees can apply for the forgivable PPP loans.
- Dish and ADT Partner to Market and Install Smart Security Products
2.23.21 – CEPro – ADT products and services will now be sold and installed by Dish’s nationwide network of smart home professionals.
- Vivint files patent infringement lawsuit against ADT
2.26.21 – SIW – Company seeking to recover damages for lost sales, attorney’s fees
- NFPA Hears Need for Remote Inspections
2.24.21 – SSI – Formed prior to the outbreak of COVID-19, the NFPA technical committee on remote video inspections looks to have proposals for a new standard submitted by June.
- How Prioritizing People & Practices Promotes Profitability
2.25.21 – SSI – In this Security Speaking podcast, members of The Monitoring Association come together to discuss how they have contended with COVID and the myriad challenges it has wrought.
- How to Help Your Customers Come Back to Work With Visitor Management
2.22.21 – SSI – A well-rounded visitor management system must now include wellness screening, wellness verification and an access control system actuated by the results.
- 50% of US Households Now Own Smart Devices
2.23.21 – CEPro – Data from The NPD Group shows consumers have a heightened interest in smart security, smart lighting, and home automation technology, leading to boosted adoption rates nationwide.
- Brinks Home Security Will Leverage AI to Drive Customer Experience
2.25.21 – SSI – A partnership with startup OfferFit aims to unlock new insights into customer journey mapping with an AI-enabled, self-learning platform.
Fire & EMS News
- MA: Sterling FD responds to small fire in grow room at The Botanist marijuana company
2.26.21 – Telegram & Gazette – Sterling – Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at the business just after 6 a.m. Firefighters got it under control quickly, Emerton said.
- WI: Laundry fire at Copper Leaf Hotel in Appleton Saturday morning
2.27.21 – FOX11 – The incident occurred at approximately 4:00 a.m. Saturday for a fire alarm sounding with smoke present in the basement of the hotel. Officials say they found one of the hotel dryers on fire and extinguished the flames within 10 minutes. A properly working sprinkler system also assisted in putting out the fire.
- AK: Burglar Apprehended after Multiple South Anchorage …
2.22.21 – Alaska Native News -Anchorage police responded after an alarm was tripped at a business at that location at 8:21 pm on Sunday evening. the suspect was ultimately located outside…
- CA: Menifee City Council continues discussion on false alarm …
2.26.21 – myvalleynews.com – The Menifee Police Department presented a call to the Menifee City Council to come up with some penalties and registration requirements that would help halt the large number of false business and some residential burglar alarms being responded to by officers in the city. The request was made by Capt. Dave Contreras in his presentation to the council Wednesday, Feb. 17. He said the purpose of the ordinance “was to reduce unnecessary burden to city staff while promoting the most effective reduction of false alarms.
- CA: Multiple SLO County businesses report overnight break-ins
2.23.21 – KSBY – Multiple businesses on the Central Coast were burglarized overnight. Hoagies in Pismo Beach was broken into early in the morning of Feb. 23. One of the co-owners of the restaurant said they received a call from the alarm company around 3:35 a.m. saying the front door had been breached.
- GA: Burglar grabs pricey designer bags at downtown Athens store …
2.22.21 – Athens Banner Herald – Burglar grabs pricey designer handbags at downtown Athens store Agora Vintage. A burglar made off with about $16,000 in high-end designer purses and handbags this past weekend at the Agora Vintage store, according to an Athens-Clarke police report.
- IN: Evansville police investigating attempted ATM theft
2.22.21 – WFIE – Evansville police are investigating an attempted ATM theft. Officials say officers were called to the Heritage Federal Credit Union in the …
- KS: Topeka man arrested after fleeing from church
2.27.21 – Topeka, KS – WIBW – A Topeka man was arrested early Saturday morning on multiple charges after TPD received a call for an alarm at a church. With the UAV capability, officers located Pierce Ragsdale, 27 of Topeka, and took them into custody without incident. …
- MI: Man arrested in smash-and-grab at Saginaw store believed to …
2.23.21 – Saginaw, MI – In the wake of a smash-and-grab robbery of a Saginaw gas station, police arrested a suspect they now believed may have committed similar crimes in adjoining counties. … Officers checked the area and found the suspect parked at a residence…
- MI: Pontiac bank robber steals $1,500 after handing teller a note
2.25.21 – Detroit News – A teller at the PNC Bank sounded the alarm around 4:30 p.m., said the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. That’s …
- MS: ATM burglarized in Flowood, undetermined amount of cash …
2.26.21 – WLBT – Detectives say they responded to an alarm call at a local credit union. When the officers arrived on the scene, they found that the ATM had been burglarized and an undetermined amount of cash had been taken. Officer located an abandoned truck nearby that was used in the burglary.
- ND: Burglary at El Super Gallo
2.24.21 – Post Bulletin – Burglary at El Super Gallo. The Rochester Police Department is investigating the report of a burglary at a Northwest Rochester grocery store.
- NJ: PD: Haledon Police Capture Convenience Store Burglar From …
2.23.211 – Daily Voice – A pair of Haledon police officers chased down a 41-year-old repeat offender from Passaic moments after he broke into a local convenience store before dawn Tuesday, authorities said.
- OH: Police investigating break-in at Dayton clothing boutique
2.26.21 – Dayton Daily News – Dayton police are investigating a breaking and entering that occurred Thursday night at The Entrepreneurs Shoppe …
- VA: Montgomery Co. Sheriff’s Office looking for would-be burglar
2.24.21 – WDBJ – The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office is looking for the person who attempted to burglarize Tru Harvest Farms in Christiansburg …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald