Public Safety Updates
- OK: Alarm permit process has new online option in Oklahoma City …
2.3.21 – OKC.gov – Oklahoma City residents and businesses have a new, online option to get or renew an alarm permit. To use the new online option, visit crywolfservices.com/oklahomacityok beginning January 25 to get or renew a permit for your security or fire alarm. Call (833) 281-8738 if you don’t have internet access.
- GA: Soon you could expect a fine up to $1000 for false fire alarms …
2.4.21 – Fox 31 – Soon you could be issued a fine up to $1000 if you have too many false fire alarm incidents in the city of Tifton. … A fine of $1000 will be mandated, for those who are repeat offenders.
State & National News
- Verizon Sets 3G Sunset Date for Jan. 1, 2023
2.3.21 – SSI – After several delays, Verizon has cemented the date of its 3G sunset. Experts share advice for upgrading security customers.
- What Is The PRO Act And Should Your Company Be Concerned?
2.4.21 – National Law Review – If enacted, the PRO Act would arguably be the most significant piece of labor legislation since the National Labor Relations Act was passed in 1935. It would dramatically alter federal labor law by repealing much of the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 amendments and codifying many pro-union provisions that would disadvantage companies.
- The Evolution of People-Counting Technologies
2.5.21 – SSI – Northland Controls’ Rob Kay gives a primer on the different types of people-counting technologies and which applications suit them best.
- TMA Welcomes Pair of ECCs to ASAP-to-PSAP Program
2.1.21 – SSI – The newest communications centers to join the program are Cayuga County in New York and the Paradise Valley, Ariz., Police dispatch center.
- Live Streaming Best Practices for Schools
2.2.21 – CI- Integrators can learn from the last year to create more optimal live streaming services for their school/higher education clients.
- Your Best Performers Might Not Be the Best Leaders – Here’s Why and How to Fix It
2.2.21 – CI – Empowered leadership means do the right thing for the company even when the decision might not be popular with everyone.
- How to Efficiently Bid on AV Projects
2.2.21 – CI – This Ontario-based integrator has developed a new strategy that helps it get valuable face time with the end customer early on in the process.
- Top 5 Smart Home and Security Trends at CES 2021
2.2.21 – SSI – Among the notable trends at CES this year was WiFi sensing, which uses disruptions in WiFi signals from compatible smart devices to detect motion.
Fire & EMS News
- MA: Mass. teacher calls 911 after student’s home catches fire …
2.6.21 – WCVB – Any teacher will tell you remote instruction is demanding, but on Friday, … calls 911 after student’s home catches fire during remote lesson.
- ME: Alarm system saves Augusta home from severe fire damage, officials say.
2.4.21 – Sun Journal – No one was home at the time of the fire but one of the family’s cats perished and another was missing following the blaze.
- PA: False Fire Alarm as Snow Fell Sunday at Moyer Lumber – The …
2.7.21 – The Post – Heavy snow was falling when Sanatoga Fire Company volunteers suited up for what ended as a false alarm Sunday morning at A.D. Moyer …
- CT: Police: Two arrested in Wallingford liquor store burglary
2.6.21 – Middletown Press – Wallingford – Two men from the New Haven area are facing burglary charges in connection with a break-in at a liquor store early Saturday. Wallingford police said 36-year-old East Haven resident Daniel Girdzis and 35-year-old West Haven resident Adis Kacar were both taken into custody overnight.
- FL: 2 men caught on camera breaking into construction site in …
2.1.21 – Sunny Isles Beach, FL- WSVN – A couple of guys are on the run after pulling off a construction site crime. A surveillance camera inside a …
- FL: Deputies: Man arrested after spree of breaking into 3 …
2.5.21 – WEAR – Escambia County, Fla. — Escambia County deputies arrested a man Friday who they say smashed through the front doors of two Family Dollar’s and a Dollar General, burglarizing each store. Andrew Kimmons, 25, is charged with Burglary of Dwelling or Structure, Petit Theft and Resisting an Officer without Violence.
- MI: Police investigate a break-in at an Ace Hardware
2.2.21 – ABC57 – Joseph, MI – St. Joseph Township Police responded to an alarm activation just before 6 a.m. Saturday. When officers …
- MI: Thieves break into Warren auto shop, steal 2 vehicles and 100 …
2.1.21 – WXYZ – A police pursuit in Warren was caught on camera as officers went after thieves who broke into a car dealer’s business and stole two vehicles and 100 sets of car keys. Police say it was outstanding work by officers, who not only arrested two auto theft suspects but also took a handgun off the streets.
- MO: Teen arrested, accused of breaking into gun store
2.4.21 – KRCG – Cole County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a burglary alarm at Bob’s Guns at 5:38 am on Wednesday, February 3rd. They found that someone broke in and took some merchandise, but no guns, and then left. They arrested a 17-year-old after an investigation.
- MS: Boost Mobile store in Jackson damaged after fiery early …
2.1.21 – Jackson, Miss. (WJTV) – Store owners along a strip on Ellis Avenue are cleaning up after a fiery early morning crash in Jackson. An SUV …
- MT: Two people sentenced after 27 guns were stolen from a Great …
2.4.21 – KFBB – Great Falls – Great Falls Police officers were dispatched early morning on Nov. … According to the officer affidavit, 27 firearms were stolen from the store, … of Keana Kirby and Carlyle Wells based on additional information. … with theft and was sentenced to six years and three months in prison and three …
- NE: LPD: Local jewelry store burglarized, investigation ongoing …
2.4.21 – Lincoln, Neb. (KLKN) – Early morning Thursday, Lincoln Police responded to a ringing security alarm at one Lincoln jewelry store.
- NJ: Woodland Park Police Arrest Three For Best Buy Break-In …
2.4.21 – TAPInto.net – Woodland Park, NJ – The Woodland Park Police Department arrested three individuals, two of them teenagers, following a break-in at the Best Buy store on Andrews Drive. At the height of the blizzard on Feb. 1 at 8 p.m., police received a call for a commercial burglar alarm activation at Best Buy.
- OH: 2 homes burglarized in Moreland Hills, suspects entered by …
2.1.21 – Moreland Hills, Ohio (WOIO) – Two homes were burglarized Saturday evening and police said money, jewels and valuables were stolen. According to Chief Kevin Wyant, the burglaries happened between 8 and 9 p.m. and the suspects broke a window to enter both homes.
- SK: Sask. RCMP says officers found marijuana grow-op while …
2.3.21 – CTV- Sask. RCMP says officers found marijuana grow-op while responding to an alarm, 424 plants seized. CTV News Saskatoon Staff. Contact.
- VA: Man flown to hospital after Valero gas station shooting …
2.6.21 – WDBJ – Man flown to hospital after Valero gas station shooting near initial Martinsville scene Friday night. The Martinsville Police Department …
- VA: One hurt, two wanted after early morning shooting at …
2.7.21 – Martinsville, Va. (WFXR) – Police are searching for two young Martinsville men after an argument outside a convenience store early …
- WA: Woman caught red-handed burglarizing a Bellingham …
2.5.21 – KGMI – A woman already wanted for burglary and theft was caught red handed this week. Bellingham Police Lt. Claudia Murphy says officers were sent to a business for an alarm just after 7 Wednesday morning. … She was booked into Whatcom County jail on burglary and malicious mischief charges.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald