Public Safety Updates
- BC: New strategy greatly reduces number of false alarms in Delta
2.20.19 – Delta-Optimist- A new Delta police policy has resulted in a 45 per cent reduction in false alarm calls, saving more than 700 operational hours. Chief Neil Dubord presented the …
- NC: Paid parking coming to Oak Island; false alarm violations to be penalized
2.20.19 – WECT- An ordinance to regulate police response to false alarms and implement fines for violations was also approved. Town leaders also discussed plans for the Oak …
- NT: Police to work with building owners on false alarms
2.19.19 – My Yellowknife Now – Yellowknife RCMP’s detachment commander Insp. Alex Laporte says the police agency is working on preventing false fire alarms. From January to the end of ..
- Video: Alarm.com looks to curb false alarms with ‘Smart Signal’
2.19.19 – SecurityInfoWatch – Matt Zartman, Director of Communications for Alarm.com, chats with SecurityInfoWatch.com contributor Steve Surfaro about the company’s recently launched …
- Security Industry Mourns the Loss of George Gunning
2.20.19 – Security Sales & Integration- Los Angeles – George Gunning, who gained luminary status in the alarm industry for his extensive dedication to industry trade associations and visionary …
- ADT to Integrate FirstNet Service Into Alarm Panels
2.21.19 – Security Sales & Integration- The company expects to have FirstNet-enabled alarm panels available by the second half of this year. By integrating FirstNet service into ADT Command alarm ..
- First US State, Vermont, Bans Dahua and Hikvision
The first US state, Vermont, has issued a ban on a number of Chinese and Russian manufacturers including the world’s 2 largest video surveillance manufacturers, Dahua and Hikvision. This follows the August 2018 NDAA banning US Government use of such products. However, the Vermont ban goes even farther.
State & National News
- High-tech window films protect against espionage
2.18.19 – SIW – Multi-purpose window films should be part of a multi-layered approach to developing comprehensive cyber and physical security plans
- Google apologizes for ‘secret’ microphone in Nest Secure home alarm …
2.20.19 – Gearbrain- When Google announced earlier this month that its Nest Secure home alarm system would soon work as a Google Home smart speaker, buyers were confused.
- Weslaco Fire Department warns residents of home security scam
2.20.19 – KGBT-TV- According to a police release on Facebook, individuals are offering home inspections and attempting to sell security and fire alarm systems to home owners.
- Google didn’t tell users that Nest home alarm has built-in microphone
2.20.19 – MarketWatch- Google said Wednesday it forgot to mention that it included a microphone in its Nest Secure home alarm system, the latest privacy flub by one of the tech …
- Changes to NFPA 101-2018
1.31.19 – Consulting-Specifying Engineer – NFPA 101-2018: Life Safety Code has three important updates that are vital to fire protection engineers. Read More
- UL Opens Catalog of Safety Standards for Online Viewing
SSI – UL has developed more than 1,400 standards to address safety, security and sustainability challenges and foster safe living and working conditions.
- Fire at Motel 6 brings to mind need for smoke alarm safety
2.24.19 – nbc16.com- Fire at Motel 6 brings to mind need for smoke alarm safety … the room failed to go off, raising questions about how safe the smoke alarms in your home might be.
- Common Sense Advice On How to Avoid Buyer Confusion
2.18.19 – Security Sales & Integration- As a former alarm company owner and an operations manager for two other security companies, I managed to avoid lawsuits of any kind. That’s not to say that …
- Legal Brief: Privacy in the Age of AI and Biometrics
2.14.19 – SIW – Companies deploying these technologies must use human intelligence to ensure artificial intelligence does not present unnecessary liability
- Monitoring Roundtable: Execs Share Perspectives on DIY, MIY Competition & More
2.20.19 – SSI- Leading thinkers from six firms serving the central station channel tackle solving top challenges, dealing with the DIY and MIY threat, and how to stand out from the crowd.
Fire & EMS News
- AR: Sprinkler test at Walmart causes fire department response
2.22.19 – Magnolia Banner News- 79 store in response to a sprinkler alarm call. The incident, though, turned out to be a false alarm. It was only a test of the system, according to on-scene …
- FL: 8 On Your Side Health & Fitness Expo briefly evacuated due to …
2.22.19 – WFLA- Tampa Fire Rescue confirmed to News Channel 8 the evacuation was due to an automated fire alarm, which triggered a sprinkler, in one of the convention .
- GA: Crime Report | 2.20.19
2.20.19 – The Emory Wheel- On Feb. 8 at 11:16 p.m., Emory Police Department (EPD) responded to a fire alarm at Clairmont Residential Center (CRC). DeKalb County Fire Rescue and …
- IL: Burnt food sets off 2 separate alarms in Charleston
2.20.19 – Journal Gazette and Times-Courier- Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at 6:52 p.m. Sunday at Pemberton Hall. … A fire alarm was set off by burnt food at 11:43 a.m. Tuesday at Giffin Hall in the …
- IN: Police Blotter: Feb. 19, 2019
2.20.19 – pharostribune.com- Logansport Fire Department. 7:36 p.m. — Fire alarm.
- KY: Report: Man disables smoke alarm, starts Lexington apartment fire
2.21.19 – WKYT- Lexington, Ky. – A man is accused of taking a battery out of a smoke detector before starting a fire inside a Lexington apartment. Robert Shepherd is ..
- MI: Farmington Public Safety officer rescues woman from house fire
2.20.19 – Farmington Voice- According to a press release, officers responded around 2:15 p.m. to a medical alarm at a duplex in the.The first …
- MT: Despite fire alarms, Wibaux girls win wild semifinal over Plenty Coups …
2.22.19 – MontanaSports- LAUREL – The fire alarms were a dead giveaway. Or, actually, more of a precursor Thursday of what was to come on semifinal night at the Southern C girls …
- NJ: Lacey Police Log: Stolen Trailer, Shoplifting, Fraud
2.23.19 – Patch.com- Carbon Monoxide Alarm – On Thursday, February 21, 2019, at 10:20 p.m., Officer Daniel Ricciardella responded to the area of Neosho Drive for an alarm …
- NY: Public Safety Logs Feb. 4-Feb. 7
2.21.19 – The Ithacan- SUMMARY: Simplex reported fire alarm. Activation was caused by smoke from faulty belt on water pump. Fire Protection Specialist Max Noble responded.
- OR: POLICE AND FIRE REPORTS
2.20.19 – St. Helens Chronicle- 7: 5:10 a.m. St. Helens firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm. The alarm was false. Feb. 7: 8:26 a.m. Rainier …
- PA: Emergency services
2.19.19 – Lock Haven Express- At 5:15 p.m., the Lock Haven Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at 360 East Park Street in Lock Haven City. The call was cleared at 5:26 p.m. …
- SC: Summerville family of 6 forced out of home after fire on Central Avenue
2.20.19 – ABC NEWS 4- The Summerville Fire & Rescue Department received an alarm about the structure fire at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night, according to a Summerville spokesperson.
- TN: Pollice/Fire reports for 02/21/19
2.22.19 – Columbia Daily Herald- 1:47 p.m., Alarm system activation, no fire – unintentional, 201 E. 14th St. ◇ 2:06 p.m., EMS call, excluding vehicle accident with injury, 309 Granada Drive.
- WI: Arcade game starts electrical fire at Richfield Cabela’s
2.23.19 – WTMJ-TV – Washington County Sheriff’s deputies and Richfield firefighters responded to the fire alarm at 11:17 p.m. Upon locating smoke, fire departments from …
- WI: Merrill Fire Department reports
2.18.19 – Merrillfotonews- Calls: #212- Eng 62, Truck 63 and Med 62 responded to a fire alarm sounding, no fire was found….
- AL: Suspects cut hole in roof to carry out overnight Hoover convenience …
2.23.19 – CBS42.com- Once inside, they destroyed the alarm panel, cut the phone lines and disabled the video surveillance system. The suspects took an undetermined amount of …
- AR: ATF joins hunt for suspects who stole 79 guns in brazen Arkansas …
2.19.19 – Fox News- The incident occurred at about 3 a.m. on Friday and the burglary did not trigger an alarm, The Arkansas Democrat Gazette reported. The suspects, apparently …
- CA: Teen Breaks Into Claremont Skate Shop, Caught Wearing Stolen …
2.24.19 – KTLA- Pomona police responded to Stix Ride Shop just before 4 a.m., when an alarm was triggered. Officers arrived to find the store’s front ..
- CA: WATCH: Suspect detained, Saanich Police confirm weapons threat a …
2.23.19 – Sooke News Mirror- The Saanich Police Department responded to reports of a man with a weapon at an apartment building in that block around 7 a.m. after the building alarm was …
- FL: 2 high school students arrested for attempted Lakeland gun store …
2.22.19 – The Ledger- After the glass broke, the store alarm sounded and both suspects fled the area. … “Thankfully, the alarm did its job, along with steel security bars at the door, and …
- FL: Surveillance video captures attempted burglary of Cooper City home
2.22.19 – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale- The homeowner, who saw the duo peering in through the camera, activated the alarm, and the two ran away.
- FL: Three Lakeland businesses hit by smash-and-grab burglars
2.20.19 – The Ledger- Around 6:53 a.m., the Sheriff’s Office received an alarm call indicating EZ Wireless Store had a break-in. When deputies arrived, they found the front doors of …
- IA: Trial resumes in Cedar Falls jewelry store holdup
2.19.19 – Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier- As Petitt shifted to activate the store alarm, the masked man shouted “no buttons” and sprayed Petitt in the face. He ordered her to the ground, where, eyes …
- IL: Burglars break into O’Fallon business, ride away on stolen …
2.22.19 – Belleville News-Democrat- A burglar alarm went off at …
- MA: Cash stolen in New Bedford City Hall break
2.20.19 – SouthCoastToday.com- … other City Hall offices, he said. NBPD detectives are investigating the break and reviewing information from the building’s alarm and camera systems, he said.
- MA: Concord police log, Feb. 10-17
2.23.19 – Wicked Local- 4:37 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at Concord-Carlisle High School. Police checked the exterior….
- MA: Littleton police reports: Feb. 7-13
2.22.19 – Wicked Local- 10:30 a.m.: An activated burglar alarm was investigated….
- MA: Rochester Police Log: Feb. 10-16
2.22.19 – Wicked Local- 4:36 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at a residence…
- MA: Wareham Police seeking sledge hammer-wielding B&E suspect
2.23.19 – Wicked Local- Wareham Police responded to the Wreckless Hobbies shop, for an alarm. Upon arrival, Officer Ryan Gomes found the front door to be
- MD: Crime Line 2/14 – 2/20
2.21.19 – The Bottom Line News- 02/19/2019 Alarm –Allegany County Dispatch reported a burglary/motion alarm in lobby of S.E.R.F. Upon arrival of officers , a window in the lobby was slightly …
- MN: Shakopee police officer cleared in fatal shooting last fall
2.19.19 – TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press- Officer Thor Carlson and a rookie he was training responded to a November fire alarm call at the home of James Hanchett at 823 Apgar St. S. A Minneosta …
- MO: Multiple businesses broken into, one burglarized
2.24.19 – KOMU 8- He said the people who broke in might have known to break the back window of the camper because that isn’t connected to an alarm. He also said the buildings’ …
- NH: Police: SAU alarm that summoned police was ‘personnel issue’
2.19.19 – Valley News- 13 when the police department responded to a “special ed panic alarm,” which he described as a button that summons a police response. Such alarms are …
- OH: Break-in at wireless store: Avon Police Blotter
2.24.19 – cleveland.com- AVON —Breaking and entering, Police responded to an alarm at 2:25 a.m. at a T-Mobile wireless store. Officers found a window broken with a rock …
- OH: Grove City: Business owners find glass broken; no items stolen
2.19.19 – ThisWeek Community News- Grove City police officers responded Feb. 12 to burglar alarms sounding at two businesses. Officers were dispatched at 8:23 p.m. to a business in the 3600 block …
- OH: Jewelry heist suspects named
2.19.19 – The Review- … cut through into the jewelry store, carrying a backpack and crowbar, shimmying down water pipes and ripping out wiring for the alarm system in the process.
- OH: Reward offered in Cleveland bank robbery
2.20.19 – fox8.com- The suspect warned the employee not to press the alarm button. The FBI said he got away with an undisclosed amount of cash. No one was injured. The suspect …
- RI: Four accused of breaking into Cranston West High School
2.23.19 – Turn to 10- Officers said they responded to the school at about 5 a.m. after the burglar-alarm system went off. Maj. Todd Patalano, of the Cranston Police Department, told
- SC: Orangeburg bank robbed, suspect found in nearby yard; man on …
2.22.19 – The Times and Democrat- Officers learned of the robbery at 8:47 a.m. after someone called 911 and a clerk activated an emergency alarm. Officers were on the scene within two minutes.
- TN: Police investigate attempted burglary at Madison business
2.18.19 – WSMV Nashville- Madison,TN – Police say a surveillance video shows a man and woman breaking into an insurance business in Madison this morning. Police say it …
- TX: Business burglary suspect caught on camera
2.22.19 – FOX 29- The building’s alarm did go off and the man didn’t get away with anything after spending less than two minutes inside. If you have any information about who this .
- TX: Thieves Target Scuba Stores in Frisco, Plano
2.20.19 – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth- They begin to grab gear off the shelves, and aren’t bothered by the alarm when it goes off. Store owner Thorsten Prutz said he was alerted to the break-in by his …
- VA: Pittsylvania county gun shop has another attempted burglary
2.19.19 – WDBJ7- … alarm than show up to a building with a gaping hole and a truck sitting in it,” said Jennings. Jennings already has a security system with multiple door sensors, …
- WA: Truck backs into beer shop in botched burglary
2.19.19 – FOX13 Memphis- Seattle – The owner of a Greenwood beer shop is dealing with thousands of dollars’ worth of repairs after burglars backed a truck into her store overnight.
- WI: Police: Walkie-talkies help police arrest three for burglary
2.22.19 – WKOW- Police responded to a burglar alarm at a construction site around 10:30 p.m., police said. The project had a problem with copper thieves. Officers searched the …
- WV: News of Record
2.19.19 – Beckley Register-Herald- Residential/Commercial Alarm:
- WV: Wheeling and Ohio County Police Reports
2.18.19 – Wheeling Intelligencer- Saturday. At 9:54 a.m., Market Street, burglar alarm.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams