Public Safety Updates
- AZ: Paradise Valley upgrades legacy alarm program adding next …
2.18.20 – Independent – Paradise Valley Police Chief Peter Wingert has introduced an option for the local alarm system to enter the 21st Century, as just over 300 households subscribe to the offering.
- GA: Cartersville City Council mulling food truck, security alarm …
2.23.20 – Daily Tribune – Cartersville City Council mulling food truck, security alarm ordinances. The Cartersville City Council heard the first readings of two proposed ordinances at Thursday evening’s meeting — one that would create tighter restrictions on food truck businesses and another …
- TMA Acquires Installation Quality (IQ) Certification Program
2.19.20 – SSI – The program was initially developed by the Electronic Security Association’s False Alarm Committee as a means to reduce the occurrence of nuisance alarms.
State & National News
- Google to Require Nest Users to Enable 2-Factor Authentication
2.18.20 – SSI – Google says enabling two-factor authentication “will greatly reduce the likelihood of an unauthorized person gaining access to your Nest account.”
- Florida Senate panel postpones bill to require public school panic alarm systems
2.18.20 – Tallahassee Democrat – Lawmakers on Tuesday again confronted the legacy of the 2018 Parkland mass shooting with a ‘panic button’ proposal. A Senate panel was set to consider a bill (SB 70) requiring school districts to have panic alarm systems that teachers and staff can activate during emergencies. …
- Florida occupational licensing rollback stymied in Senate panel
2.19.20 – Apopka Voice – The Florida House is expected to approve House Bill 3, which would prohibit local governments from imposing occupational licensing and …
- How to Use the Upsell to Swell Sales
2.21.20Experts in access control, video surveillance and intrusion share upsell strategies to make sure your legacy customers stay happy and put.
- There’s Always Room for Ethics in Competition, No Matter How Prestigious the Prize
2.21.20 – CI – It’s important for businesses to beat their competitors and win the big jobs, but it’s not something that should be done at the expense of ethics.
- Have Your Techs Mastered These Critical Math Skills?
2.21.20 – SSI – Do you have a formal training program or just offer by-the-seat-of-your-pants on the job training? Make sure your techs know these math fundamentals.
- Smart Locks: Avoid These 5 Mistakes When Selling
2.21.20 – SSI – Smart locks can open the door to selling additional security and home automation offerings. However, there are a handful of mistakes you must avoid.
Fire & EMS News
- AZ: Yavapai County Sheriff’s Deputies were dispatched to an ..
2.19.20 – Daily Courier – Suspicious fire reported at Congress Grocery Store, information sought … to an alarm call at the Congress Grocery Store in Congress on Feb.
- CT: Police: Accomplice in crab legs grocery store arson …
2.18.20 – Greenwich Time – Danbury — Police arrested a Danbury man they believe was an accomplice in the December attempted heist of nearly $3,400 of seafood and other items from a grocery store in which one of the men allegedly started a fire in the men’s room to cover their tracks. … The fire set off the store’s alarm.
- MA: Smoke stalls Burger King at lunchtime
2.23.20 – Daily Hampshire Gazette – Northampton — Burger King on King Street briefly stopped making food Friday after smoke filled the restaurant. … “Filled the building with smoke,” he said. Davine said the fire department alerted the board of health of the situation and left it with them.22 hours ago
- VT: Rechargeable battery explosion linked to Greensboro fire
2.20.20 – WCAX – Greensboro, Vt. State investigators say a rechargeable battery explosion caused a house fire in Greensboro. The Greensboro Fire.
- AK: Bethel Police Identify One Suspect, A Minor, In ALASKAbuds …
2.20.20 – KYUK – Bethel Police have identified one of the suspects in the ALASKAbuds marijuana store break-in and burglary. … contact with the other boy involved in the break-in, who is believed to be a minor and a relative of the first suspect.
- AL: Man steals Hanceville police cruiser, wrecks after high speed …
2.17.20 – WBRC – Cullman Police apprehended a male suspect who stole a Hanceville police cruiser and led authorities on a short chase before being forced to …
- AL: Russellville Police looking for burglar who stole thousands of …
2.22.20 – WHNT – Russellville Police said around 3 a.m. Thursday, the person shown in the surveillance video broke in through the drive-thru window of the Hometown Pharmacy on Gandy Street. Police say they responded after the alarm went off but not before the suspect got away with around 2,000 pills of Percocet and Phenergan.
- AZ: Police catch trespassers inside Paradise Valley home
2.18.20 – Independent – Two suspects were caught inside a Paradise Valley home after entering through a damaged and boarded up window, police officials say.
- CA: Ventura police arrest two men for prowling at local businesses …
2.17.20 – Ventura – KEYT – Two suspects were arrested for prowling on the properties of local businesses, one with the purpose of stealing from the business.
- CA: Grover Beach PD increases fines for false alarms to avoid …
2.21.20 – KSBY – If you register your system for $25 every year, the fine for false alarms is less expensive:
- CA: Peterson alarmed by lack of response to burglary
2.22.20 – Record Gazette – At the Feb. 11 Banning city council meeting, resident John Hagen spoke up about an alarming development …
- CA: Break In attempt at new business in downtown Redding …
2.22.20 – (KRCR) – A small eclectic business in downtown Redding has been open for a little more than a month and has already had its first attempted break-in.
- CO: Basalt police seek help identifying man who broke into …
2.21.20 – Aspen Times – Basalt police are seeking help identifying a man who broke into the Roots Rx marijuana shop Tuesday night. Police believe the suspect hid outside the business in the Southside neighborhood until employees closed and departed, according to Sgt. Aaron Munch.
- FL: Police release surveillance footage of robbers targeting …
2.18.20 – Virginia Gardens, FLA. (WSVN) – Miami-Dade Police need help identifying two men who were caught on camera attempting to rob a home …
- MA: 2 Brockton businesses broken into a half-mile apart …
2.18.20 – The Enterprise – Brockton — Detectives are investigating whether two similar break-ins that occurred early Tuesday morning at businesses located just a half-mile apart are …
- MD: 3 suspects charged in connection with home invasion in Howard County
2.21.20 – WBAL – Although police aren’t giving details about their search, the investigation has led them to the arrests of three suspects: Antione Harris, of Baltimore; Quadari McLendon, of Prince George’s County; and Krystle Green, of Annapolis.
- MO: Three teens in custody after elementary school break-in
2.19.20 – KOLR – Three teenagers are in custody after breaking into a Springfield … Shortly after 1:30 a.m. the teens broke into Wilder elementary school, stealing several tablets. … Police arrested two of the teens on the scene as they were …
- OR: Burglar uses window punch in Medford golf club burglary …
2.18.20 – Mail Tribune – Medford – The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said a burglar used a window punch tool early Tuesday morning to break into Medford’s Centennial Golf Club and steal …
- SC: Myrtle Beach store broken into, register emptied police say …
2.17.20 – Myrtle Beach, S.C. (WPDE) – Police responded to the Ridge Mart along highway 15 in Myrtle Beach Sunday in reference to an alarm at the business. On scene, an officer observed a large rock on the ground and broken glass.
- SD: Sioux Falls man used storm grate to break into a business …
2.18.20 – Argus Leader – Sioux Falls man used storm grate to break into a business, police say. Sioux Falls police have arrested a 30-year-old man they say broke a window to get into a business overnight and then became belligerent with officers once he was detained.
- TX: Suspect tied to string of restaurant burglaries in northwest Harris County, deputies say
2.18.20 – Click 2 Houston – Houston – Deputies search for a burglar who has hit two restaurants in two weeks in northwest Harris County, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.
- TX: Alleged home burglar caught using stolen credit card
2.19.20 -KGNS – A man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly burgled a home and made a purchase using a stolen credit card. Laredo Police arrested 20-year-old Nathan Ryan Jimenez in the case. The incident came to light on January 31st when officers responded to an alarm call …
- WA: SPD officers fail to catch burglar in office, despite being at car …
2.20.20 – KIRO – Seattle – Newly released body camera video shows Seattle police officers responding to a burglary at a Lake City car dealership, admitting to each other that they don’t know in which of two buildings did the alarm go off, and then proceeding to only inspect one of the buildings while a person burglarizes the other.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela