Public Safety Updates
- GA: City postpones fire alarm vote
2.20.21 – Tifton Gazette – TIFTON – Tifton City Council postponed a vote on amending a fire alarm ordinance.
State & National News
- Heading out? Ring’s new geofencing feature can remind you …
2.17.21 – TechHive – The Ring app can now remind you to arm your devices as you’re crossing the boundary of your geofenced area. Besides the “home” and “away” reminders, the Ring app can now automatically “snooze” certain alerts when you’re on your way home.
- Hospitality Industry Turns To Aspirating Smoke Detection
2.18.21 – Facility Executive – With aspirating technology, early smoke detection like the Xtralis VESDA VEA allows hotel and resort managers to put more occupants in a given indoor space so in the event of a fire, earlier notification allows guests to exit the building faster.
- Will the new administration be good for security?
2.17.21- SSN – YARMOUTH, Maine—As with every change in administration, the impact, either good or bad, on the security industry is something that has been hotly debated in this column before, and one that is at the heart of this month’s News Poll.
- When Is the Right Time To Fire a Client?
2.18.21 – CEPro – Integrator describes the tough decision to ‘fire’ a client after the homeowner messed with the installation, then complained it didn’t work.
- Navigating the Sales Funnel During the Coronavirus Pandemic
2.19.21 – CI – Clients still have needs and you still need to make money so figure out how to maximize the opportunities on both sides, says Tom Stimson.
- Sounding 3G Upgrade Alarm: Where Do You Stand?
2.19.21 – SSI – Execs from Doyle Security Systems, Quick Response Monitoring and Paladin Technologies share their perspective on the looming 3G sunset.
- Most Commonly Owned Smart Home Device? The Security Camera.
2.19.21 – SSI – Cameras may still reign supreme, but new market research reveals the largest smart home device sales gains are in security systems.
Fire & EMS News
- CA: Chumuckla Elementary School Struck By Lightning …
2.15.21 – NorthEscambia.com – Chumuckla Elementary School was struck by lightning on Monday. The Allentown Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a fire alarm at the …
- IN: 100 animals die in Indiana pet store fire
2.16.21 – NBC12 – Indianapolis (Gray News) – A fire at an Indiana pet store resulted in approximately 100 animals dying from smoke inhalation. · Several fire …
- LA: HFD responds to smoke alarm
2.17.21 – hammondstar.com – “The motor inside an air conditioning unit overheated and it caused some smoke, which set the alarm off,” he said. … “We responded to an alarm at Dirt Cheap at the same time and what happened there was one of their sprinkler pipes busted, setting off an alarm,” he said. “There also was no damage there as well.”
- MO: Large water pipe bursts at Springfield apartment complex as …
2.16.21 -KY3 – Large water pipe bursts at Springfield apartment complex as cold temperatures continue.
- OK: Apartment Destroyed Due To Winter Weather …
2.16.21 – Oklahoma City – A woman in Norman told KOCO 5 that her apartment is destroyed after pipes broke. She said a pipe burst and left her and her roommate’s apartment drenched. “Honestly, the fire alarm came off,” Kendra Lane said. Lane thought the alarm was just a drill, so she grabbed a few things and went outside.
- ON: CO alarm warns Collingwood woman of potentially deadly …
2.18.21 – Collingwood Today – A carbon monoxide alarm can save lives. A Collingwood resident is hoping her close call with carbon monoxide will encourage others to check their alarms. “The problem was a leak in the furnace.” …
- AZ: PCSD: Deputies searching for bank robbery suspect
2.19.21 – KGUN – The Pima County Sheriff’s Department is asking for help in the search for a bank robbery suspect.
- CA: ‘Nothing can break us’: Lodi business rebuilds after car …
2.17.21 -Fox 40 – “We had countless products that were broken. It was a mess,” manager Danielle Marsh told FOX40. “Our alarm went off at midnight and alerted us that there was broken glass, so we immediately drove down and saw the big hole.”
- GA Serial restaurant burglary suspect arrested after standoff at …
2.18.21 – FOX 5 Atlanta – Police have identified the suspect as 28-year-old Conyers resident Jah’msid Nieem Ci’heed Johnson. According to Sandy Springs police, Johnson was wanted for multiple robberies of restaurants in the area over the past weekend – usually breaking the front door and stealing money from inside.
- KY: Madisonville police investigating attempted ATM theft, stolen …
5.21.21 – 14News – Police say further investigation revealed the truck was stolen from a residence in Manitou between 10 p.m. Saturday and 3:35 a.m. Sunday. If …
- LA: Napoleonville man accused of burglarizing area businesses
2.18.21 – Houmatoday – A Napoleonville man was arrested Wednesday in connection with January business burglary, authorities said. Donnie Daigle, 30, is charged with simple burglary, simple criminal property damage and felony theft, the Assumption Parish Sheriff’s Office said.
- NE: LPD: Man steals bottle of alcohol & air freshener from closed …
2.16.21 – Koln – Officers with the Lincoln Police Department arrested a man for stealing a bottle of alcohol and an air freshener from a closed Walgreens.
- NJ: GOTCHA! Out-Of-State Clifton Auto Shop Burglary Suspect’s …
2.20.21 – Daily Voice – An Arizona man stopped in the freezing rain by a New Jersey State Police trooper who was helping his Clifton colleagues search for an auto repair shop burglar claimed that he’d just gone out for a walk, authorities said.·
- PA: Man returns home to intense flames shooting through his family’s roof
2.18.21 – WPXI – Reserve Township, PA – He and his family were not staying in the home for the night because of an issue with the furnace. However, he went to check on things when he got a call from the alarm company that the carbon monoxide detector was going off, Reserve Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Dave Moore said.
- TN: Two men arrested after breaking into multiple Cooper-Young …
2.16.21 – WMC5 – Two men arrested after breaking into multiple Cooper-Young business, police say · The owner of Young Avenue Deli told police his alarm …
- TN: UPDATE: Suspect in restaurant ATM burglary center of …
2.15.21 – WRCB – UPDATE: The suspect in the theft of an ATM from a local restaurant was the center of a standoff Friday on Signal Mountain, according to …
- VA: Forgotten when Vienna CVS closes, honest patron leaves.
2.15.21 – Inside Nova – Vienna police officers responded Feb. 9 at 9:23 p.m. to the report of an alarm at CVS. The alarm company told police someone could be seen inside the store on the surveillance cameras. ….
- VA: Police Investigating More Business Break-ins Along Wilson Blvd
2.18.21 – ARLnow – Arlington County police are investigating a number of businesses break-ins along Wilson Blvd, west of Ballston. Thieves broke into businesses …
- WA: Police arrest burrowing burglars at Westwood Village, recover …
2.18.21 – Westside Seattle – Officers arrested two suspects and recovered a stolen handgun Wednesday morning after responding to a commercial burglar alarm in …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald