Public Safety Updates
- VA: Charlottesville Police adds another way to register security ala –
2.3.20 – CBS19 – Charlottesville Police Department adds another way for residents and business owners to register their security alarm system.
- ‘99% are false alarms:’ DCSO wants to adopt alarm registry …
2.7.20 – KETV – The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office plans to ask the county board to … are false alarms:’ DCSO wants to adopt alarm registry; would cost home/ …
- Columbus (Ga.) City Council Approves False Alarm Fines
2.6.20 – SSI – A new ordinance that took effect Jan. 1 aims to curb an increasingly large number of false intrusion and fire alarms.
- Accidental calls made easy by SmartPhones waste time and resources at 911 call centers (WI)
2.5.20 – WFRV- Accidental emergency calls have become a costly problem at the Brown County 911 Center.
- TMA Onboards 63rd Jurisdiction to ASAP-to-PSAP Service
2.4.20 – SSI – ASAP-to-PSAP service is designed to increase the accuracy and efficiency of calls for service from alarm companies to PSAPs.
- CA: Beaumont Police Department will now charge for false alarms …
2.9.20 – Record Gazette – As of March 1, the Beaumont Police Department will now charge residents and businesses for two false alarms within a year at a starting rate of $100. Residents …
- ADT Commercial acquires Alliant Integrators
2.5.20 – SSN – Chicago – ADT Commercial continues its expansion with the acquisition of Louisville, Ky.-based Alliant Integrators, growing its geographic footprint and strengthening its capacity to serve mid-market, national and large-scale commercial customers.
- Alarm Panel Dispute Lives on Despite End of UL Investigation
2.3.20 – SSI – UL says it found no compliance issues related to claims that tens of millions of alarm panels should be recalled due to safety concerns.
- Is This Camera-less DIY System the Future of Home Security?
2.6.20 – SSI – Minut uses passive infrared heat detection to detect living things, in addition to tracking changes in the environment such as temperature or noise disturbances.
- Austin woman haunted by her own home alarm
2.9.20 – KVUE – Betty Heisser said her security system was making her tired, anxious and full of fear. She reached out to the KVUE Defenders for help solving …
State & National News
- Missouri bills would ease licensing for out-of-state workers
2.3.20 – Associated Press – Missouri lawmakers this session are trying to make it easier for military spouses and out-of-state doctors, teachers, pharmacists and other licensed professionals to get jobs in the state. NCSL’s occupational licensing project
- 10-digit dialing in 937 area code starts Feb. 8
2.3.20 – Business Wire – Windstream local telephone customers in the 937 area code will need to use the area code in addition to the 7-digit telephone number (area …
- Over 200 cameras installed in Niles schools to increase security
2.4.20 – WSBT – Niles Schools are making sure students are safe by increasing security. A nearly $450000 grant has enabled education officials to “see” what’s …
- The cities where car accidents happen most often
2.3.20 – Route Fifty – Houston, Los Angeles and Charlotte, North Carolina had the most traffic accidents in the country last year, while an interstate exit in Greenville, South Carolina was the nation’s worst collision hotspot, according to recent research from a transportation nonprofit.
- States are cracking down on companies microchipping their employees
2.4.20 – MarketWatch – Indiana is a step closer to forbidding companies from forcing workers to implant microchips in their bodies, following the state House of Representatives’ unanimous passage of a bill last week that could make it the 12th state with such a law. Is this just a bill to protect against the stuff of science fiction?
- Arizona Bill Would Change Membership of Licensing Boards …
2.7.20 – US News – The Arizona Legislature is looking to diminish the influence of experts on the boards that license and discipline engineers, certified public accountants, barbers and a variety of other professionals. Responding to a request by Gov. Doug Ducey in his State of the State speech last …
- U.S. employers add a strong 225,000 jobs in January, unemployment up to 3.6%
2.7.20 – Associated Press – Hiring jumped last month as U.S. employers added a robust 225,000 jobs, bolstering an economy that faces threats from China’s viral outbreak, an ongoing trade war and struggles at Boeing.
- PA: Suspicious Man May Be Going Door-To-Door In Upper …
2.8.20 – Patch – Upper Makefield, PA – Police in Upper Makefield are warning residents of a possible … a man purporting to be a ADT representative came to the door asking … Police said a Lenape Drive resident reported that on Thursday …
- How To Get The End User To Use The AV You Install For Them
2.4.20 – CI – If the end user doesn’t use the AV systems you install for them, there’s a good chance that something went wrong along the way.
- RMR Deep Dive: Growth Rates, Industry Impact & More Revealed
2.5.20 – SSI – In case knowing recurring revenue builds company value isn’t enough, holdouts may be won over by new research showing 42% margins and 17% growth.
- Evolving Technology & Costs: The New Paradigms in Monitoring
2.7.20 – SSI – There will be several new “paradigms” emerging all of which will impact the costs of monitoring. As an industry, we need to consider them very carefully.
- How to Get Better Sound in Smaller Spaces
2.4.20 – CEPro – Carefully selected products and loudspeaker locations can help integrators maximize the performance of home audio systems in condos and apartments.
- Real words or Buzzwords?: H.264 and I-frames, P-frames and B-frames – Part 2
2.4.20 – SIW – A look at the different H.264 video frame types and how they relate to intended uses of video
- Mitigating Mistakes: Unauthorized Roof Access
2.6.20 – SIW – Risk-reducing options abound for this often-overlooked security vulnerability
Fire & EMS News
- FL: Miami man pulled fire alarm, hid inside dorm, police say …
2.3.20 – Gainesville.com – University of Florida Police say Israel Pina, 25, pulled a fire alarm to gain entry into an empty dorm room early Saturday.
- CA: Motion Sensors Give Accused Convenience Store Thief Away …
2.4.20 – Deputies caught an alleged burglar in the act inside a local business. … Greg Stark says it happened around 4:30 Saturday morning at the Kwik Serv gas station in Arnold, identifying the male arrested as 53-year-old Thomas James McNicholas of Arnold. … He continues, “Deputies were …
- CA: Tracy Burglary Suspects Arrested Exiting Residence With …
2.4.20 – Tracy (CBS13) – Deputies arrested two suspected burglars as they exited the back of a residence on Sunday morning
- CO: Longmont police notes: Man burglarizes gas station for 7 …
2.3.20 – Longmont police responded Friday to an alarm. A man had broken into a gas station and stolen seven packs of cigarettes.
- CT: New Canaan burglar alarm leads cops to drug paraphernalia …
2.6.20 – New Canaan – Officers responding to a residential burglary alarm Tuesday night wound up issuing the homeowner an infraction after multiple ..
- GA: Bizarre burglary in Dunwoody
2.8.20 – Fox 5 – Responding officers say they were baffled by what they saw and by the story the suspect gave them. According to police, Christopher Burnette triggered the home alarm on a home Wednesday morning. When the alarm company called, police say Burnette answered …
- GA: Burglar alarm leads to arrest at Valdosta car dealership
2.4.20 – WFXL – Valdosta police say that just before 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, officers responded to an alarm at the dealership.
- NC: Winston-Salem armed robbery: The Village Tavern
2.9.20 – WXII – The Winston-Salem Police Department is investigating an armed robbery …
- ND: Silent, Sunday Morning Panic Alarm In Grand Forks | Thief …
2.9.20 – Grand Forks, ND (www.newsbreak.site) Grand Forks Police responded to a panic alarm at a gas station at 6:50 a.m. Sunday. We had Grand …
- TX: Burglar caught on tape breaking into Highland Hills church …
2.4.20 – WFAA – Dallas – Hours after an unidentified thief broke into the Bon Air Church, instead of lashing out in anger, the congregation spent time …
- WA: $8K worth of gear stolen from Spokane tattoo shop
2.8.20 – KREM – Spokane, Wash – A tattoo shop downtown is offering a $1000 reward for anyone who can identify the person who broke into their office and stole over $8000 …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela