Public Safety Updates
- OH: Wheeling Police Department Releases 2020 Crime Statistics …
1.29.21 – WTRF – The False Alarm Reduction Program was implemented in October 2016 with the goal to gradually decrease the number of false burglar alarms police were responding to in hopes to ease the burden on the patrol division. In the last year, the number of false alarms the department responded to from the previous year decreased by 20%. In the last four years, the alarm count has steadily declined overall by 36%.
State & National News
- Door-To-Door Sales People You Don’t Miss Seeing
1.25.21 – WSPT – Door to door sales were extremely popular a few years ago and you probably don’t miss it at all. We created a list of the old door-to-door sales …
- Physical security incidents on the rise during COVID-19 …
1.27.21 – SSN – Physical security breaches on the rise during COVID-19. San Antonio, Texas—Businesses are experiencing a 20 percent increase in …
- Tennessee woman loses $37,000; home security system …
1.30.21 – Maryville, Tenn. (WATE) – A Maryville woman has been left with almost nothing after a scammer drained her checking and savings accounts. … She fears someone also could have been spying on her through her computer and home security cameras.
- 3 Mistakes to Avoid While Managing Remote Workers
1.29.21 – CI – There’s just as big of a danger in not giving your remote workers enough freedom as there is in giving them too much.
- 5 ways your smart home can help you relax
1.28.21 – C/Net – While your smart home can keep you on task, it can also help you unwind and unplug.
- 5 Steps to Tax Season Success
1.30.21 – Entrepreneur – Tax season is here. Prepare now to avoid any unwanted surprises April 15.
- Why Your Life, Like Any Successful Company, Should Have a …
1.30.21 – Entrepreneur – When you are clear about where you want to go, you know which way to go. When you are clear about your goal, you are able to choose activities that help make it come true, you know what to give up and who to surround yourself with. It’s because your life, like any successful company, should have a business model.
Fire & EMS News
- MI: Mattawan students relocate after carbon monoxide detector …
1.26.21 – WWMT -…, after school officials said a carbon monoxide alarm went off in the kitchen. The Mattawan Consolidated Schools Superintendent Randy Fleenor said a …
- MN: Fire alarm goes off at Brainerd bakery | Brainerd Dispatch
1.25.21 – Brainerd Dispatch – The fire alarm Friday, Jan. 22, at Knotty Pine Bakery in downtown Brainerd prompted firefighter response. The Brainerd Fire Department received the call at 12:52 p.m. and upon arrival, determined it was a maintenance matter.
- AL: Burglars steal AR-style rifles from Rainbow City gun store
1.26.21 – Gadsden Times – Two suspects broke into a Rainbow City gun store Friday morning, stealing 15 AR-style rifles.
- AL: Local break-ins include $8,000 worth of washing machines …
1.26.21 – Daily Home – Talladega Police are investigating break-ins at two different businesses Monday night or Tuesday morning, according to incident and offense …
- AL: Two arrested in gas station robberies
1.31.21 – Dothan Eagle – On Friday, the Enterprise Police Department announced that two arrests were made in connection with the recent robberies of two local gas stations. The first incident occurred at approximately 5 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 2.
- CA: BUSTED: Police catch suspect red-handed trying to escape …
1.26.21 – ABC7 – BUSTED: Police catch suspect red-handed trying to escape with stolen merchandise. Burbank, Cali. (SBG) — A suspect was caught red-handed on a police camera attempting to make a run for it with stolen merchandise in hand.
- CO: Burglary suspect hides from police behind cardboard …
1.30.21 – KKTV – Burglary suspect hides from police behind cardboard; Suspect now in custody. This happened at a retail store on the North side of Pueblo …
- FL: Suspect tasered after threatening Indian River Co. deputy with …
1.25.21 – (CBS12) – A 47-year-old man is facing several charges after threatening a deputy with a machete early Monday morning, the Indian River County Sheriff’s Office said. … When Dilks approached him, Gordon “became confrontational,” pulled a machete with a 12-inch blade from his waistband and threatened the corporal.
- GA: Ball Ground pharmacy burglarized – may be tied to other …
1.25.21 – Burglary crew hits Cherokee County pharmacy and leaves with narcotics, money. Ball Ground, Ga. … The Ball Ground Police Department in Cherokee County reports that, around 4:30 a.m., three men forced their way into the Ball Ground Pharmacy. Police said the men were dressed in black pants, black hoodies and masks.
- IL: Accused Chicago bank robber fills out withdrawal slip …
1.27.21 – TMJ4 – Chicago – A Chicago man apparently made it easy for police when, allegedly demanding $10,000 at a local bank, he compiled with a teller’s request and filled out a withdrawal slip and provided a valid ID. … The 34-year-old later admitted to attempting to rob the bank, the newspaper reports, citing the federal complaint.
- IN: Two suspects arrested in connection to Ace Hardware …
1.30.21 – WNDU – Two suspects have been arrested in relation to an early morning burglary at Ace Hardware in St. Joseph Township.
- KY: ATM Badly Damaged In Hopkinsville Theft
1.30.21 – WKDZ – Authorities are investigating a theft at Planters Bank Saturday morning. Hopkinsville Police say they were called to the bank for an alarm just before 5 am and found the ATM severely damaged.
- KY: Danville Police seek suspect in attempted jewelry store break …
1.27.21 – Advocate Messenger – In the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 27, Danville Police responded to an alarm and attempted burglary at Exquisite Jewelry. The …
- MD: Montgomery County Maryland
1.25.21 – MyMCM – Detectives from the 5th District are investigating burglaries of two gas stations located in Germantown that were committed by the same suspects on January 3, minutes apart. The two suspects were successful in stealing an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) from one of the gas stations…
- MI: Suspects Wanted for Break-in of Pontiac Credit Union ATM …
1.26.21 – Pontiac, MI – On Monday January 24th, 2021, Oakland County Sheriff Deputies responded to the Chief Financial Credit Union on the report of a larceny from an ATM.
- MI: Thieves trip ATM alarm, wait nearby for police, then go back …
1.27.21 – Detroit News – Thieves trip ATM alarm, wait nearby for police, then go back for cash … accused of stealing from a credit union ATM in Pontiac this week.
- MO: Police investigate a break-in at the Springfield Art Museum
1.29.21 – Springfield, Mo. (KY3) -Police say someone smashed a window to gain access inside the Art Museum Friday morning.
- NL: RNC Investigating Robbery at Commercial Business … –
1.31.21 – VOCM – The RNC is investigating a robbery at a commercial business in the capital city this weekend. Shortly after 6 p.m. on Saturday, police responded to a hold up alarm at the business in the west end of St. John’s. The Police Dog Service Unit responded to the robbery, but the suspect fled the scene.
- TN: MPD searching for 4 suspects in connection with local …
1.29.21 – Fox 13 – Memphis police need help identifying several suspects in a recent string of burglaries at local businesses. On Jan. 26, officers responded to an alarm call at the Marathon gas station … Four suspects inside a Silverado backed into the front door of the business and stole cigars and cash.
- TN: Police: Man arrested after allegedly shattering Johnson City …
1.29.21 – WJHL – Police: Man arrested after allegedly shattering Johnson City church door, found sleeping in stairwell.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald