Public Safety Updates
- MA: An Alarming Reminder from Barnstable Police
12.30.18 – Cape Cod Today – All burglar alarm registrations within the Town of Barnstable will expire on December 31, 2018. If you are an Alarm User, commercial or residential, monitored or …
- SK: RPS changing alarm response policy
12.30.18 – 620 CKRM.com- The Regina Police Service is changing their response to alarm calls. The move, effective January 1st, is being done in order to make the policy more efficient.
- Fighting False Fire Alarms In Facilities
12.27.18 – Facility Executive Magazine – It doesn’t take long for the average facility manager to seek the help of a fire alarm contractor capable of doing whatever must be done to keep everyone on-site …
State & National News
- Printers: A regulatory blind spot for IT security professionals?
12.19.18 – SIW – GDPR affects all types of personal data workflow, regardless of printed or electronic format
- Guidelines for the Use of PIV Credentials in Facility Access
12.17.18 – SIW – SP 800-116-Revison 1 crystalizes the methodology for PIV card access application in federally-controlled facilities
- Top 50 Cities for Amazon Package Theft
12.26.18 – CEPrO- Research: San Francisco and Seattle are most frequent cities for Amazon package theft by ‘porch pirates’ and offer strongest potential to install front doorbell camera systems.
- Lawsuit accuses surveyors of failing to turn alarm back on, allowing …
12.26.18 – Cook County Record – Chicago – The owners of a residential property in Chicago allege the property was looted after an Oak Forest surveying company failed to reengage the alarm.
- Lawsuit: Door-to-door salesman gets $750000 for off-duty Pasadena …
12.29.18 – The Pasadena Star-News – “The word that kept coming to my mind was arrogance,” Cohen said on behalf of his alarm-system salesman client. “Because it was arrogance that got us here …
- Year in Review: Revisiting Favorite SSI Columnist Contributions
12.29.18 – Security Sales & Integration – Call it a barefaced plug for SSI if you must, but the business and technical acumen dispensed by our columnists in each print issue and online really is …
- FCC launches probe of CenturyLink in wake of nationwide 911 outage
12.29.18 – NBCNews.com – That man was quick to pull an alarm on one of the city’s old-fashion, street-side alert boxes at 5:14 a.m. ET, officials said. That sent a Morse code to dispatchers, …
- Do You Have a Lunch-Break Policy for Technicians?
12.26.18 – CEPro – Integrators cannot force employees to work through lunch, nor can employees opt to waive their lunch break.
- Home Tech Pros Should Get Hyperlocal With Nextdoor.com, Other Neighborhood Networks
12.28.18 – CEPro – Security dealers and home-tech integrators should try Nextdoor.com to generate hyperlocal business, referrals and repeat customers in a very efficient manner.
- Wireless Networks Will Always be ‘Second Rate’ vs. Hardwired
12.26.18 – CEPro – Opinion: Wireless will never be the answer to network speed woes compared to hardwired, and and the experience of wireless will always be ‘second rate.’
Fire & EMS News
- FL: Refrigerator explodes inside family home in West Palm Beach
12.30.18 – WPTV.com – Their next door neighbor, Joshua Perez, rushed over to help after hearing the loud bang and smoke alarm. “Immediately I just see the smoke,” said Perez.
- IL: Cherryvale Mall Evacuated for Fire Alarm, Turns out to be False
12.24.18 – MyStateline.com – Mall officials tell Eyewitness News, the evacuations came after a fire alarm had gone off. Security then went to check it out, and found it to be a false
- IL: Rockford Fire Department responds to small business fire
12.25.18 – WREX-TV – When crews got there, they realized another crew had already been called to the strip mall for a water flow alarm. That’s when smoke was discovered in the back …
- IN: Putnam Scanner for December 29, 2018
12.29.18 – The Banner-Graphic – At 11:48 a.m. on Wednesday, GFD was dispatched to a fire alarm. Firefighters arrived at 11:54 to find that the alarm system was being …
- MA: Belmont fire log: Dec. 14-19
12.26.18 – Wicked Local – Upon investigation, personnel discovered a CO detector emitting a low battery alarm. Resident was advised to change the battery in detector. Sunday, Dec. 16.
- MA: Marion Police Log: Dec. 16-22
12.29.18 – Wicked Local – 1:04 p.m.: A fire alarm was reported at Tabor Academy. Wednesday, Dec. 19. 4:01 a.m.: A disturbance was reported on Wareham Road. 5 a.m.: …
- MD: Montgomery County home destroyed by fire day after Christmas
12.26.18 – WJLA – Investigators say they believe that there was a delay in the fire alarm system, due to the fire being in the advance stages upon arrival by fire officials. Upon arrival …
- NJ: Fire shuts down Italian bistro in Allendale
12.25.18 – NorthJersey.com – Allendale police officers and firefighters came shortly after 8:30 on Monday morning because of a reported smoke alarm. They found ..
- OK: OKC Fire Department: Smoke alarm saves 3 people
12.29.18 – KOKH FOX25 – Oklahoma City – The Oklahoma City Fire Department is crediting a smoke alarm with saving three people when a fire occurred at their home.
- OR: UPDATE: Homeowner, firefighter hospitalized in Oregon home fire
12.28.18 – WKOW – Dane County Communications tells 27 News a call about a fire alarm came in around 6:20 p.m. Thursday at a home.
- TX: Smoke alarm saves family from Christmas Eve fire in NW Abilene
12.24.18 – Big Country Homepage – Abilene, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – Thanks to a smoke alarm, three people were saved from a fire in northwest Abilene early Monday morning. According to the … alarm.
- VA: UPDATED: Electric Heater Causes Garage Fire in Reston Home This …
12.28.18 – Reston Now – The smoke alarm alerted the three people in the house, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue. Firefighters responded to the fire…
- WI: Police logs: Caller reports suspicious vehicle
12.29.18 – Wisconsin Rapids Tribune – RELATED: Police logs: Burnt popcorn sets off fire alarm … At 4:45 a.m. Friday, a fire alarm went off at the Wood County Jail.
- AL: Attempted robbery reported at Langtown Dollar General
12.28.18 – Moulton Advertiser – He said the sheriff’s department first received a call about an alarm sounding at the … “A second alarm went off about 30 minutes later, and we saw a guy at the …
- AZ: Williams 911: week of Dec. 26
12.25.18 – Williams News – Officers responded to an alarm on Route 66. • Officers assisted Coconino County Sheriff’s Office with finding a suspect on criminal damage…
- CA: 6 Residential Burglaries Reported In El Cerrito
12.28.18 – Patch.com – The victim was not home at the time but was alerted by their alarm company at 7:56 am that their alarm had been activated. Witnesses saw a male adult walking …
- CA: Police Arrest Man Suspected Of Burglarizing Petaluma Hardware Store
12.28.18 – SFGate – Petaluma (BCN) A suspected burglar was caught in the act this morning after he triggered an alarm at a Petaluma hardware store, according to police.
- CA: Suspected Burglar Caught In Act: Petaluma PD
12.29.18 – Patch.com – Petaluma, CA — A suspected burglar was caught in the act Friday morning after he triggered an alarm at a Petaluma hardware store, according to police.
- CT: After Argument With Wife, Man Tries To Break Into Businesses: PD
12.26.18 – Patch.com – 24 at 11:55 p.m. Milford Police Department responded to a burglary alarm at a business. The business owner was able to contact Milford ..
- CT: Milford police arrest a man attempting to break into a Bridgeport …
12.25.18 – WTNH.com – Milford, CT – The Milford Police Department responded to a burglary alarm at a Bridgeport Avenue store late Monday night. According to police …
- GA: Police release body camera footage of officer shooting homeowner’s …
12.24.18 – WSB Atlanta – It was also reported, individuals in the residence were unable to provide the required security code to cancel the alarm notification. Therefore, an officer was ..
- ID: Oregon man arrested in Bonneville County on multiple charges
12.29.18 – East Idaho News – The following is a news release from Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office. Bonneville County – Bonneville County Sheriff’s Deputies were called to an alarm …
- IL: Burr Ridge police blotter: Bridgeview man charged with DUI after …
12.29.18 – Chicago Tribune – 23 he responded to a burglar alarm at his business and saw someone had tried to force open the rear overhead door….
- KY: Police and fire reports for Dec. 22, 2018
12.24.18 – Winchester Sun – At 6:15 a.m. Friday, firefighters responded to an alarm sounding at 28 Buckner St. It was a false alarm….
- KY: Police investigating burglary at Lexington business
12.24.18 – WKYT – A next-door business owner arrived at around 9:20 a.m. and told police she didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Officers said the store alarm went off at 9:36 …
- KY: Woman accused of burglarizing local furniture store on Christmas Day
12.26.18 – The News Journal – On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at approximately 12:30 PM, Laurel County 911 received a call about an audible alarm going off at the Fitzpatrick’s Furniture …
- KY: Woman drives box truck into KY furniture store during burglary …
12.27.18 – WVLT.TV – A Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer was at his nearby home when he heard the alarm and went to check it out. He found a box truck that had been driven …
- MA: Police log: 12-27-18
12.27.18 – Daily Item – Accidental burglar alarm reported by the alarm company on Monday at 7:11 a.m. at Lynnfield High School. Officer reports all is …
- MI: K9 tracks burglary suspects for 2 miles before arrest
12.30.18 – MLive.com – 30, to a report of a commercial burglary alarm. Upon arrival, officers located a sign of forced entry but were unable to locate any …
- MN: Records published Dec. 26
12.26.18 – West Central Tribune – A business alarm in the 1600 block of First Street South was reported to Willmar Police shortly before 2:45 a.m. Monday, according to news release from the …
- MO: Nixa Police respond to overnight break-in at cell phone store
12.24.18 – KY3 – The call came in thanks to an alarm system. The alarm system was triggered a second time via motion detectors from inside the store while officers were on their .
- MT: One arrested after burglary at Jakers in Great Falls
12.25.18 – KXLH Helena News – Great Falls police responded to an alarm at Jakers along 10th Avenue South around 5:30 a.m. Officers found evidence of forced entry, according to the GFPD, …
- NC: Durham family loses home in Christmas Eve fire, looters steal dogs
12.25.18 – WTVD-TV – Just ashes, smoke, ashes, fire trucks,” said Lynette McLean, after her family of five rushed back home after the alarm company called them about the fire.
- NC: Holiday on patrol
12.26.18 – Shelby Star – … their Christmas morning fielding, from disturbance calls of a four-wheeler driving up and down a street to an unsecured door of a house setting off an alarm.
- OH: Conneaut Police Blotter
12.28.18 – The Star Beacon – A burglary alarm was heard at 2:22 a.m. Saturday. … A burglary alarm was reported at 10:26 a.m. …
- OH: Journal: Cambridge, Guernsey County law enforcement reports
12.28.18 – The Daily Jeffersonian – 6:11 p.m., alarm activation. 3:48 p.m. … 8:44 a.m., office alarm. … Officers located a delivery driver who forgot to disarm the alarm.
- OH: Police arrest man accused in a string of burglaries in Lakewood
12.24.18 – Cleveland 19 News – 18 – Police were called to Cleveland Vegan on Detroit Avenue regarding a burglary alarm that was activated. Police found that the glass on the front door was …
- OK: Burglar steals guns on Christmas, but is caught on camera
12.28.18 – The Lawton Constitution – … in reference to the store’s security system company advising of an alarm going off, indicating a glass break near the front door and gun counter …
- SC: Ogdensburg police blotter, Dec. 28
12.29.18 – North Country Now – Commercial burglar alarm at Madill School at 2:14 p.m. … Alarm activation at Tractor Supply store on Park Street at 3:37 a.m. False alarm.
- TN: Criminals stole Radnor Lake woman’s family heirlooms
12.25.18 – WZTV – It actually just happened to be during a power outage when their burglar alarm wasn’t working. “There are no words,” says Vaden. Christmas day hasn’t been …
- TX: Memorial Villages Police Department weekly report
12.24.18 – Chron.com – Officers responded to an incident after receiving a call from an alarm company about a burglary. The residents reported the burglary to the alarm company after …
- TX: Three arrested following Christmas Day burglary in Harlingen
12.25.18 – KGBT-TV – According to Harlingen Police, officers responded to an alarm call at Johnny’s True Value Hardware Store.
- TX: Two kids arrested after allegedly burglarizing book store
12.26.18 – Beaumont Enterprise – At approximately 5:46 a.m. police responded to a call in reference to an alarm the Lamar Barnes and Noble College book store …
- WI: Waupun Police Beat 12-28 to 12-25, 2018
12.27.18 – Beaver Dam Daily Citizen – Alarm — Friday at 5:31 a.m., police responded to an alarm. Drugs found — Friday at 11:41 a.m., police responded to drugs …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams