State & National News
- Private contractor tapped by Guillory lacks license to install …
12.23.20 – The gist: Crime Fighters of Louisiana, the private entity contracted to provide security cameras for Lafayette, was issued a cease-and-desist letter from Louisiana’s fire marshal for failing to secure a license required by state law.
- Study: 98% of AV Industry Misses In-Person Trade Events
12.23.20 – CEPro – A study from ISE finds that almost everybody in the AVIXA and CEDIA industries longs to attend trade show events again in person.
- Single-Family, MDU Housing Starts Maintain Strong Pace
12.22.20 – CEPro – Single-family housing starts are on track for 1.19 million units in 2020, a 10% increase and the highest since 2007
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Alarm Panels Need Urgent Update
12.23.20 – SSI – Panels that dial out seven digits must be re-programed to dial out a 10-digit number, which includes the area code plus telephone number.
- What to Know About the Latest Coronavirus Relief Bill
12.23.20- SSI – Mitch Reitman – Lawmakers approved a $900 billion pandemic aid bill that includes key provisions effecting alarm and systems integration businesses.
- If You’re Bored At Work, You’re Not the Only One—Even in AV
12.23.20 – CI – Anonymous survey of almost 2,000 workers shows two-thirds of them are bored daily at work, including about 70 percent in tech.
- Report: Overwhelming Majority of Security Dealers Offering More Than Pro Monitoring
12.23.20 – SSI – New research from Parks Associates reveals security dealers are offering more services such as video verification, PERS and cybersecurity to compete against the DIY trend.
- COVID-19 prevention in 2021 will drive better safety practices overall
12.22.20 – ISHN – Ryan Quiring – “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” Charles Dickens wrote those words more than 160 years ago, but they ring true today as we seek …
- Consider layers and properly insulated PPE to brave the cold
12.4.20 – ISHN – Employers have a responsibility to make sure their workers have access to warm, insulating winter gear when working outdoors in the winter or cold environments.
Fire & EMS News
- CA: Smoke Detectors Likely Saved Davis Family From Early …
12.23.20 – Davis – CBS13 – Firefighters are crediting smoke detectors with saving a Davis family’s lives after an early morning house fire on Wednesday. … detectors, which alerted them to the fire and most likely saved their lives.
- GA: Families lose everything in apartment fire two days before …
12.23.20 – Columbus, Ga. – WTVM – A massive fire just days before Christmas leaves many Columbus families without their belongings. Residents said thank goodness …
- OR: Portland father saves toddler, baby in apartment fire
12.27.20 – KATU – Portland, Ore. But the father is voicing relief now, after he saved his whole family in a dramatic rescue. … Alan Gebhart said when the alarm first went off, he saw smoke in the hallway, and planned to get out as fast as possible.
- WA: Smoke displaces 60 briefly on Christmas Eve …
12.27.20 – Port Angeles – Smoke from a Christmas Eve cooking fire temporarily displaced 60 residents of the four-story Lee Plaza in downtown Port Angeles for about an hour and required treatment for minor smoke irritation for the occupant involved in the fire.
- AZ: Police shoot, kill residential burglary suspect on 59th Lane ..
12.24.20 – Glendale Star – A burglary suspect died after being shot by a police officer on a residential street near Downtown Glendale early Tuesday, Dec. 22. According …
- CA: Arrests made in SF home invasion burglary …
12.23.20 – ABC7News – Surveillance cameras inside captured an incident at the Zhong family’s home … Lim about two arrested suspects, both 22-year-old men from San Francisco, … on parole, the other put on probation and apprehended in Atlanta, Georgia.
- CA: Two arrested after Visalia’s CosmoProf burglarized
12.23.20 -Visalia Times Delta – Two December burglaries are linked to one Visalia man, according to police. Around 1 a.m. Wednesday, officers respond …
- GA: Athens store burglarized for third time, possibly by same thief
12.22.20 – The On the Way Chevron convenience store was burglarized Sunday for a third time in recent weeks, and the owner said Tuesday the crime appears to be the work of the same man. … Police responded to the burglar alarm shortly after 5 a.m.
- IL: Another attempted break-in at West K Mart
12.22.20 – WGIL – On December 2nd, the front door of the West K Mart was shattered and three bottles of alcohol were taken. Just a few weeks before that, the west side window was broken and a pair of hookah pipes were taken from the business. The investigation is ongoing.
- KS: Burglary, Damage to Property
12.21.20 – KSAL – Police are investigating damage done at three different auto related businesses in Salina that …
- KS: Overland Park Micro Center burglary attempt ends in arrest …
12.26.20 -Shawnee Mission Post – Overland Park Micro Center burglary attempt ends in arrest after gunfire between suspect, police. … A 30-year-old Olathe man was arrested early Christmas morning after he allegedly broke into a closed business and later fired a gun at police officers who were chasing him.
- MA: Juvenile charged with breaking into Yarmouth convenience …
12.23.20 – Cape Cod Times – South Yarmouth – A juvenile faces multiple charges after allegedly breaking into a convenience store Tuesday night, according to a …
- NC: Hampton Police search for suspect wanted for stealing Yorkie …
12.23.20 – WTKR – Police say the suspect fled the store on foot with a Yorkie puppy from the kennel. The suspect is described as a unknown race male wearing a black face mask, a black jacket, black pants, black shoes, and black gloves.
- OH: Oh deer, wild intruder breaks homeowner’s glass door …
12.21.20 – Cleveland.com – Chagrin Falls, Ohio – Alarm, North Street: Responding to a house alarm Nov. 30 officers found a broken glass storm door with blood in the area of the broken door. Based on the evidence no one entered the home. Police determined that a deer likely ran into the door and broke it.
- PA: Alarm scares off would-be thief in Monroe
12.21.20 – TNOnline — State police at the Fern Ridge barracks said the alarm on a car sounded when an intruder broke into it, scaring off the would-be thief. The incident happened at 12:53 a.m.
- TX: Houston police officer shoots at man after alarm goes off at …
12.25.20 – ABC`3 – In a tweet around 10:30 a.m. Friday, HPD said the shooting … Houston police officer shoots at man after alarm goes off at business, HPD says.
- WA: 2 arrested in burglary related to Moorish sovereign citizens …
12.22.20 – Woodway, Wash. — Two suspects claiming to be affiliated with a Moorish National group were arrested late Friday after burglarizing a home in the town of Woodway, Edmonds police said.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald