Public Safety Updates
- MT: Fines could be levied for excessive false fire alarms in Great …
12.20.21 – Great Falls City Commissioners have approved two new ordinances that they hope will help Great Falls Fire Rescue. The first ordinance allows …
- Fire safety and compliance in unoccupied office buildings
12.9.21 – ISHN – Maintaining fire safety inspections and compliance is always a detailed process for any building manager, but the coronavirus pandemic has pushed many office buildings into uncharted territory.
- California police use high-tech crime-fighting software to catch …
12.23.21 – US Post – California police use high-tech crime-fighting tool to catch porch … packages of residence monitoring units to catch portico pirates.
- Hidden Camera Found in Fake Smoke Detector in Woman’s Apartment
12.21.21 – SSI – The device housed a motion-activated surveillance system with a memory card inside. The camera was pointed at the bed.
- Good customer service positively impacts security
12.22.21 – SIW – The operational requirements of cannabis dispensaries are remarkably similar to a number of other similar high-risk businesses
- 2022 Will Be Remembered as the Year the Electronic Security Industry…
As part of SSI’s 2022 Industry Forecast, we asked 14 security experts to predict what 2022 will be remembered for.
- Z-Wave Alliance Outlines Smart Home Outlook in 2022
12.22.21 – SSI – With greater interoperability comes the prospect for new or previously overlooked categories to enter the smart home ecosystem.
- Study: Educational, Healthcare Facilities Increasingly Rely on Video Surveillance
12.21.21 – SSI – Campus Safety’s 2021 Video Surveillance Survey reveals insights from campus end-users about their wants, challenges and more.
- SIA Guide Highlights Criticality of Audio and Intelligent Communications
12.20.21 – SSI – A new informational guide presented by a SIA working group, focuses on audio and communications for safety and security applications.
- Single and Multifamily Housing Starts Surge in November
12.23.21 – CEPro – Thanks to a strong demand for new construction, housing starts across the United States have rebounded after a downturn in October.
Fire & EMS News
- ME: False alarm empties school
12.20.21 – Mount Desert Islander – Bar Harbor – A malfunction in the fire alarm system at Mount Desert Island High School at around 8:45 Monday morning caused the evacuation …
- OR: Actuator and motor from heating system causes smoke, fire alarm at Lebanon school
12.20.21 – KTMR – Incident command upgraded to a second alarm and after further investigation, it was determined that an actuator and motor from the heating system malfunctioned causing smoke to accumulate in two classrooms and surrounding areas. …
- PA: Smoke alarm saves Williamsport woman’s life
12.20.21 – Sun Gazette – A woman who fell asleep in her West Third Street apartment was awakened just in time by a blaring smoke alarm late Sunday night when a fire erupted in her kitchen, city fire Platoon Chief Sam Aungst said. Unattended cooking has been ruled the cause of the accidental fire. …
- AR: NLRPD arrest Little Rock man after multiple church break-ins
12.20.21 – KARK – Ryshon Manuel, 23, of Little Rock was arrested on Dec. 9, after officers responded to a burglary alarm at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church …
- CA: Business owner frustrated after alleged burglar steals from Fresno store, attempts break-in at Clovis location.
12.20.21 – Fresno, CA – KSEE – A Central Valley business owner is asking the public’s help to find the man he says broke into his restaurant last week and tried again overnight.2 days ago
- CA: Woman arrested after breaking into church in Millville on Friday
12.24.21 – KRCR – 24-year-old Shayla Adkins, a Shasta County woman, was arrested by deputies on Friday for burglary and other charges after breaking into a …
- GA: Atlanta ‘Church’ bar falls victim to numerous burglaries …
12.22.21 – 11 Alive – Atlanta – A Christmas season story of crime in Atlanta is playing out at a Jesus-themed bar east of downtown, which has endured repeated burglaries over the last month.
- GA: Hinesville business owners search for answers after vandalism
12.24.21 – WSAV – At 4 a.m. on Tuesday, Amber Rockel, a Hinesville business owner, got a call that her store’s alarm was going off. When she arrived, she found gaping holes …
- GA: In planned heist, thieves destroy credit union ATM in Athens, make off with $100,000
12.20.21 – Athens Banner-Herald – The report showed the alarm company was notified that the credit union’s burglar alarm activated at 2:02 a.m., and that police were called 15 minutes later. Officers arrived within two minutes to discover the damaged ATM and the thieves gone, according to the report.
- MA: Springfield man sentenced for 2018 armed robbery …
12.21.20 – WWLP – A Springfield man that pleaded guilty to an armed robbery in 2018 was sentenced in Hampden Superior Court Monday.
- MI: Man Arrested For Break-In At Belle Tire In Hartland
12.21.21 – NewsBreak – A suspect wanted for a break-in at a local tire store was arrested following a short pursuit and is facing various charges.
- NH: Video shows burglary at Manchester pawn shop
12.23.21 – NewsBreak – Manchester, N.H. – No arrests have been made in connection with a burglary earlier this month in Manchester, police said. Manchester.
- NM: Man arrested, accused of stealing $200K worth of jewelry in …
12.21.21 -KOB4 – Santa Fe, N.M. – Police arrested a man accused of trying to steal over $200,000 worth of jewelry from a store near the Plaza early Monday morning. … The backpack had 101 pieces of stolen jewelry totaling $236,892. Officers investigating the case discovered Guzman had three active warrants for his arrest.
- NS: Halifax police charge 3 men in theft of firearms from Dartmouth …
12.24.21 – Global News – Police say as a result of the investigation, three men have been arrested. Alexander Paul MacDougall, 26, Tyrell Ramone Beals, 34, and Tremaine Daniel Colley, 39, have been charged with: Break and enter to steal firearms.
- PA: Police search for two men accused of breaking into tobacco …
12.23.21 – CBS 21 – Police in Lancaster County say they are searching for two men who they say broke into the Genuine Tobacco Store in Columbia and stole cash.
- TN: East Nashville pizza restaurant broken into, convicted burglar …
12.24.21 – Fox 17 – Metro Nashville police responded to a burglar alarm at BoomBozz Pizza Restaurant, 1003 Russell Street, at around 3:15 a.m. on Christmas Eve.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Riley Fields
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate –
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela