Public Safety Updates
- AR: Little Rock 911 Boss: ‘It’s Moving in the Right Direction’
12.19.18 – KARK – Tyrrell says 911 staff is not writing police anymore, they forward non-emergency reports to the department’s Telephone Reporting Unit and alarm companies will …
- CT: Alarm and inspection ordinances come back to New Milford public
12.22.18 – Danbury News Times- New Milford – Residents will have another chance to comment on proposed fines for false alarms and people who refuse or ignore the town’s notices to …
- GA: Federal judge dismisses SIAC lawsuit against Sandy Springs, Ga.
12.20.18 – SIW – Alarm industry, Metro Atlanta municipality remain at odds over alarm ordinance
- GA: Sandy Springs adds new penalties to false alarm ordinance
12.19.18 – Reporter Newspapers – The alarm industry’s lawsuit against the ordinance, which puts alarm companies, rather than individual customers, on the hook for false alarms, was recently …
- NJ: Springfield Sends Out Alarm Registration Reminder
12.23.18 – TAPinto.net – Registering an alarm system assists in crime prevention and enables the Police Department to maintain a database of emergency contacts in the event of an ..
- OR: City looks to fine property owners for repeated false burglary alarm calls
12.20.18 – KATU – Portland, OR – Each year, police respond to 13,000 alarm-triggered break-ins across Portland. Nearly all of them are false alarms – 97 percent to be exact.
- TN: False burglary alarm calls down across Memphis, police say
12.19.18 – FOX13 Memphis – Tougher enforcement and better education are helping to drive down the number of false burglar alarms, which is important for public safety in Memphis.
- WA: False alarms will result in monetary fine
12.22.18 – Renton Reporter-20 so the council could take a second look. Now the system and some wording has changed but the monetary penalties remain the same. A second false alarm ..
- Resideo to establish new HQ in Austin, Texas
12.12.18 – SIW – Facility to feature a software development and customer experience center
- ADT, West Corp. to Provide Enhanced Emergency Response for 7M Customers
12.19.18 – SSI – ADT will use West Corp.’s emergency response link to ensure homes and businesses monitored by ADT benefit from the most accurate location data available.
- Canary Slapped With Class-Action Lawsuit Over Monitoring Fee
12.21.18 – CEPro – Smart home camera company Canary was hit with a class-action lawsuit after it began charging a monthly fee for features that were originally free.
- Alarm.com extends win streak in patent fight with smart home rival Vivint
12.20.18 – Reuters – A federal appeals court on Thursday gave smart home company Alarm.com Inc a major boost in its effort to fend off patent infringement claims brought by rival …
- Per Mar Acquires Pair of Security Companies From Iverify
12.22.18 – Security Sales & Integration – … homes and businesses including security officer services, smart home automation, burglar and fire alarms, access control, security cameras, alarm monitoring, …
|Tx HB 538
|Murphy, Jim(R) – Relating to the provision of alarm system services by certain municipalities.||History|
State & National News
- How to hire a home security alarm company
12.18.18 – KTNV Las Vegas – Nothing is more frustrating than poor customer service. A valley couple recently ran into an issue with their home security company.
- Does Amazon Want to Use Ring Doorbell Cams to Build a ‘Suspicious Persons’ Database?
12.19.18 – SSI – Ring CEO Jamie Siminoff has filed a patent that would allow residents to build a “suspicious persons” database that can be sent to police.
- Is It Illegal to Install a ‘Hidden’ Smart Speaker?
12.18.18 – CEPro – Certain state laws prohibit audio recording in covert applications, so can you disguise an Amazon Echo or Google Home?
- Police using creative tactics to nab ‘porch pirates’
12.20.18 – RouteFifty – As Americans turn more and more to online shopping, many communities have seen increases in package thefts.
- The Minut Point home alarm calls 911 for you
12.20.18 – CNET – Minut launched the Point security device on crowdfunding site Kickstarter calling it “the friendly home alarm.” We haven’t tested out the Point, but it claims to be …
- Don’t Let Alarms Ruin Your Christmas
12.20.18 – Reading Life – Reading Council is urging residents going away for Christmas to ensure they check their alarms and set up a trusted key holder – or potentially face a hefty …
- Officer Defends Decision to Point Gun at Alarm Salesman
12.22.18 – MyNewsLA.com- When Segura told De Sylva he had a state-issued permit to sell the alarm systems, the officer told him to come back and show the document to him, the suit …
- Why You Should Utilize Internet-Based Alarm Monitoring Rather Than …
12.18.18 – Security Sales & Integration – No problem, the security industry was well into the cellular transition, with accommodations from the alarm panel (cell communicators), to the cell tower, to the …
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Home Networks
12.18.18 – CEPro – According to CTA members, poor documentation, not using strong passwords, and bad wiring are some of the biggest mistakes to avoid during home network installs.
- Former ADT CEO: $10/Month, No-Term Alarm Contracts Sold Online Are Future
12.21.18 – CEPRo – Former ADT CEO Tim Whall says the future of smart home security is $10 per month, no-term monitoring contracts sold online to clients. Residential dealers need to transition to higher upfront equipment fees.
- Business Meals Are Still 50% Deductible, IRS Says
- 12.20.18 – CEPro – According to the IRS, business entertainment expenses will still be deductible, but the meal must be on a separate receipt in order to receive a deduction.
- Nondisclosure and Noncompete Policies: What You Need to Know
12.20.18 – SSI – Legal expert Ken Kirschenbaum offers tips to help you traverse the tricky area of nondisclosure and noncompete policies.
Fire & EMS News
- CT: Shelton Fire Log: Dec. 10-15
12.21.18 – Shelton Herald – #4 and the Echo Hose Co. #1 responded to CCL Label Company for a fire alarm activation. There was no fire. A rescue pumper responded.
- GA: Furniture store catches fire
12.23.18 – Valdosta Daily Times – Valdosta – A furniture store caught fire in downtown Saturday night. Valdosta Fire Department responded to a two alarm fire at Valdosta Furniture and …
- IL: SIREN REPORT
12.19.18 – Journal Gazette and Times-Courier – Firefighters responded to a fire alarm set off by “waterflow” at 6:24 p.m. Monday at the Prairie Pavilion I building on the Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center …
- IL: SIREN REPORT
12.20.18 – Journal Gazette and Times-Courier – Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at 9:40 a.m. Thursday at Eastern Illinois University’s Lantz Arena. The alarm was set by plastic in the microwave.
- MA: Marion Police Log: Dec. 9-15
12.23.18 – Wicked Local – 12:22 a.m.: A fire alarm was reported on Wareham Road. 11 a.m.: An animal complaint was reported. 11:24 a.m.: Past ..
- MA: Police log: 12-18-18
12.17.18 – Daily Item – Officer reports initial incident occurred in Wakefield. The Wakefield Police Department will handle. Report of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding …
- MA: Police/Fire: Bearded officers raise $4100 for prostate cancer research
12.22.18 – Gloucester Daily Times – 5:38 a.m.: A fire alarm activated. The alarm proved to have been set off by a faulty detector. 10:11 a.m.: The Fire Department’s ambulance …
- ME: Westbrook family says carbon monoxide detectors ‘saved our lives’
12.19.18 – NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ – “I thought we were overkill with all the alarms and detectors in our house, but we weren’t. It was real,” said Morse. “My kids might have been real sick or we all …
- MN: Brainerd Fire Department responds to calls
12.17.18 – Brainerd Dispatch – At 6:59 a.m. firefighters were called to a fire alarm that turned out to be a false alarm. • At 10:33 a.m. firefighters were called to …
- MN: Fire alarm goes off at Woodland
12.21.18 – Brainerd Dispatch – The Brainerd Fire Department was called at 9:50 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, to Woodland Good Samaritan for a fire alarm. Firefighters were …
- MO: Dramatic video shows rescue from burning Ellisville home
12.17.18 – fox2now.com – A fire alarm can be heard in the background. In the video, a woman answers the door when officers arrived. She says, “My husband is in the bedroom.”.
- NH: Fire Mutual Aid log, Dec. 22, 2018
12.23.18 – The Keene Sentinel – 1:22 a.m., Keene Fire Department, fire alarm. 2:08 a.m., Keene … 8:41 a.m., Peterborough Fire Department, fire alarm.
- NV: Unattended candle causes fire in Henderson apartment
12.17.18 – FOX5 Las Vegas – … firefighters were called at 3:30 a.m. in regards to a “water flow alarm.”.
- PA: Electrical problem triggers smoke alarm at Slatington church
12.17.18 – WFMZ Allentown – Slatington, Pa. – Several fire companies were called to a church in Lehigh County Sunday. The fire chief says the fire alarm went off at St. John’s Lutheran …
- SC: Local pizza restaurant struck by gunfire
12.18.18 – WMBF – Emergency crews responded to the scene after receiving a call for a fire alarm, according to Battalion Chief Brian Archibald with Horry County Fire Rescue.
- AL: Pick-up truck taken from Montgomery business, police searching for …
12.17.18 – Montgomery Advertiser – 1 about 12:30 a.m. after the business’ alarm sounded. When the officers arrived, they found the front gate had been forced open, and after making contact with .
- AZ: Williams 911: week of Dec. 19
12.19.18 – Williams News – Officers responded to an alarm …
- CA: Man arrested after alleged burglary at Port Hueneme RV lot
12.22.18 – Ventura County Star – … a.m. when the Port Hueneme Police Department responded to the Surfside Village RV lot regarding a burglary motion alarm.
- CA: Sheriff’s Deputies Arrest Vehicle Burglary Suspect
12.18.18 – Santa Barbara Edhat – Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office. At approximately 5:30 a.m., December 16, 2018, a Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Deputy patrolling in the area of …
- CT: Alarm System Saves Family From an Attempted Home Invasion and …
12.20.18 – NBC Connecticut – A family in Covina received an unexpected visit at home Wednesday that could’ve taken a completely tragic turn had it not been for their alarm system and a …
- CT: Teens caught after stealing two cars from Saybrook Ford
12.17.18 – FOX 61 – The vandalism and stolen car activity revved up at around 1 a.m., at Old Saybrook Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram dealership with a glass break alarm sounding.
- FL: Family’s dog shot by JSO officer investigating alarm, report states
12.20.18 – WJXT News4JAX – A Westside family’s 11-year-old pit bull was fatally shot by an officer with the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, who was investigating a home after its burglary alarm …
- IA: Police investigate burglary to downtown business
12.17.18 – Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier – Officers were called to an alarm at Style Avenue around 4:20 a.m. Saturday and found glass on the front door had been broken. A laptop …
- IA: Woman arrested after hitting panic alarm during theft
12.21.18 – OurQuadCities – A woman was arrested by the Bettendorf Police Department after a theft occurred at the Waterfront Deli for felony burglary in the 3rd degree and felony criminal …
- IL: Man Arrested After Breaking Into Riverside Office: Cops
12.20.18 – Patch.com – 19, a burglar alarm was activated at … an administrative office building recently purchased by Riverside School District 96. A Riverside …
- KS: Burglars steal $90000 Jeep from dealership
12.17.18 – Salina Post – Salina Police Captain Paul Forrester said Monday that police were called to Marshall Motors at about 4:10 a.m. Monday after an alarm was …
- KY: Police investigating burglary at Southland Drive business
12.23.18 – WKYT – Officers say someone used a sledgehammer to smash out the front window of the Southland Barber Shop, setting off the store’s alarm. The suspect then pried ..
- MA: Concord police log, Nov. 25 to Dec. 15
12.22.18 – Wicked Local – The occupant was waiting to visit the location. 7:38 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at Concord Country Club golf pro shop.
- MO: Robbers crash stolen truck into East St. Louis store, take off with clothes
12.23.18 – KMOV.com – Officers were not contacted by the alarm company until the robbers were gone. The truck will be removed and the front of the building will be secured. Detectives …
- NY: Public Safety Log (Dec. 18)
12.18.18 – Albany Democrat Herald – At 4:09 a.m. on Sunday, an officer responded to a panic alarm at Umpqua Bank, where he discovered a man standing outside the building by …
- OH: Police Calls | Hole found in building’s wall, wires to alarm system cut
12.19.18 – Mansfield News Journal – Mansfield – Officers were dispatched to the area because an alarm went off Wednesday at 2:03 a.m. Upon arrival, the front door …
- OH: Thief smashes into Sammy’s Market in Dayton, grabs lottery tickets
12.17.18 – Dayton Daily News – A thief smashed out a glass door Sunday morning to break into Sammy’s Market in Dayton. Dayton police were called around 1:30 a.m. to an alarm at the …
- TN: Knoxville police officer who was shot at shares firsthand experience …
12.17.18 – WATE 6 On Your Side – Prosecutors said on July 17 around 2:30 a.m., Ray was on patrol when he heard an alarm coming from Time Out Deli. He saw Ryan …
- TX: 7 suspects steal multiple weapons from Fort Bend Co. gun store
12.21.18 – KTRK-TV – The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s office responded to an alarm at the Fountain Firearms Investments Inc. around 4 a.m..
- TX: Multiple stolen weapons missing after smash-and-grab at Fort Bend …
12.22.18 – KTRK-TV – The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s office responded to an alarm at the Fountain Firearms Investments Inc. around 4 a.m..
- UT: Burglary suspects lead cops on two car chases in Park City, both end …
12.23.18 – KUTV 2News – According to the Park City Police Department watch log, officers were dispatched to an alarm at a residence.
- VA: Police investigating rash of commercial burglaries in Dale City, Lake …
12.17.18 – Inside NoVA – Alarm systems notified police, who arrived to find the front glass doors of the businesses shattered, said Prince William County police spokesman Nathan Probus …
- WI: News briefs for Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2018
12.19.18 – Kenosha News – In that incident, the would-be robber walked into the station just before 7 p.m., but fled when an alarm went off. Monday’s incident was the second time …
- WI: Pierce County Sheriff’s blotter: Domestic incidents
12.23.18 – Pierce County Herald – A building’s alarm went off for the fourth time in six months, prompting Pierce County law enforcement to cite the property owners at 7:13 a.m. Dec. 13 at N7480 …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams