Public Safety Updates
- OH: Mansfield’s alarm administrator quits over disagreement with …
12.7.20 – Mansfield – The city’s alarm administrator quit his position Friday after Mayor Tim Theaker pulled legislation from council’s docket that would have allowed Mansfield to begin fining security companies for false alarms. … “There’s a lot of really hefty fines in that legislation,” he explained.
State & National News
- Dish Settles Telemarketing Suit for $210 Million
12.4.20 – Multichannel News – Dish Network has agreed to settle an 11-year-old lawsuit that found that the satellite TV service provider made millions of illegal telemarketing calls to potential customers in four states — California, North Carolina, Ohio and Illinois — for $210 million.
- Top 25 most dangerous jobs in the United States
Roofers, power lineman, construction jobs are among the most dangerous jobs in the United States based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries and studied by AdvisorSmith.
- Local calls will require area code due to National Suicide …
12.11.20 – KULR – Helena, Mont. – On July 16, 2020, the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”) approved the designation of 988 as the new, …
- Tips on Improving Your Company’s Crisis Management Plan
12.11.20 – CI -The need for crisis management won’t go away when the pandemic does so make sure your plan is one that actually improves things.
- Could We See the Emergence of Hybrid AV Integrators?
12.11.20 – CI – Commercial integrators find themselves doing more residential work to help employees meet AV needs as they continue working from home.
- Big Idea of the Month: Don’t Be Reactive, Think Ahead and Be Proactive
12.11.20 – SSI – Bates Security’s Jeremy Bates shares how he’s running his business during one of the most disruptive periods the security industry has ever known.
- Pet waste removal company settles pregnancy bias claim in …
12.8.20 – The Daily Record – … will pay former employee $40000 to settle a lawsuit alleging it fired the woman from its Rockville facility because she was pregnant. … DoodyCalls Inc. admitted no wrongdoing in agreeing to settle with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which filed the suit last year in …https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USEEOC/bulletins/2b00f48
- How to safely prepare on-site workers for tough weather conditions
12.4.20 – ISHN – Extreme weather can present a major challenge for companies that make worksite safety a top priority. Conditions like lightning, strong winds and flooding can make good safety practices much harder to follow.
Fire & EMS News
- MA: Plymouth family evacuated after dangerous levels of carbon …
12.8.20 – Boston Globe – Plymouth family evacuated after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide inside home. A Plymouth family was evacuated from their home Tuesday after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide built up inside from a malfunctioning furnace in their basement, Plymouth fire officials said.
- TX – 2-alarm fire rips through Spicewood home, security system …
12.11.20 – KXAN – Spicewood, Texas – A 2-alarm fire burned a home Friday in Spicewood, and the homeowner first found out about it via its home security system, authorities said.
- AL: Mentone Burglary Foiled by Swift Response from Law …
12.9.20 – WEIS – FT Payne, AL – On Monday, December 7th, a homeowner called 9-1-1 to report their home alarm system going off.
- CA: Man Suspected Of Burglarizing Gold Rush-Era Mine Museum …
12.10.20 – Amador County (CBS13) – A man was arrested early Thursday morning after allegedly breaking into a Gold Rush-era mining museum in …
- CA: Police: 17-year-old arrested for Kirk’s Jewelry burglary in …
12.11.20 – Action News Now – Early Saturday morning police responded to a burglar alarm at Kirk’s and discovered a suspect inside of the business. The suspect was 17 years old, according to Chico police, and was taken to the Butte County Juvenile Hall after being arrested.
- CA: Santa Monica Police Arrest Suspect in Attempted Bank Robbery
12.10.20 – Santa Monica Lookout – December 10, 2020 — Santa Monica police officers on Tuesday arrested an Indiana man who attempted to hold up the Wells Fargo Bank in …
- CT: Police: ATM stolen from New London store
12.7.20 – Connecticut Post – An ATM was stolen from a local store around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, according to police.
- CT: Police: Commercial burglary reported in Byram
12.7.20 – Greenwich Time – Greenwich – Officers investigated a commercial burglary reported in the Byram section of town early Sunday morning, police said Monday. Officers responded to an active alarm and found the premises had been entered, according to police.
- GA: Another Athens beauty supply store burglarized; hair pieces …
12.10.20 – Athens Banner Herald – Burglar breaks into Athens store, steals beauty supplies, hair pieces. For the second time in less than a month, a burglar struck at an Athens store that specializes in hairpieces and beauty supplies. The latest burglary occurred about 4:20 a.m.
- MI: 2 juveniles burglarized Lapeer County store of alcohol, vape …
12.12.20 – Mlive – 2 juveniles burglarized Lapeer County store of alcohol, vape products, deputies say. North Branch Twp, MI – Deputies in Lapeer County and their canine have apprehended two minors after they allegedly broke into a convenience store and stole booze.
- MI: Grand Rapids police investigating several overnight cell …
12.9.20 – Grand Rapids, Mich. – Grand Rapids police are investigating several cell phone store break-ins from early Wednesday morning that they believe are related. Officers responded about 2:40 a.m. to an alarm at Genius Phone Repair. They do not know what was taken.
- MI: Youths apprehended after reported burglary of gas station in …
12.10.20 – The County Press – Two juveniles were apprehended and released to their parents while the Lapeer County Prosecutor’s Office works to determine whether criminal charges will be pursued against them following an early Thursday morning burglary at the Whistle Stop gas station on M-90 in North Branch Township.
- MO: Thieves use SUV to break into Blue Springs gun shop
12.8.20 – KCTV – Thieves backed a SUV through the front of HDS Firearms on Main Street in Blue Springs during the early morning hours Tuesday.
- NC: Brisk bandit in and out of pharmacy in less than 60 seconds
12.8.20 – WITN – Snow Hill police say a man managed to jimmy the lock on a side door at Realo Drugs.
- NC: Creedmoor police seek tips about break-in suspects …
12.10.20 – Daily Dispatch – Creedmoor — Police are offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of someone who broke into a home.
- OR: Sheriff: Father, son caught after attempting to flee scene of …
12.11.20 – KPTV – Milwaukie, OR – A father and son were arrested early Tuesday morning following a burglary in Milwaukie, according to the …
- OR: Sheriff: Two women arrested at Clackamas Promenade …
12.11.20 – KPTV – Sheriff: Two women arrested at Clackamas Promenade connected to theft ring in Beaverton, Salem, Tigard.
- RI: Warwick police investigating Oakland Beach marijuana grow
12.10.20 – Providence Journal — Firefighters responded to the former J.O.N.A.H. Center at 830 Oakland Beach Ave. around 8 a.m. Friday for a fire alarm, said Police Detective Capt. Ryan Sornberger. Once there they discovered the marijuana grow and contacted police
- TX: Amarillo police arrest man for breaking into 2 businesses …
12.11.20 – KFDA – Amarillo police arrested a man early this morning for charges related to … man for breaking into 2 businesses, evading arrest early this morning …
- WI: Janesville police investigate burglary at business …
12.7.20 – Beloit Daily News – Janesville – The Janesville Police Department is seeking two suspects in a burglary to a business that occurred Friday … Janesville police investigate burglary at business … The other suspect was 5 feet, 9 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds. … Beloit man arrested after concealing handgun at bar …
- WI: Recognize them? Mount Pleasant police seek gas station …
12.7.20 – FOX6 News – Mount Pleasant, Wis. – The Mount Pleasant Police Department is seeking assistance from anyone who may have additional information regarding a robbery that occurred Sunday, Nov. 22 at the Hometown Gas Station.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Alberto Hook
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Kerri McDonald