Public Safety Updates
- GA: Salesman At Your Door May Be Burglar: Gwinnett Police – Patch
10.28.19 – Patch – Lawrenceville, GA – The Gwinnett County police Department is warning residents to be on the lookout for burglars posing as door-to-door salesmen. They’re urging everyone to call them if they spot a door-to-door solicitor who lacks a proper, county-issued ID
- SIAC Quells Barbarians at the Alarm Industry Gate – Security …
10.31.19 – SSI – The Security Industry Alarm Coalition plays an important part in protecting the industry from harmful ordinances. Here’s how.
- TMA CS-V-01 standard reopens for comments Nov. 1
10.29.19 – SIW – McLean, Va. – The Monitoring Association [TMA] will reopen a review of the TMA CS-V-O1 standard, Alarm Confirmation, …
- Anixter to Be Acquired for $3.8B by Private Equity Firm
10.31.19 – SSI – Anixter will become a private company following the all-cash transaction, which is expected to close by the end of the first quarter of 2020.
- Colorado security company says employees were wrongfully …
11.2.19 – KDVR – Coalfire employees Justin Wynn and Gary Demercurio where arrested and charged with third-degree burglary. Tom Bisignano is a state senator from Iowa. He’s outraged the state’s judicial branch would pay a company to break into a county building
- Home Automation Deep Dive: New Findings on Pricing, DIY, Market Challenges & More
11.1.19 – SSI’s 2019 Home Automation Deep Dive, conducted in partnership with Parks Associates, reveals dealers are finding 10% growth in the home, helped in part by smart devices.
- 6 Ways Intercoms Are Changing How Security Is Viewed
10.30.19 – SSI: Here are six ways today’s intercoms are improving security and communications for users, and providing business prospects for security pros.
State & National News
- TestIT: How Fast is Your Broadband
11.1.19 – NACO – Accurate connectivity data is the foundation for investments in broadband infrastructure. Unfortunately, connectivity data provided to the Federal Communications Commission is often inaccurate and inflated – leaving many rural communities overlooked and disconnected.
- Will more states adopt privacy laws in 2020?
11.1.19 – Governing – As a new year approaches, myriad states are looking to adopt their own, distinct privacy laws — a fact that leaves many in the business and technology industries anxious about the road ahead. NCSL resources on data privacy legislation.
- 911 dispatchers say system puts police, public at risk
11.1.19 – WATE – Some 911 dispatchers are sounding the alarm about a system they say is putting lives in danger. It’s a dispatch program used in Westmoreland ..
- 6 Ways Intercoms Are Changing How Security Is Viewed
10.30.19 – SSI – here are six ways today’s intercoms are improving security and communications for users, and providing business prospects for security pros.
- Home security and entertainment is converging
10.29.19 – SSN – With the ever-increasing access to smart technologies, consumers are expecting more than ever from them. This of course includes home security; homeowners expect an easy-to-use and reliable security system – one that tells them when the kids are home and when the package has been delivered.
- Why Integrators Should Be Utilizing Service & Maintenance Contracts
10.28.19 – SSI – When building a service and maintenance program, it’s important that integrators consider the needs of their customers.
- DIY Tops Pro Systems in 2019 J.D. Power Home Security Satisfaction Study
10.29.19 – SSI – The home security satisfaction survey reveals that pro install customers are primarily driven by reputation while DIY customers are more interested in costs when it comes to decision making.
- Why Your Home Theaters Probably Stink
10.31.19 – CEPro – Integrators’ home theater offerings have devolved into ‘good enough’ solutions for clients. Here’s how to reverse that trend.
- How to Build Company Equity Beyond a Recurring Revenue Model
10.31.19 – SSI – In his Alarm Exchange newsletter, Ken Kirschenbaum addresses a reader’s question if certain types of recurring revenue enhance the company’s residual value.
Fire & EMS News
- AL: Mobile Fire-Rescue: Smoke alarm saved woman from house fire
10.28.19 – NBC15 – Mobile Fire-Rescue crews were called to a house fire around 9:05 a. m. Monday. When the crews arrived on …
- MD: Fire marshal credits smoke alarms for saving 5 lives | Local …
10.28.19 – Star Democrat – Trappe — While the state fire marshal has not yet determined the cause of an early morning fire on Oct. 26 that destroyed a house near …
- ME: Family loses everything after home burns down in Fort Fairfield
11.3.19 – News Center Maine – Fort Fairfield, Maine – A family from Fort Fairfield has lost everything after a devastating house fire occurred early Saturday morning.
- WA: 1 injured as stove catches fire inside Olympia apartment
10.28.19 – KOMO – Olympia, Wash. – One person was injured when their stove caught fire inside their apartment Sunday evening. It was just after 5:30 p. m. …
- AK: Vandals break in, cause $2500 damage at Chinook Elementary
11.1.19 – KTVA – Three people broke into Chinook Elementary School early Halloween morning and sprayed a fire extinguisher inside, according to the Anchorage Police Department. … Once security arrived, the group ran away from the scene. Police are not releasing further information on the vandals at …
- AL: Woman hit by MPD police cruiser believes officer at fault …
11.1.19 – Fox 10 – Alright – here’s a question for every driver – what do you do if you hear police sirens while on the road? – A local woman says she had little.
- CA: Children’s Center will double its security cameras
11.3.19 – Daily Titan – About 15 new security cameras will be installed at the Cal State Fullerton Children’s Center in January 2020, which is more than double the …
- CA: Chico police arrest night-time prowler – Action News Now
11.1.19 – Action News Now – Chico police arrested a man for prowling at Pick and Pull early Thursday morning
- CA: Police surround North Long Beach Target, but burglars escape
10.28.19 – Long Beach Post – SWAT officers were called to a burglary at a Target store overnight, but it turned out the suspects had fled before police
- CT: Wayside Inn resident charged after setting off false alarm …
10.30.19 – The Westerly Sun – 17 hours ago – A resident of the Wayside Inn is facing charges after the police said he defied a warning by emergency dispatchers and blew smoke at a fire detection system in order to set it off. Stonington police said Robert Pacheco, 60, of 46 Liberty St., was charged Tuesday …
- IL: Sex Offender Charged After Setting Off Subway Burglar Alarm …
10.30.19 – Patch – Tinley Park police say an employee at the Subway on 191st Street did not inform authorities of his current address or employment. … Ronald R. Atkinson, 20, of Riverdale was charged on Oct. 20 with failure to register change of employment and failure to renew annual registration.
- IL: Alarm scares off armed robber at Crystal Lake gas station
11.2.19 – Chicago Sun Times – Police in the north suburbs are searching for a woman who attempted to rob a Crystal Lake gas station. A woman in her 20s entered the Mobil gas station Thursday and flashed a handgun while demanding money from the cashier, Crystal Lake police said in a statement. She left the store …
- IN: Caught on camera: East side renovation project hit by burglars …
11.1.19 – Fox 59 – Renovation projects may be a growing trend in Indy, but they can be a golden opportunity for thieves. One east side home has been hit three times in four months. … Malcolm Kent is tired of seeing his renovation project be targeted. … He has since installed cameras and …
- ME: Burglary at Elsmere BBQ possibly linked to 15 other business …
11.2.19 – News Center Maine – Burglary at Elsmere BBQ possibly linked to 15 other business break-ins in Maine. Police in Portland, Westbrook and South Portland are ..
- MI: Safes and Guns Unlimited break-in: West Bloomfield schools …
10.31.19 – Detroit Free Press – West Bloomfield Schools added beefed up police patrols at several buildings today after a gun store break-in raised security concerns. Keego Harbor Police said two people used a sledge hammer to smash their way into the Safes and Guns Unlimited store just north of Commerce Road about 3:30 a.m.
- MI: Police officers clear party store after alarm triggered …
11.2.19 – Press & Guide – The owner of Mike’s Party Store asked police officers to check his store for intruders just before
- NC: One robbery, one attempt in Burlington – News – The Times …
10.29.19 – Times News – Officers responded at 2:04 a.m. to Speedway in reference to a breaking and entering in progress. … The robber entered using a piece of concrete to break a window, removed several packs of cigarettes, then fled back out through the broken window. He was last seen …
11.1.19 – NBC Philadelphia – Police are searching for three men who they say were wearing hockey masks similar to the one worn by “Friday the 13th” villian Jason Voorhees when they stole money from a gas station store in Westampton Township, New Jersey. Police also say the men may have been involved in another theft earlier this month.
- PA: Allentown police say officers nabbed pair in the middle of …
10.29.19WFMZ – Allentown, Pa. – Authorities allege a pair of teens went on a mini burglary spree early Monday morning on the east side of Allentown.
- OK: Burglars hit two marijuana dispensaries in Edmond; suspects …
11.2.19 – KFOR – The Peak Dispensary and The Cannabis Refinery Dispensary were both hit by burglars early Thursday morning, according to an Edmond Police Department news release. Edmond police were alerted at 3:30 a.m. to a burglary alarm at Peak Dispensary.
- ON: Convenience store clerk escapes attempted robbery suspects …
10.29.19 – Orangeville Banner – At about 9 p.m. on Monday (Oct. 28), police responded to an alarm call at Broadway Convenience after three males entered the store.
- MI: Police officers clear party store after alarm triggered …
11.2.19 – Press & Guide – The owner of Mike’s Party Store asked police officers to check his store for intruders just before …
- TX: Tattoo helps police link local burglar to recent crimes
11.2.19 – KWTX- Hewitt police say they’ve bagged a burglar who tried to steal from two businesses in less than two weeks. “We’ve identified him, and we’ve got him, and he’s now in custody,” said Chief Jim Devlin. Gregory Shanks, 57, has been charged with burglary of a building and evading arrest.
- TX: Video: Texas driver leads police on high-speed chase during …
11.2.19 – Houston (KTRK) – A Texas driver led police on a high-speed chase during rush hour Friday morning. The man, who was not identified, was wanted in an ATM burglary. Harris County deputies were responding to an alarm for the theft when the suspect took off.
- TX: WATCH: Police release video of San Marcos arrest in which …
11.2.19 – KVUE – The City said Costly was tased to “avoid any further conflict and deescalate the scene.” … WATCH: Police release video of San Marcos arrest in which man … as police were attempting to disperse a party on Halloween night.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams