Public Safety Updates
- FL: Panama City Beach Florida to possibly issue fines for false …
10.29.20 – News Herald – Panama City Beach to possibly fine businesses and residents for false alarms. … To cut down on that problem, the Panama City Beach City Council approved the first of two readings of a new ordinance that would let the city fine businesses and residents whose alarm systems are falsely triggered.
- GA: City Council wrap-up of the Oct. 27 virtual meeting …
10.28.20 – Patch – Brookhaven, GA – The Council unanimously approved the amendment of Article 2 of Chapter 11 of the Code of Ordinances (Regulation of Alarm Systems) to make text changes, for false alarms, provide an effective date and other purposes. The Council unanimously approved changes to the civil penalties for false alarms.
- PA: West Deer approves $100 fine to combat false alarms …
10.26.20 – Trib Live – West Deer residents and businesses will now have to pay $100 each time their alarms accidentally go off three or more times per year.
State & National News
- ASAP Is Moving From Dedicated Server Hardware to the Cloud — Here’s What It Means
10.28.20 – SSI – Celia Besore – While ASAP already provides tremendous value, a technology refresh is underway to lay the foundation for future innovation that will add even more value to the
- FCC Takes Another Step away from Net Neutrality Rules
10.27.20 – CEI – After 15 years of unrelenting regulation and litigation, the days of net neutrality as a live policy issue in Washington may be numbered.
- What You Need to Know About the New Smoke Detector Standards
10.22.20 – SDM – New UL smoke detector requirements scheduled to go into effect next year are designed to enhance the ability to detect different types of fires, and minimize nuisance alarms
- 13 ‘Horrorific’ Wiring Jobs That Will Haunt Integrators’ Dreams
10.29.20 – CEPro – These nightmare-inducing photos are not for the faint of heart. Click to the end of the slideshow at your own risk!
- 3G Sunset Challenges, Opportunities & Choices
10.28.20 – SSI – Peter Giacalone – With this most recent evolution to 4G, it is without question that the entire industry must engage and focus on proactively installing 4G systems and upgrading all existing previous generation cellular systems.
- The new normal impacts security service providers and clients …
10.30.20 – SIW – The ravages of COVID-19 mandate that systems integrators protect their own business operations while securing customers. … The new normal impacts security service providers and clients equally. The ravages of COVID-19 …
- The growing value of video in cannabis security operations
10.30.20 – SIW – Since compliance requirements vary by state, cannabis businesses must evaluate their individual security needs and processes
Fire & EMS News
- NY: Syracuse woman in her 30s found unconscious in apartment …
10.26.20 – News Break – Syracuse, N.Y. – Syracuse firefighters found a woman unconscious Sunday night after neighbors called 911 to say they heard a smoke detector beeping in a …
- CT: Southbury business employee interrupts attempted burglary …
10.26.20 – News Times – The burglary suspect “calmly left the building” and took off in a silver Hyundai Sonata, according to authorities. Police said nothing had been …
- GA: SPD arrests 3 teens in attempted burglary of gun store …
10.26.20 – (WSAV) – The Savannah Police Department (SPD) Southside Precinct arrested three juveniles who attempted to burglarize a gun store.
- IL: Wisconsin Man Charged with Burglary of Niles Bowling Alley …
10.30.20 – NBC- Chicago – Gerardo Colon, 48, is charged with a felony count of burglary, Niles police said in a statement. Just after 6 a.m., Colon was allegedly found where a glass door had been broken out, police said.
- MI: Man charged for breaking into, stealing display phones from …
1030.20 – Alpena County, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) – Man charged for breaking into, stealing display phones from Alpena Verizon store. — A northern Michigan man has …
- NC: 2 suspects wearing ‘Halloween-type masks’ wanted in …
10.30.20 – WLOS – Asheville police need help to identify two suspects in an armed robbery. It happened around 9:45 p. m. on …
- NE: GI police investigate crimes committed at fast-food restaurants
10.26.20 – NTV – One suspect was found to commit two crimes following a report of a burglary at a Taco Bell drive-thru, according to Grand Island Police …
- SC: Two Greenwood men face armed robbery charges | Crime …
10.28.20 – index Journal – Two Greenwood men are facing charges after police investigated a reported armed robbery near Lander University. … Javarre Kemar Reed, 17, of Greenwood and Zechariah Deontae Williamson, 17, of Greenwood were arrested in connection with this case.
- VA: Police seek suspect after burglary at Martinsville restaurant …
10.26.20 – Martinsville, Va. (WSET) — The Martinsville Police Department say they are searching for a suspect after a burglary at Martinsville …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela