Public Safety Updates
- ON: South Simcoe police will bill for false alarms starting in January
11.8.21 – Barrie Today — Property owners will get one ‘freebie’ but will then be billed for every false alarm police respond to; Fee being considered is $120.
- False alarm calls affecting first responders, community
11.12.21 – 25- ABC – Waco – IN-DEPTH: False alarm calls affecting first responders, community. Fri, November 12, 2021, 7:00 PM. Captions will look like this.
- Own a doorbell camera? Many Arizona residents must pay …
11.12.21 – Center Square – Many Arizona residents must pay their city or risk big fines … need a permit with the city to have an alarm system in your home,” she said …
- Biden Signs Secure Equipment Act, Increasing Restrictions on Dahua and Hikvision
11.12.21 – SSI – The new law prevents the FCC from granting or reviewing applications for licenses from companies the agency determines are a security threat to the U.S.
- 2021 Home Automation Deep Dive: Pro Installs Rebound, Sales of Security System Adjacencies Increase
11.2.21 – SSI – Home security systems installers are experiencing a post-pandemic push, but like COVID-19 itself the recovery remains ongoing. SSI’s 2021 Home Automation Deep Dive also shows companies expanding their offerings while dealing with the encroachment of DIY competition.
- DIY or Die? Why Security Pros Need to Get With the Times
11.12.21- SSI – While the emergence of this new sector has caused some market erosion, it has also brought fresh benefits and opportunities to professional full-service installation and monitored service businesses.
- School of Smart Locks: Why Your Customers Should Make the Switch
11.10.21 – SSI – The key to residential access control it turns out may not involve a key at all. Find out how intelligence at the door is an all-around smart option.
- 4 Cold-Calling Lessons From a Business Development Expert
11.9.21 – SSI – By focusing on what benefits you have to offer, security and CE integrators can improve their cold-calling skills and eventually win projects.
- Tech Trends: A Future Without Passwords?
11.12.21 – SIW – Startup ProveID looks to end our dependence on passwords using proximity-based and persistent authentication
Fire & EMS News
- PA: Police: Color of underwear leads to man being caught for …
11.8.21 – Times Leader – Masaitis, 37 was identified as the culprit after police reviewed surveillance video and confirmed the color of his underwear, court records say. Firefighters who responded to the hotel’s alarm told police the suspect wore orange underwear, the same color Masaitis had on when he was detained.
- WI: Police break up large melee outside Madison high school
11.8.21 – AP – According to authorities, someone pulled a fire alarm at Madison East High School Monday and dozens of students ran outside where fighting began. Interim Principal Mikki Smith said in a note to parents that as altercations escalated, police were called to the school.
- AL: Man faces criminal trespassing charges for hiding in library …
11.8.21 – WHNT – A man is facing criminal trespassing charges after he hid in the Huntsville Madison County Public Library after it closed Friday night.
- AZ: Serial burglar accused of breaking into more businesses
11.12.21 – Chandler News – PD: Serial burglar accused of breaking into more businesses in Chandler. … Police said Payne broke glass doors or windows to get into those businesses. He was booked into jail on multiple counts of third-degree burglary. Police said Payne has “a history of burglary arrests and is currently on probation for burglary.”
- GA: Several guns stolen from local pawn shop
11.8.21 – Yahoo Finance -Five rifles were stolen from a pawn shop in downtown Milledgeville early Tuesday, local authorities say. The assorted firearms were taken from Quality Pawn, according to Milledgeville Police Department Road Patrol Commander Mal. Linc Boyer.
- GA: Two charged for burglary after crashing car in Coffee County
11.9.21 – Two people have been arrested for burglary after being seen by Coffee County Sheriff’s deputies leaving the scene of the crime. … 22-year-old Kendall Sanders and 28-year-old Benjamin West were both captured a short time later and arrested on a charge of burglary each.
- IL: Dancing And Disorderly, Business Break-In: Elmhurst Cops
11.8.21 – Patch – Officers saw Lofton dancing in the parking lot. Business break-in. Find out what’s happening in Elmhurst with free, real-time updates from Patch …
- IN: Police thwart Marion post office burglary …
11.9.21 – Chronicle Tribune – 8 and was found in possession of stolen items, according to court records. Smith is facing a Level 5 felony charge of burglary as well as a …
- KS: Police: Burglary suspect was hiding inside Kan. credit union
11.9.21 – Hays Post – Monday, police responded to a report of a possible burglary at the Communication Federal Credit Union, according …
- MD: Robbers try to steal credit union ATM by ramming it with stolen …
11.12.21 – Capital Gazette – An unknown amount of people tried to steal a SECU Credit Union ATM in Glen Burnie Thursday night, Anne Arundel County police said.
- MI: 2 Orion Township businesses targeted in Friday break-ins
11.12.21 – Orion Township – Two commercial burglaries, one in which thieves made off with a safe containing $80,000, were reported in the township Friday within a one-hour span. The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were dispatched to an alarm at a Citgo Gas Station at 3:55 a.m. Friday.
- MI: County using thermal imaging drone technology to fight crime
11.13.21 – Saginaw County, Michigan (WNEM) – A huge presence of law enforcement that culminated with the arrest of a man suspected of a break-in was done with the help from drone technology.
- MN: Burglary reported at International Spices & Grocery …
11.9.21 – Yahoo – The Rochester Police Department is investigating an early morning burglary at the International Spices & Grocery in downtown Rochester. … Officers responded just before 2 a.m. Tuesday to the grocery store and restaurant…
- NC: Video: Suspect behind multiple break-ins overnight in Edenton
11.12.21 – Edenton, N.C. (WAVY) — Edenton police are asking for help to identify a burglary suspect who struck several locations in the town overnight.
- NE: Officers investigating two break-ins at Lincoln vape shops
11.11.21 – KOLN – The Lincoln Police Department is investigating two break ins at vape shops and working to see if they’re connected.
- OH: Two Men Arrested in Ross County After Attempted Break-in of …
11.8.21 – Scioto Post – When deputies arrived on the scene in Ross County they found two men and a broken window pane of glass in the …
- TX: Catalytic converter thieves target auto dealerships in Hawaii
11.12.21 – KHON – Thieves stole three catalytic converters early morning on Monday, Nov. 8, at the dealership in Waipahu by cutting holes in two wire fences.
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate –
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela