1.19.24 – THV 11 – LITTLE ROCK, Ark –
The Arkansas Public Service Commission says customers with the 870 area code should be prepared for 10-digit dialing and the introduction of the new 327 area code.
On Friday, 10-digit dialing became a requirement for people in the Arkansas 870 area code region. The Arkansas Public Service Commission said the change comes as the region prepares for the introduction of the new 327 area code.
According to the Arkansas Public Service Commission, all local calls made within the AR 870 area code must be placed using 10 digits (area code + the 7-digit telephone number).
Calls placed using only 7 digits will not be completed.
Area code 870 covers much of the state, from cities such as Pine Bluff to Mountain Home or Jonesboro to Monticello.
Additionally, the Arkansas Public Service Commission said the 327 area code will be added as an overlay to the 870 region. The overlay does not require customers to change their existing area code, but does require customers to dial the area code to complete local calls.
The Arkansas Public Service Commission said new telephone lines or services may be assigned numbers using the new 327 area code starting Feb. 20. The new overlay allows more numbers to be distributed throughout the region.
Key facts to know about the upcoming AR 870/327 area code overlay:
- Your current telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- If you seek new phone service on and after February 20, 2024, you may be assigned a phone number with the 327 area code.
- You will need to dial the area code + telephone number for all local calls, including calls within the same area code.
- You will continue to dial 1 + area code + telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911 and 988. You can also dial three digits to reach 211, 311, 511, 611, 711 and 811 where available.