- PPVAR Roundtable Explains Path to Beating Back False …
10.20 – SSI — In this edition of the Security Speaking podcast, three members of the Partnership for Priority Verified Alarm Response delve into trends, challenges and opportunities revolving around alarm response. … PPVAR Roundtable Explains Path to Beating Back False Dispatches …
- How Verification Tech is Revolutionizing Alarm Response
10.21.20 – SSI – Using video and audio to verify intrusion alarms is gaining momentum. Leadership of the Partnership for Priority Verified Alarm Response (PPVAR) explains how smarter technology is slashing false dispatches and optimizing law enforcement response.
- DMP Introduces ‘FirstNet Ready’ Alarm Communicator
10.21.20 – SSI – With DMP’s FirstNet Ready communicator, the XR Series control panels are among the first available for use on the FirstNet network.
- Brinks Home Security Settles Lawsuit With Edge Home Security
10.20.20 – SSI – The case, which was filed in Federal Court in North Carolina, centered on deceptive sales practices by Utah-based Edge Home Security.
State & National News
- Google discontinues its Google Nest Secure alarm system …
10.19.20 – 9to5Google – Google has discontinued its Google Nest Secure alarm system, the company first confirmed to Android Police. And sure enough, if you visit the Nest Secure’s page on the Google Store right now, there’s a big button right at the top that says the product is no longer available.
- News From NFPA: What Is Causing False Fire Alarm …
10.20.20 – Facility Executive – Nuisance alarms are caused by a variety of things but in nearly all cases, these can be traced back to improper detector type (the designer selected the wrong type of detector); installation (the detector is installed in the wrong location or wiring is an issue); inspection (lack of inspection); testing (testing does …
- Taking a Consultive Approach Post COVID–19
10.23.20 – SSI – Lots of security technologies are offered today in response to COVID-19, however, do they address the bigger picture of risk mitigation from a business outcome perspective?
- Job Insecurity Gives Rise to the ‘Empowered Employee’: HP Study
10.19.20 – SSI – As COVID-19 accelerates the work from home trend, employees are reskilling and retraining themselves for the future of work.
- PASS Releases Update to Safety and Security Guidelines for K-12 Schools
10.19.20 – SSI – The PASS guidelines are endorsed by SchoolSafety.gov, the federal government’s clearinghouse for best practice information on school safety topics.
- What to Do With the “I Can’t Afford It” Objection
10.20.20 – Entrepreneur – Here are some ways to turn around the sale or, at the very least, keep your company at the top of the prospect’s mind.
Fire & EMS News
- Heater triggers alarm at Mulberry Square …
1023.20 – Punxsutawney Spirit – A fire alarm at Mulberry Square brought all three Punxsutawney Fire Companies to the health care facility at around noon on Friday. They found the source of the smoke was a heater that caused the alarm to go off. At no time were any residents in danger, and none were evacuated from the structure.
- IL: Burglars strike Edwardsville Walgreens before suspect sparks …
10.21.20- Intelligencer — Burglars strike Edwardsville Walgreens before suspect sparks police chase. 2 men swipe tobacco; 1 steals van, eludes police. Charles …
- MN: Police calls for Monday, Oct. 19: Packed weekend results in …
10.19.20 – Winona Daily News — Police calls for Monday, Oct. 19: Packed weekend results in thefts, property damage and multiple false alarms.
- MS: 2 men arrested, charged with commercial burglary in Ocean …
10.20.20 – Ocean Springs, Miss. (WXXV) — Early Sunday morning, officers with the Ocean Springs Police Department responded to an alarm call at …
- NC: Bank robber receives 7-year prison sentence
10.19.20 – The Enterprise – rocky mount — A federal judge has sent a local bank robber and jail escapee to prison for seven and a half years. David Marshall Viverette, 30, pleaded guilty to one count of bank robbery in November 2019. U.S. District Judge Louise Flanagan sentenced Viverette last week.
- PA: State police release picture of suspect of break in at VFW pro shop
10.22.20 – WCCS – State Police are looking for the person responsible for a break-in at the VFW golf club in White Township on O…
- PA: State police seek golf shop burglar in Indiana County …
10.21.20 – Trib – State police are looking for a burglar who allegedly used a golf club to break into the pro shop at The Indian Springs Golf and Country Club in White Township, Indiana County.
- TX: Lufkin police: 2 suspects used stolen pickup to break into bank …
10.23.20 – Nacogdoches, Texas (KTRE) – Two individuals broke into an ATM at a bank on Tulane Drive using pry bars and a stolen pickup early Friday morning, according to the Lufkin Police Department.
- VA: HCSO investigates break-in at nursery
10.20.20 – RRSpin — The Halifax County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a break-in which deputies responded to around 4:30 Monday morning. Chief Deputy Scott Hall …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela