Public Safety Updates
- LA: First responders receive numerous false alarm calls in Jeff Davis Parish
10.18.18 – KATC Lafayette News – First responders are getting more false alarm calls in Jeff Davis Parish. According to the sheriff’s office, only two calls out of 557 this year were valid. Officials say …
- NM: AFR to begin tracking false alarms and fining offenders
10.19.18 – KRQE News 13 – Albuquerque, N.M. – Has the fire department been called to a false alarm at your home or business? Then you’re contributing to a growing problem.
- VA: Automated Secure Alarm Protocol (ASAP) Adopted in Chesapeake, Va.
10.16.18 – Security Sales & Integration – Pittsburgh – The City of Chesapeake, Va., is the latest municipality to implement Automated Secure Alarm Protocol (ASAP), according to Vector Security.
- I-View Now Enhances MASterMind Intergration to Reduce False Alarms
10.16.18 – Security Sales & Integration – This process allows the end user to cancel the alarm, request dispatch and call the monitoring center. “A key value at MAS has always been to help alarm …
- How Do Security AI Applications Learn?
10.15.18 – SSI – AI is a massive buzzword in security, but how exactly does it work? Here’s an overview of learning techniques such as deep learning and reinforcement training to help you better understand.
- Vital tips about wires, cabling
9.19.18 CI – Ethernet cable not only can be used to transmit data and communication, but also power for low-power-usage devices. This article discusses design considerations and relevant codes and standards.
- Tysons-based Alarm.com in Smart Home Battle with Amazon and …
10.19.18 – Tysons Reporter – Alarm.com, a Tysons-based home protection system, started as one of the pioneers of remote home security management. Today the company is fighting to hold …
- Dynamark Monitoring Launches National Equipment Financing Program
10.20.18 – Security Sales & Integration – “Integrators and alarm companies are tired of two things: losing potential customers due to cost, and being forced to sell off their accounts to create working …
State & National News
- Trends in Hotel Room Technology: Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things
10.15.18 – CI – The hospitality industry is focused on keeping pace with emerging hotel room technology, with artificial intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT) among the most likely to check in.
- Is the Future 5G?
10.16.18 – SIW – While 5G represents the top of the mountain in communications technology, the industry must deal with another…
- TCPA Impact on Monitoring Providers
10.16.18 – SIW – The Telephone Consumer Protection Act may prohibit some methods of communication between alarm companies and…
- 10 Cybersecurity Smart Home Tips to Share With Customers
10.16.18 – CEPro – It’s Hacktober, also known as National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM), which means it’s the perfect time to brush up on some key tips to help keep your customers and their data safe from hackers.
- California pushes net neutrality, feds and telcoms fight back
10.16.18 – State Net Capitol Journal – In the last bill signing session of his long and historic career, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) endorsed a measure last month that overrides federal rules and gives the Golden State the toughest net neutrality statute in the nation. But with multiple lawsuits now in play, Brown may well be retired to his Colusa ranch property before we know if the law will ever go into effect. NCSL resources on net neutrality legislation.
- Survey: 32% of Coworking Tenants Experienced Theft from Ex-Coworker
10.1.18 – Security – According to a survey of more than 1,000 U.S. office workers, traditional access control methods are costly and becoming more vulnerable by the minute. The survey, commissioned by NexKey, found that nearly 60 percent of people surveyed would prefer to use their smartphones to access spaces over more traditional methods such as keys or cards.
- Residential Construction Woes Linger as Housing Starts Dip in September
10.18.18 – SSI – The latest government data shows a housing market waylaid by a critical shortage of properties for sale, higher home prices and rising mortgage rates.
- Study: Unresolved Technical Problems with Smart Home Devices Rise 240% in 3 Years
10.18.18 – CEPro – Parks Associates study reveals 79% of consumers have self-installed a smart home device, and most do not turn to integrators for assistance when there is a technical problem.
- Why Your AV Business Sales Management Needs to be Like ‘Nurse Ratched’
10.20.18 – CI – She may have been tough, but this classic character from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” would run sales management pretty well for your AV business.
- Wholesale Monitoring and the Quest for RMR
10.16.18 – SecurityInfoWatch – Offering remote alarm and event monitoring – particularly for video-based events focusing on intrusion detection or prevention – through a partnership with a …
- PERS: A Guide to Evolving Personal Emergency Response Systems
10.19.18 – SSI – How device makers and platform providers, as well as advances in cellular wireless technology have accelerated the uses and benefits of PERS and mPERS.
- Apartment Renters Place High Value on Security Amenities
10.19.18 – SSI – Security dealers would be wise to study the opportunities to provide their services, including smart home amenities, to the growing population of apartment dwellers
- Feeding the Growing Appetite for Video Surveillance Data
10.15.18 – SDM – Historically, storage has been a challenge for video system designers and installers, with requirements rising along with camera resolutions. The addition of big data, the Internet of Things (IoT), integrated …
- PTZs: Valuable Tool or Obsolete Technology?
9.28.18 – SDM – Recently, some research and anecdotal evidence have suggested a decline in the use of pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) cameras compared with fixed megapixel cameras, which seems on its face to make sense. …
- How a Hybrid DIY Model Puts Security Dealers on Firm Footing
10.19.18 – SSI – If you want to grow you are going to have to come up with a viable offering in the DIY space. What we have seen, which is becoming more popular, is a hybrid model from the end-user perspective. We call it Dealer DIY. That is where a professional dealer provides the installation, has the local presence and other customer-centric offerings, and they couple these with a DIY solution.
Fire & EMS News
- CT: Shelton Fire Department Weekly Calls
10.15.18 – Valley Independent Sentinel – #3 responded to the Shelton Intermediate School for a fire alarm activation. There was no fire. An engine responded. On 10/10/18 at 6:32 am the Huntington Co.
- IL: Police Notes & Week in Review – 10/17/18
10.17.18 – Xavier Newswire – Oct. 12, 12:13 a.m. – Xavier Police, Cincinnati Fire, Physical Plant and Residence Life responded to Brockman Hall for a fire alarm. The system was reset.
- LA: Fire alarm goes off at Thibodaux STEM
10.16.18 – KATC Lafayette News – An electrical socket shorted out at David Thibodaux STEM this morning, setting off the fire alarm. The fire department came to check everything out, and …
- MA: Cohasset police log, Oct. 8-14
10.20.18 – Wicked Local – 6:40 p.m.: A carbon monoxide alarm was reported at a residence. Firefighters reported zero readings in the house….
- MA: Rochester Police Log: Oct. 7-13
10.20.18 – Wicked Local – 10:37 a.m.: A fire alarm was reported at a residence…
- MN: Brainerd firefighters respond
10.16.18 – Brainerd Dispatch – At 2 p.m. Friday, firefighters were called to Woodland Good Samaritan for a fire alarm. Upon investigation, it was determined to be a …
- NH: Fire Mutual Aid log, Oct. 16, 2018
10.16.18 – The Keene Sentinel – 1:56 a.m., Richmond Fire Department, fire alarm. 8:48 a.m., Keene Fire Department, fire alarm. 10:50 a.m. …
- NH: Fire Mutual Aid log, Sunday, Oct. 21, 2018
10.21.18 – The Keene Sentinel – 5:11 p.m., Rindge Fire Department, fire alarm. 5:27 p.m., Jaffrey … 10:04 p.m., Bellows Falls Fire Department, fire alarm.
- TN: Police/Fire reports for 10/18/18
10.19.18 – Columbia Daily Herald – 6:35 a.m., Alarm system activation, no fire – unintentional.
- WA: Smoke alarm saves man and dog as fire destroys Poulsbo home
10.16.18 – KOMO News – A smoke alarm is being credited with saving a man and his dog from a … The man had been sleeping inside when the smoke alarm went off, allowing him to …
- CA: Tuolumne County Sheriff’s Dept. Activity Logs for October 15
10.21.18 – The Pine Tree – 01:27 ALARM ALL TYPES 1810150004 … 01:47 ALARM ALL TYPES 1810150007 … Disposition: False Alarm canceled prior to dispatch (Will not be billed).
- CO: Parker Police Ask For Help In Series Of Smash & Grab Burglaries
10.15.18 – CBS Denver – Shortly after 3 a.m. Monday, officers rushed to a business alarm at Colonna’s Pizza. During the course of the investigation, …
- GA: Gwinnett police seeking suspects in thefts of nearly $1M in electronics
10.17.18 – Gwinnettdailypost.com – The police report for the Stampede Presentation theft states the alarm at the warehouse was set off about 11:29 p.m. Oct. 5 but was quickly turned off using the …
- IL: Police blotter
10.21.18 – Newsbug.info – Watseka Police responded to an activated alarm on October 16. …
- IN: Police investigating rash of burglaries on the south-side
10.18.18 – WISH-TV – “Not only are we getting an alarm system, we are going to buy some cameras,” said Gayle Cosby. “We didn’t have a security system. We are having one installed …
- KS: Police respond to pharmacy alarm, find suspect inside – The Salina Post
10.15.18 – The Salina Post – Police respond to pharmacy alarm, find suspect inside … A suspect was arrested Saturday night after Salina Police responded to an alarm at Key Rexall in central Salina. Salina Police Captain Paul Forrester said Monday that officers … with officers’ orders and was tased before being taken into custody.
- KY: 2 Found Dead In Louisville Home From Apparent Gunshot Wounds
10.15.18 – LEX18 Lexington KY News – About a week ago, family members finally got her ex out of the house, only to have him break back in, cut the alarm system, and wait for the woman to get home.
- KY: Police and fire reports for Oct. 13, 2018
10.15.18 – Winchester Sun – At 9:08 a.m. Thursday, firefighters responded to an alarm sounding at Phoenix House. It was a false alarm. …
- MA: Andover police searching for burglary suspects
10.15.18 – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News – … appeared to be gray hooded sweatshirts, and caused significant damage to the home when breaking in, including dismantling the alarm system, Keefe said.
- MA: Concord police log, Oct. 5-14
10.20.18 – Wicked Local – 3:33 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at Papa Razzi. …. 3:13 p.m.: An alarm was reported for an unknown male outside the …
- MA: Marion Police Log: Oct. 7-13
10.20.18 – Wicked Local – 4:22 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at Mattapoisett Harbor. …
- MA: Police Briefs — Week of Oct. 15
10.17.18 – Tufts Daily – On Oct. 10 at 4:19 p.m., TUPD was dispatched for fire alarm trouble. TUPD determined there was an issue with the fire alarm control panel as a …
- MA: Police investigating three home break-ins on Winchester’s Highland Ave.
10.16.18 – Wicked Local – To help prevent break-ins, police advises homeowners to get an alarm system, but also to get to know your neighbor and develop a good relationship with them.
- MA: Swampscott police log, Oct. 10-15
10.20.18 – Wicked Local – 5:53 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported. …
- ME: Damariscotta Police Report
10.15.18 – The Lincoln County News – Officer Sylvester assisted with a disabled motor vehicle, investigated an alarm, and …
- MI: CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Sheriff searching for suspect who tried to …
10.18.18 – nbc25news.com – Police say two suspects were involved, but only one of them was caught on camera. The suspects cut power at the store to disable the alarm system.
- MN: Weekend panic call results in juvenile males’ arrests near Worthington
10.15.18 – Daily Globe – … by the Worthington Police Department, officers reported to an undisclosed Worthington business in response to a panic alarm received at 7:54 p.m. Saturday.
- MO: Arrest made in attempted burglary in Scammon
10.18.18 – Joplin Globe – Deputies responded to an alarm at the store about 4:30 a.m. Saturday and found signs of an attempted burglary. Surveillance video showed two men …
- MO: Department investigating burglary in Howell County
10.15.18 – Ozark Radio News – Deputies were sent to a home around 10:43 pm Saturday, October 13 in reference to an alarm call. Deputies say …
- MO: Man arrested for early morning Dollar General burglary
10.15.18 – KSNF/KODE – FourStatesHomepage.com – Joplin, Mo. – On Sunday morning around 3:47 a.m., Joplin police officers responded to a business alarm at Dollar General. As they arrived …
- NC: Mebane man held in break-in
10.20.18 – Burlington Times News – Sheriff’s deputies responded at 8:06 a.m. Friday, Oct. 19, to a breaking and entering alarm at a residence and found …
- NE: $600 worth of cigarettes stolen from Lincoln gas station
10.17.18 – 1011now – LPD said on Oct. 16, shortly before 4 a.m., officers responded to Parkway Phillips 66 on a burglary alarm. Responding officers …
- NM: Police ID burglary suspect killed by Albuquerque homeowner
10.18.18 – KRQE News 13 – The homeowner told police his alarm in the garage went off at his home near Tramway and Copper. When he went to check it, he said 22-year-old Clayton …
- NY: Geneseo Police Activity Report
10.15.18 – The Livingston County News – Responded to an alarm. Responded to the Walmart superstore for a check the welfare complaint. …
- OH: Bucyrus Police make arrest in Morrow County theft case
10.15.18 – Richland Source – 11:09 a.m. A false alarm was investigated. … 1:33 a.m. An alarm area was investigated and subjects …
- OH: Canton man accused of breaking into Massillon storage units
10.18.18 – Canton Repository – Massillon – When police responding to an alarm at a storage facility found a man walking away, he “immediately threw a pair of bolt cutters and gloves in a …
- OH: Police: Suspect kicks officer after Youngstown woman is robbed at …
10.15.18 – WFMJ – A report says the victim’s alarm system began going off and Bussey and the man ordered her to turn it off “or they would shoot her”. The suspects then allegedly …
- OR: Police dog finds suspected burglar hiding in Salem ventilation shaft
10.20.18 – KPTV.com – Police responded to a commercial burglary alarm at the building just before 3:30 a.m. and saw a person on the roof.
- OR: Suspect in Key Bank robbery in custody
10.19.18 – KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2 – According to Grants Pass Department of Public Safety, police responded to the bank after a hold up alarm was triggered. Suiter was taken into custody without …
- SC: Crime blotter for Oct. 20
10.20.18 – Aiken Standard – According to reports provided by the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office: Deputies responded to a CVS on Friday morning after the alarm …
- TN: Police: Car titles stolen from car dealership over weekend
10.16.18 – The Daily News Journal – Police responded to a Murfreesboro car dealership on Saturday in response to an alarm. After arriving at Car Crazy Automotive and making contact with the …
- VA: Police arrest man after Williamson Road shoe store break-in
10.17.18 – WSLS 10 – Roanoke County, Va. – Roanoke County police have made an arrest after a recent burglary. Around 1 a.m. Sunday, officers responded to a burglar alarm at …
- WV: Police looking for two people accused of stealing from stores in Marietta
10.21.18 – The News Center – The investigation revealed an employee heard the audible alarm sound at the front exit and witnessed a male running through the parking lot pushing a cart.
- WV: Police Reports
10.19.18 -Wheeling Intelligencer – At 7:44 a.m., burglar alarm….
- WV: Thieves hide in store until close and steal about $50-100K in jewelry
10.16.18 – WSAZ-TV – Deputies say they ran out a side door that triggered a fire alarm. Investigators and store management are combing through security footage. They also have to …
- WV: Woman arrested after allegedly stealing $34000 worth of jewelry in …
10.19.18 -WSAZ-TV – Police responded to an alarm at the home and, when they got there, discovered the back door of the home was busted off of the frame. The victim told police …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams