Public Safety Updates
- New Orleans 9-1-1 revamps how calls are prioritized
The Orleans Parish Communications District in New Orleans has upgraded its system so that past 9-1-1 calls no longer get prioritized the same way as ones in progress. April Heinze, 9-1-1 and PSAP operations director at the National Emergency Number Association, says the new practice is in line with other 9-1-1 agencies. Full Story: The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate (9/27)
- New tech lets 911 callers share live video with dispatchers
WTHR-TV -Brown County is one of four Indiana counties that have adopted new technology for 911 calls. It’s software called Prepared Live and dispatchers say it can be a game-changer in responding to emergencies.
- 9.28.22 – Oil City News – With false alarms on the rise, Casper Police propose stricter city ordinance · Third false alarm: $75 · Fourth false alarm: $150 · Fifth false …
- FCC: Ian Knocks Out 6 TV, 21 Radio Stations
9.29.22 – TV Tech – In the wake of hurricane Ian, the FCC has issued a report showing widespread damage to media and communications outlets in Florida, with 6 TV stations, 6 AM radio stations and 15 FM stations being reported as out of service.
- Fall protection is OSHA’s top safety violation for 12th year in a row
9.21.22 – ISHN – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration announced Tuesday its preliminary Top 10 most frequently cited workplace safety standards for fiscal year 2022.
- Weather monitors gather real-time heat stress readings on your jobsite
9.23.22 – ISHN – It’s paramount to know the exact temperature on your jobsite to protect workers in hot conditions. At higher temperatures, a change of even a few degrees can be a warning sign.
- Mitigate supply chain disruptions with 3 steps
9.28.22 – Supply Chain Quarterly – Supply chain disruptions caused by things such as severe weather, political unrest or emerging technologies can be handled in three ways, including adopting digital tools more quickly and expanding collaboration with partners and customers, according to a Gartner study. “
- Alarm.com Unveils Smart Thermostat HD
9.26.22 – SSI – The newly announced Smart Thermostat HD from Alarm.com provides a full array of HVAC management options and the ability to integrate into Alarm.
- Decoding Emergency Communications Standards: NFPA 1225
9.28.22 – SSI – Decoding Emergency Communications Standards: NFPA 1225. The purpose of BDAs is to enhance the ability of a handheld radio to receive and …
- 2022 Security End-User Forum: Security Directors Share Needs and Wants
9.26.22 -SSI – Scott Goldfine – Managers from three customer markets deliver keen insights to give integrators a better perspective on how today’s commercial customers think and what they really need most.
- Security Directors Call for Action: What Integrators Need to Know About Campus Security Needs
9.29.22 – SSI – Scott Goldfine -From tight budgets to the pandemic to supply and manpower shortages, in recent years those responsible for their organization’s security and safety have been put through a gauntlet of challenges. Managers from three customer markets deliver keen insights in the latest Security Speaking podcast.
- Big Idea of the Month: Sort Contracts Before the Acquisition Process
9.30.22 – SSI – Ron Davis – While speaking about the acquisition process, Bob Lubic tells Ron Davis that the main reason a deal falls apart is there is something wrong with a significant percentage of contracts.
- How Integrators Can Strengthen the Security of Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
9.28.22 – SSI – Clint Choate – SMBs are facing more security challenges than ever before. Here are best practices for integrators to become the ultimate security partner.
Fire & Life Safety News
- TN: Fire alarms help save Knoxville home
9.28.22 – WATE – KFD said this instance serves as a great reminder to check fire alarms in the home regularly and change out the batteries in the detectors …
- CA: Burglary reported in Atherton on Friday night –
10.1.22 – Almanac Online – Someone broke into a house in Atherton on Friday, Sept. 30, evening, according to police. Sometime between 8 and 8:30 p.m., officers responded to a security alarm activation, according to a press release.
- CA: Home Intruder Found Naked In Closet
9.29.22 – My Mother Lode – Twain Harte, CA – An alleged burglar was caught in a precarious position at a Twain Harte home when a K-9 exposed the suspect.
- MA: Fall River Police are investigating three business robberies in …
9.27.22 – Fall River Reporter – Fall River Police are investigating the third business robbery in less than 24 hours. According to scanner transmissions, just before 2:00 …
- MI: Burglars steal $8,000 in merch from Saginaw Township …
9.29.22 – MLive – Saginaw Twp, MI – Police are investigating the burglary of a Saginaw Township collectible sneaker store that resulted in thousands of …
- MN: Burglary suspects reached speeds over 100 mph during chase
9.29.22 – CBS Minnesota – The Dunn County Sheriff’s Office says three men led officers on a chase early Thursday morning after they allegedly robbed two businesses …
- NC: Burlington police looking for suspect in tobacco store burglary …
9.26.22 – Times News – Burlington police officers responded to Prime Tobacco & Vape on Sunday in reference to a business alarm, according to a department news ..
- NY: Burglary Arrest Following Investigation
9.26.22 – Genesee Sun – On September 15th, 2022, at approximately 2:40 a.m., Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a business in the Town of Caledonia to report a burglar alarm.
- OH: Three Elm Road businesses report break-ins Thursday
10.1.22 – Tribune Chronicle – Warren – Three businesses in a plaza sustained damages and loss of merchandise after a worker at one of the …
- PA: Erie Police Department investigates attempted ATM burglary …
9.28.22 – Daily Camera – The Erie Police Department is investigating a Wednesday morning attempted burglary at Walgreens. About 3 a.m. Wednesday, Officer Cody Powers …
- TX: Man accused of robbing convenience store arrested
9.27.22 – KGNS – Laredo Police arrested 19-year-old Daniel Vicente Hinojosa for two counts of aggravated robbery. The incident was reported on Sept. 20 at around …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate – Amy Fuselier
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela