Public Safety Updates
- CA: Odd address homes with alarms must renew permits by Jan. 31
12.31.18 – Manteca Bulletin – Those who have residential burglary alarms in Manteca with odd number addresses need to renew their alarm permits by Jan. 31. In doing so, under new rules.
- GA: Brookhaven to fine companies for false alarms
12.31.18 – Reporter Newspapers – The new restrictions on alarm companies follows the lead of Sandy Springs, which implemented a similar ordinance that targets security companies and not …
- GA: Brookhaven Takes Sandy Springs Lead, Will Fine Dealers for False …
1.2.19 – Security Sales & Integration – Brookhaven, Ga. – City officials here have adopted alarm-ordinance rules inspired by a measure in Sandy Springs Ga., that mandate alarm dealers pay fines.
- WI: City might want keys to short-term rental properties
1.2.19 – Lake Geneva Regional News – City Attorney Dan Draper said the Lake Geneva Fire Department requested the measure, because firefighters recently responded to an alarm at a short-term …
- NT: False fire alarms up 30 percent in 2018 according to YK Fire Division
1.2.19 – My Yellowknife Now – There were 210 responses to false fire alarms in Yellowknife in 2018 up to end of November according to the YKFD. This is up by about 50 calls compared to …
- GA: Aragon Council moving ahead with false alarm ordinance
1.4.19 – Northwest Georgia News – Aragon’s city council recently drafted a false alarm ordinance to help better conserve … The ordinance seems to focus on automated alarm systems in particular, …
- NY: New NY law mandates sale of upgraded smoke detectors
1.4.19 – NEWS10 ABC – The Clifton Park Fire Department says that while these 10-year smoke detectors have a larger upfront cost than traditional alarms powered by replaceable …
- Per Mar acquires Barone and PBSS
1.3.19 – SSN – Davenport, Iowa—Per Mar Security Services, a family-owned, full-service security company based here, announced it has acquired Barone and Polk Burnett Security Systems (PBSS) from Iverify for an undisclosed amount.
- ADT Fined by SEC for Earnings Disclosure Requirements Violations
12.31.18 – SSI – SEC ordered ADT to pay $100,000 for failure to report financial measures under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Interlogix has a home security touchscreen at CES that works with …
1.6.19 – CNET – Interlogix, a Carrier company, has some new home gadgets for CES 2019 that are designed to work with Alarm.com security systems.
State & National News
- New Ring Security Lights Leaked in FCC Filings
1.3.19 – SSI – The FCC listings don’t include any information about price or availability, so it’s not clear when Ring intends to release the two lights.
- PASS releases updated K-12 school safety and security guidelines
1.1.19 – SIW – The Partner Alliance for Safer Schools (PASS) has released the fourth edition of its Safety and Security Guidelines for K-12 Schools, which provides school administrators, school boards and public safety and security professionals with guidelines for implementing a layered and tiered approach to securing and enhancing the safety of school environments.
- Biggest issues for states to watch in 2019
1.1.19 – Governing – 18 of the policies and proposals that will dominate state legislatures this year. NCSL data cited.
- Security Trends 2019: How To Make Your Security Tech Company Stand Out
1.4.19 – CI – Industry association meeting speakers put New Year’s security tech company challenges into perspective as integrators keep tabs on security trends for 2019.
- 25 Top Security Trends in 2018 Shed Light on 2019
1.4.19 – SSI – Editor-in-Chief Scott Goldfine looks back on 2018’s big trends in the security industry as you look ahead to what 2019 may bring.
- 7 Tips to Steer Clear of Cybersecurity Risks in 2019
1.3.19 – SSI – Chuck Saia, Deloitte CEO of Risk and Financial Advisory, delivers advice to avoid and combat cybersecurity risks in the new year.
- Experts: Access control tech to continue to evolve in 2019
1.4.19 – SIW – Today’s drivers include innovations in mobile apps, cloud technology and a surge in AI development
- How to design fire alarm notification systems
12.13.18 – Consulting-Specifying Engineer -This mass notification and emergency communication system design discussion is holistic and includes all associated coordination requirements.
Fire & EMS News
- AK: Police and emergency
1.2.19 – Valdez Star – 12-19-18 Valdez Fire Department responded to a fire alarm activation at Silver Bay Seafood’s. After investigation of the area, no fire was located and the alarm …
- IL: Elderly man dead, wife injured in apartment fire on NW Side
1.2.19 – WLS-TV – Neighbor Russell Burzych, who lives across the hall, said he and his son were awakened by the smoke alarm at about 3:45 a.m. “My son lives with me and I got …
- IN: Fine print: Sheriff’s log Dec. 21-27
1.1.19 – Brown County Democrat – 1:51 p.m. Nashville Fire and EMS 8 respond for medical alarm; cleared by 3:44 p.m.. 2 p.m. Town officer conducts drug ..
- MA: Brainerd firefighters respond to alarm
1.4.19 – Brainerd Dispatch – The Brainerd Fire Department was called at 7:54 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 2, on the 2800 block of Addison Avenue for a fire alarm. Upon investigation, it was …
- MA: Firefighters respond to multiple calls
1.2.19 – Brainerd Dispatch – The Brainerd Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at 11:44 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 2, to the Oakwood House at Good Samaritan Society …
- MA: Swampscott police log, Dec. 21-28
1.5.19 – Wicked Local – 3:57 p.m.: A fire alarm was reported on Duncan Terrace. 11:10 p.m.: A noise complaint was reported on Pine Street. Wednesday, Dec. 26. 12:41 p.m.: A burglar …
- MD: Crews Respond to False Alarm at Chestertown Juvenile Detention …
1.2.19 – WBOC TV 16 – Chestertown, Md. — Fire crews responded to a juvenile detention facility Wednesday morning after someone pulled the fire alarm. It happened around 9:40 …
- NY: Westfield FD summarizes November service calls
12.31.18 – Evening Observer – One of those incidents was in the village. The response was for a smoke alarm activation at 21 Brewer. The other response was a mutual aid call to Brocton for a …
- OK: Smoke alarm alerts sleeping residents of fire at SW Oklahoma City home
12.31.18 – kfor.com – Oklahoma City – Three people who were asleep when a fire broke out at a southwest Oklahoma City home are safe thanks to a working smoke alarm.
- ON: Smoke alarms saved family from New Year’s tragedy: Fire Chief
1.3.19 – BayToday – East Ferris Fire Chief Frank Loeffen is crediting working smoke alarms for stopping a potential tragic fire Tuesday. The East Ferris Fire …
- TN: Christmas tree, presents and fireplace to blame for deadly Collierville …
1.4.19 – wreg.com – The only activated smoke alarm was on the hallway of the second floor, according to survivors. It is unknown if the alarm went off too late to successfully allow …
- WI: New Year’s Eve Otter Avenue house fire displaces family, rekindles a …
1.2.19 – The Oshkosh Northwestern – A 16-year-old girl escaped about 1 p.m. from the house after hearing the house’s one working smoke alarm, Oshkosh Fire …
- CA: Officers Catch Suspect Apparently Trying To Take ATM From Roseville …
1.3.19 – CBS Sacramento – Roseville police say officers responded to the scene a little after 3:30 a.m. to investigate an alarm activation. Officers got there in time to find the suspect still there …
- CA: St. Helena Police Log, Dec. 23-31
1.1.19 – Napa Valley Register – 2106 — A residential burglar alarm went off. It turned out that the family dog had tripped the alarm after the residents had left for the evening.
- CA: Tulare County man steals clothing from church, spotted by good …
1.3.19 – Visalia Times-Delta – Moments later, a witness called 911 to report that he heard the church alarm activate. He told dispatchers he saw a man running west from the church into a …
- CO: Thieves burrow through wall in Aurora Family Dollar robbery
1.2.19 – Sentinel Colorado – The “persons of interest” police have identified are wanted due to their behavior — discernible from surveillance footage — in the store the day the alarm wire …
- FL: Cape Coral police respond to burglar alarm at business, find broken …
1.1.19 – The News-Press – Cape Coral police found a broken window at a computer business and two men inside after hours when they responded to a burglar alarm Saturday morning.
- FL: LCSO: Leon County burglary suspect ran out of gas during chase
1.4.19 – WTXL ABC 27 – The Leon County Sheriff’s Office says that they responded to a burglary alarm at City Electric Supply on Friday. When they arrived, they saw 34-year-old William …
- ID: Kuna Crime Blotter
1.2.19 – Idaho Press-Tribune- Monday, Dec. 24. 7:25 a.m.: A commercial building burglary alarm was sounded.
- IL: Morton Grove police: Doors forced open, three homes burglarized
1.1.19 – Chicago Tribune – 12 after police responded to an activated alarm. A brick was reportedly used to gain entry. Three homes were reported burglarized Dec. 15, police said.
- MA: Hamilton police log, Dec. 16-21
1.5.19 – Wicked Local – Monday, Dec. 17. 9:54 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported.
- MA: Police Log: 1-2-19
1.2.19 – Daily Item – Alarm company reports accidental burglar alarm at Lynnfield Commons on Friday at 7:12 a.m. Officer reports building is secure.
- MA: Police Log: 1-4-19
1.3.19 – Daily Item – False alarms. Accidental burglar alarm triggered by workers on Wednesday at 8 a.m…
- ME: Wiscasset Police Report
1.2.19 – The Lincoln County News – Officer Barnes gave a warning for speeding on Main Street, responded to a burglar alarm (false alarm), investigated a report of suspicious activity on Westport …
- MI: Police investigate Comstock/Galesburg business break ins
1.2.19 – Midwest Communication- Kalamazoo County Detectives say they have two suspects in custody, who tripped an alarm at a Lawn Maintenance firm early New Year’s …
- NH: Man arrested in connection with armed robbery of Laconia smoke shop
1.1.19 – WMUR Manchester – On Saturday at 8:52 p.m., Laconia police responded to a report of a panic alarm at Smokers Haven. Upon arrival, officers were told an armed …
- NH: Man charged with armed robbery of Laconia smoke shop
12.31.18 – The Union Leader – Police said a panic alarm sent them to Smoker’s Haven a little before 9 p.m. They started an investigation and arrested Keene about 12:30 a.m. …
- NH: Police make arrest in vape shop holdup
1.2.19 – The Laconia Daily Sun – Police said they were alerted that a panic alarm had been activated at the business. Once officers arrived they were told there had been an armed robbery.
- NY: Man arrested after video shows him stealing TV from Niagara Falls …
12.31.18 – Buffalo News – … videos showed a resident removing the set around 6:07 a.m. and taking the elevator down before exiting the building via a side door, which set off an alarm.
- OH: Lights & Sirens | Two arrested on drug charges after traffic stops
12.31.18 – Bucyrus Telegraph Forum – A false alarm was reported…
- OK: 2 juveniles attempt to break into Ramona Mini Mart by shooting and …
1.1.19 – KTUL – Finally they start to throw stones at the window which then set the alarm off. “They are younger, but all I want to say to them is work hard. There’s no shortcut.
- TN: KCSO: “No injuries” after shot fired during alarm check
1.4.19 – WVLT.TV – A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office said an officer responded to the residence in the 3900 block for an alarm. When the officer arrived, the spokesperson said …
- TX: Beaumont man arrested for burglary
1.2.19 – KFDM-TV News – On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:30 a.m., Beaumont Police responded to a residence in reference to a burglar alarm.
- WV: Police respond to break-in at Dollar General
1.2.19 – Martinsburg Journal – Berkeley County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the store following an alarm at the location and found broken glass at a door, according to Sheriff Curtis Keller.
- WV: Wheeling, Belmont County Police Reports
1.3.19 – Wheeling Intelligencer – At 2 a.m., Jacob Street, false alarm….
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams