Public Safety Updates
- CA: Eureka Police will start billing for false alarms
1.19.18 – KRCRTV.COM- According to the Eureka Police Department, starting February 1, they will begin contracting with Phoenix Group Systems to aid in false alarm billing in hopes of …
- CT: New Milford Town Council approves new fines for false alarms and …
1.15.19 – Danbury News Times- New Milford – The Town Council on Monday approved fines for residents who have repeated false alarms and for those who refuse or ignore the town …
- GA: The Georgia Electronic Life Safety & System Association Files Notice of Appeal in Federal Lawsuit
1.17.19 – SDM – The Georgia Electronic Life Safety & Systems Association (GELSSA), A-Com Security Co. LLP and Safecom Security Solutions Inc. alarm companies filed a notice of appeal in their federal lawsuit against the city of Sandy Springs, Georgia, challenging the constitutionality of an ordinance that imposes fines on alarm companies for false alarms caused by alarm users.
- NV: Permit required for alarm system users in Washoe County
1.15.19 – KRNV My News 4- In order to do so, alarm system users, including homes and businesses with an alarm system, are required to obtain a permit from Washoe County to operate an ..
- ON: False Alarm Emergency Calls In Saugeen Shores
1.14.19 – Bayshore Broadcasting News Centre- Fire Chief Phil Eagleson says about 100 non-emergency calls involving fire and Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms were dealt with by the Fire Department in 2018.
- Interlogix to Bring Back Security Pro Dealer Program
1.18.19 – Security Sales & Integration- “If you ask end user customers of Interlogix who their security company is, most of them will likely say, ‘Alarm.com,” but Alarm.com does not make a security …
- Government shutdown wreaks havoc on contractors
1.18.19 – SIW – Smaller security integration and guard service businesses may not be able to recover from the financial hardship
- 10 Technology Game-Changers for 2019
1.18.19 – SIW – Ten technologies paving the path to greater profits for integrators in the new year…and beyond
- CES 2019: Smart Home Observations by Imperial Capital
1.19.18 – Security Sales & Integration- Although there have been some concerns surrounding the outlook of traditional alarm monitoring companies, we believe ADT’s residential and commercial …
State & National News
- State Fire Marshal cracking down on security alarm scams
1.19.18 – WTOK – State Fire Marshal cracking down on security alarm scams … The Mississippi State Fire Marshal Office is cracking down on dishonest security alarm sales.
- Georgia police group supports model alarm law opposed by Sandy …
1.14.19 – Reporter Newspapers- The Security Industry Alarm Coalition, one of the groups behind the lawsuit against Sandy Springs, believes the model ordinance would reduce false-alarms by …
- SSN – Blog! Top 3 areas shutdown is hitting security the hardest
1.16.18 – SSN – Here’s some specific areas the shutdown is hitting security the hardest, and please click here to comment on the topic in our News Poll:
- Do Ring Employees Have Access to Customer Surveillance Feeds?
1.14.19 – SSI – According to a report by The Intercept, Ring employees can view customer video feeds in order to help train its AI software.
- Speaking the Right Sales Language
1.17.19 – CEPro – Omaha, Neb.-based Echo Systems has turned its sales pitch into an ‘art form,’ leveraging a design-heavy showroom and converting skeptical clients into customers.
- A Day in the Life of a Remote Service Team
1.17.19 – CEPro – Range in complexity of service calls highlights the need for remote service capabilities to de-escalate clients, determine priority and use the service call as an opportunity.
- Learn How to Slice Your Taxable Income
1.17.19 – CEPro – The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act gave birth to Section 199A, which permits owners of sole proprietorships, S corporations or partnerships to deduct up to 20 percent of income earned by the business.
- How Software Can Save Your Profits from Sinking
1.17.19 – CEPro – A big Florida-based integrator shares details of the grueling transition to a complete end-to-end business software platform, and the rewarding results that made it worth the effort.
Fire & EMS News
- AL: Police seek help with Huntsville, Madison business burglaries spree
1.18.19 – WAAY- About 11:25 p.m. Tuesday, officers were dispatched to an alarm call at Subway. Johnson said it appears two offenders forced entry into the …
- IL: Naperville first responders extinguish early morning fire on Royal …
1.20.19 – Positively Naperville- At 7:05AM on Saturday, January 19, 2019, Naperville’s Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) received a fire alarm activation from a seven-story apartment …
- IL: Police Blotter 1-17-19
1.18.19 – MyWebTimes.com- Ottawa firefighters responded at 4:29 p.m. Wednesday for a faulty alarm that was out-of-date. Ottawa firefighters responded at 4:34 p.m. ..
- LA: Breaking News: University Suites fire alarm causes evacuation
1.14.19 – The HawkEye- Around 7:40 p.m., the fire alarms went off in University Suites, a ULM dormitory, causing occupants to evacuate. The first alarm went off on the third floor, …
- NC: 3 sisters escape Gastonia house fire thanks to smoke detector
1.16.19 – WSOC Charlotte- Gastonia, NC – Officials said three children were able to escape their burning home in Gastonia early Wednesday morning thanks to a working smoke alarm.
- NE: Police: False fire alarm at Boys Town leads to citations, arrest
1.19.18 – NTV- Grand Island, Neb. – Two teenagers were cited and another was arrested after the fire alarm was pulled at Boys Town Central Nebraska in Grand Island.
- NH: Quick work, automated alarms contain damage from West side …
1.18.19 – The Union Leader- The damage was contained because this four-unit, fully-occupied building had an automatic alarm system and once there fire crews worked quickly to extinguish …
- SC: Ogdensburg police blotter, Jan. 16
1.17.19 – North Country Now – Report of a fire alarm activation. False alarm due to power going out. …
- TX: High carbon monoxide levels leads to evacuation of several …
1.19.18 – KSAT San Antonio- Firefighters were called out to a shopping center near Babcock and Wurzbach roads after an alarm alerted a business owner to high levels of carbon monoxide.
- UT: Fashion Place Mall shooting prompts concerns about building’s false …
1.15.19 – ABC 4- Murray, Utah – Visitors at Fashion Place Mall were concerned at the lack of urgency and delayed response from employees after a fire alarm …
- UT: Police said alarms at Fashion Place mall were malfunctioning before a …
1.16.19 – Salt Lake Tribune- Seconds before a gang-related shooting at Fashion Place mall on Sunday, the fire alarms went off by the food court where hundreds of people sat eating hot …
- CA: Alleged Palm Springs burglar pleads not guilty
1.17.19 – KESQ – Later that night, a burglar alarm was tripped at another home, again with the suspects attempting to enter through a sliding glass door.
- CO: Logan County Sheriff’s deputies investigate commercial burglary alarm
1.16.19 – South Platte Sentinel- … regarding a residential burglary alarm. … regarding a report of a commercial burglary alarm. Jan. 5
- CO: Logan County Sheriff’s deputies investigate residential burglary alarm
1.15.19 – Journal Advocate- At 8:26 a.m. deputies were. near Sterling regarding a residential burglary alarm. At 10:30 a.m. deputies were …
- CO: Mother-In-Law With Gun Jumps Into Action After Burglars Set Off Alarm
1.19.18 – CBS Denver-13 hours ago Pueblo, Colo. – When John Lieder checked on an alert from his home security system, the last thing he expected to see was intruders. He watched live …
- FL: Silent alarm trips up bank robbery suspect, police said
1.16.19 – Miami Herald- A silent alarm foiled a robbery at the TD Bank in Pembroke Pines. … The teller complied, hit the silent alarm at 10:26 a.m., handed over an unspecified amount of …
- MA: Concord police log, Dec. 29 to Jan. 12
1.19.18 – Wicked Local- 8:41 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at the Concord Country Club. Police checked the property. 9:03 a.m.: A motor vehicle …
- MA: False alarm triggers evacuation at Mansfield High
1.15.19 – Wicked Local Mansfield- A fire alarm resulted in evacuation of Mansfield High School early Monday morning, Jan. 14. Shortly before 8 a.m., all students and staff were evacuated due to …
- MA: Police Log: 1-15-19
1.15.19 – Daily Item- False burglar alarm reported on Friday at 1:06 p.m. Officer reports house appears secure. Accidental LifeLine alarm ..
- MA: Police Log: 1-18-19
1.18.19 – Daily Item- Accidental burglar alarm on Wednesday at 10:41 a.m. … Accidental burglar alarm reported at Lynnfield High School…
- MA: Police Log: 1-19-19
1.19.18 – Daily Item- Officer reports resident having a problem with alarm panel. False burglar alarm at the Lynnfield Middle School on Thursday at 10:52 p.m..
- MA: Police respond to alarm at Braintree bank, find break-in suspect leaving
1.14.19 – Boston 25 News- Braintree, Mass. – Police have arrested a man for breaking into a bank on Rockdale Street early Monday morning. Braintree Police could be seen inside the …
- MA: Rochester Police Log: Jan. 6-11
1.18.19 – Wicked Local- 9:14 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported at a residence. …
- MA: Wakefield Police Log: Jan. 7-13
1.15.19 – Wicked Local – 6:56 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported. Unfounded, property secure. 8:09 a.m.: A garage door alarm activation was reported on Montrose
- MI: Crime log 1-19
1.19.18 – Midland Daily News- 7:11 a.m. – Deputies responded to a business alarm in Lincoln Township and found the building was secure. 3:40 a.m. – Police made a warrant arrest …
- MN: Meeker County Sheriff’s report Jan. 8-14
1.17.19 – Crow River Media – At 11:44 p.m. the Sheriff’s Office took a report of an alarm at an address on 729th Avenue, Dassel Township. The deputy determined everything to be okay.
- MN: Perham Police Report
1.17.19 – Perham Focus – 7:51 p.m. – Responded to Perham business for alarm; cleared and secured building
- MO: Area Crime Reports – Published January 18, 2019
1.18.19 – Times Newspapers- 13, officers responded to a business alarm. They found a broken window and evidence to support unlawful entry into …
- NC: Pastor: Suspect caught trying to break into Raleigh church
1.16.19 – wreg.com- He said they cut the alarm wires during last week’s break-in so the alarm wasn’t working this time. In addition to all of the destruction, he said the thieves also left …
- ND: Bismarck police looking for bank robber
1.16.19 – KFGO News- Officers responded to an alarm at U.S. Bank shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday. The suspect had fled, prompting law enforcement to advise residents in the area to lock ..
- NM: Police Blotter – Jan. 9-14
1.19.18 – taosnews- 11:49 a.m. Alarm commercial, Taos Public Library – A librarian set off the alarm at the library and called Taos Police department to notify them she was calling …
- OH: Lights & Sirens | Man arrested after fight is reported
1.15.19 – Bucyrus Telegraph Forum- A false alarm was investigated.
- PA: Pennsylvania family says quick-thinking 9-year-old saved grandmother
1.17.19 – WABC-TV – A 9-year-old girl said she knew something was wrong when she arrived at her grandmother’s house before school last week. What she did with that information …
- PA: Police and fire for Jan. 18, 2019
1.18.19 – Gettysburg Times- 12:44 a.m. — Burglar alarm.
- TN: Knox sheriff: Rookie officer justified in false-alarm shooting
1.19.18 – Knoxville News Sentinel- Knox County Sheriff Tom Spangler said a rookie officer – during his first day on patrol alone – did exactly as he was trained when he fired his weapon at an …
- TX: Burglars lug off ATM containing $2800 in Pearland
1.1.19 – Chron.com- At about 4 a.m. that day, officers responding to an alarm at the station arrived to find the front door shattered, …., police said.
- VA: Chesapeake church destroyed by tornado ready to reopen for Sunday …
1.18.19 – WAVY-TV- “I got a call from the alarm company that said the alarms are going off and the fire system is going off.” Related: Church destroyed by tornado reflects one year …
- WI: Surveillance images released of burglars taking electronics from …
1.18.19 – Channel3000.com – WISC-TV3- Off-site security detected an intrusion alarm and verified through video surveillance that two people were burglarizing the store, officials said. Both people left the …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams