Public Safety Updates
- NY: False alarm fee may return in the Lock City …
2.10.22 – Lockport Union Sun & Journal – “I’m guessing on average we could charge $3,200 a year for the amount of false alarms at that building,” Quagliano said. The fee isn’t intended …
- PA: Pittsburgh program will speed up process for obtaining fire …
2.7.22 – KDKA – A pilot program with Pittsburgh’s Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections will speed up the process for people applying for fire alarm and fire suppression permits. Beginning March 1, applicants will be able to pay an additional fee for an expedited, five-day plan review.
- WY: With false alarms a ‘significant drain of police resources …
2.8.22 – Casper, Wyo. … McPheeters said that there is a concern among police department command level staff regarding establishments that have poorly installed alarm systems that lead to repeated false alarms …
- Obsidian Energy Reduces False Alarms by 95% With Calipsa Pro Analytics
2.7.22 – SSI – Calipsa’s Pro Analytics video platform provides customers with customized forensic analysis, real-time camera health checks and false alarm filtering.
- 6 Municipalities Implement TMA Automated Secure Alarm Protocol
2.10.22 – SSI – TMA’s ASAP service is designed to increase the accuracy and efficiency of calls for service from alarm companies to emergency call centers.
- Resideo to Acquire First Alert for $593M
2.7.22 – SSI – Resideo says the acquisition of First Alert advances its strategy of expanding the company’s presence with contractors and broadening its suite of sensors for the home.
- COVID-19 Put These Access Control Solutions in the Spotlight
SSI – Experts share how to utilize touchless and biometric solutions, as well as emerging solutions such as contact tracing.
- The War on POTS: Making the Move to Alternate Technologies
2.11.22 – SSI – Moving your accounts from POTS lines to an alternate technology will ultimately save you time and increase the value of your company, but more importantly it will provide your subscribers solid and reliable communications into the future.
- Legal Brief: Warrantless Surveillance Case Again Favors Law Enforcement
2.11.22 – SIW – Two years after a landmark decision on video surveillance, appellate court affirms in a new case
- Recruiting Roadmap: How to Gauge Cultural Fit
2.11.22 – SIW – Three interviewing tips that will help you see a candidate from a different perspective
- Why Matter Matters
2.11.22 – SIW – Inside one of the hottest smart home trends at CES: Device interoperability
- How an Integrator’s Advanced Camera System Solved a Megachurch’s Surveillance Woes
2.8.22 – SSI – Helixeon chose indoor and outdoor cameras by Vivotek to solve security issues at the James River Church campus, located in Ozark, Mo.
- The State of the Smart Home
2.11.22 – SIW – As CES wraps up, two integrators weigh in on trends, technologies and changes in the residential market
Fire & EMS News
- FL: Naked Man Sprays People With Fire Extinguisher In …-
2.7.22 – iHeart “Witnesses say the naked man pulled the fire alarm of a high-rise condo building. As people were evacuating, the perp sprayed …
- IL: 2 arrested, 2 victims hospitalized in Schnucks armed robbery
2.11.22 – WTVO – Rockford Police have arrested two men – Malik Gordon, 20, and Daisean Davis, 18 – in connection with a pair of violent armed robberies …
- IN: Burglary alarm leads emergency responders to house fire
2.11.22 – Evansville, Ind – WEHT – Evansville Police and Firefighters were called to a home after a burglary …
- KS: Fire crews respond to alarm at Topeka hotel
2.7.22 – Topeka, Kan. – WIBW – Multiple fire crews were called Monday morning to an alarm at a west Topeka hotel but no actual blaze was reported.
- OH: To be blunt, burnt marijuana triggers fire alarm: Bainbridge
2.7.22 – A police officer arrived to discover both the woman and the inside of her home smelling of burnt marijuana. Finding no other reason for the …
- ON: Smoke alarms stop Huntsville fire from getting out of control
2.10.22 – My Muskoka Now – Officials say the fire is believed to have started from a candle placed too close to flammable items, with damage estimated at $50,000. One …
- TX: Waco gun range closed after frozen pipe bursts, floods facility
2.7.22 – Waco, Texas – KWTX – Republic Gun Club, a full-service indoor gun range with retail and event venue space, is closed until the end of the week as crews work to clean up the mess left behind after a pipe burst during last week’s ice storm.
- CA: Burglary suspect caused $10K in damages, losses at Berkeley …
2.7.22 – KRON – A Berkeley business was burglarized over the weekend. The owner of Kathmandu Market and Deli says the suspect caused up to $10,000 in damage and losses and it was all caught on surveillance video. Daryn Singh’s store. was one of the latest businesses targeted by burglars in Berkeley.
- IL: Rockford man caught burglarizing a Walgreens – MyStateline …
2.7.22 – Rockford, Ill. -WTVO – Police responding to a burglary alarm say they apprehended Sean Savage, 50, burglarizing the business.
- IN: Burglars find easy target in east Indianapolis church
2.9.22 – WTHR – Police asking for help finding Indianapolis woman missing since Feb. 1. Indianapolis – IMPD is asking if anyone has seen 33-year-old Paris …
- MA: Police Investigating Smash & Grab Robbery at Framingham …
2.7.22 – Framingham Source – Police are investigating a smash & grab robbery that took place at 4 a.m. on Friday, February 4.
- MD: Westernport Burglary Suspect Arrested and Charged
2.10.22 – WCBC – With the assistance of the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office, a person matching the description of the suspect was located in the yard of a nearby residence, and identified as Gary R. … Trenter 2nd, a 34 year old white male.
- MI: Suspect in custody for burglary at country club in Coldwater
2.13.22 – Fox 17 – The was discovered to be in possession of stolen items that were taken from the Coldwater Country Club. Troopers arrested the man and he is …
- MI: Two businesses burglarized, Taylor police post video to make …
2.11.22 – News Herald – Police Chief John Blair said the department wants to help make the bad guys “infamous” by putting their pictures on as many social media outlets …
- NJ: MLPD Arrest Man for Burglaries at CoCo Keys, Fellowship …
2.13.22 – Tap Into Mount Laurel – MLPD officers responded to CoCo Keys Resort on Saturday, February 5 at about 7AM for a report of an activated burglar alarm. Officers observed a white male fleeing from CoCo Keys, and, after a short foot pursuit, apprehended the man and determined that he was involved in other recent burglaries.
- NM: Deming Police nab a familiar face in botched burglary attempt …
2.9.22 – Yahoo – Deming – Deming police encountered a familiar face early Tuesday morning in Deming’s historic Silver Avenue business district.
- PA: Wyoming police charge suspected ‘smash and grab’ tobacco …
2.8.22 – Times Leader – Wyoming – Surveillance footage shows suspected tobacco thief Danny Haggard using a cinder block 10 times to smash his way through a glass …
- SD: Spree of break-ins overnight in Rapid City lead to two juvenile …
2.8.22 – Rapid City, S.D. – KEVN – It started around 2:00 a.m. on February 7 when an alarm went off at the Hardee’s off of Haines Avenue. Police were dispatched and say a window had been broken in, but no suspects were found inside.
- WA: Police investigating crash-and-dash burglaries at businesses
2.10.22 – Kitsap Daily News – Police investigating crash-and-dash burglaries at businesses. Two suspects captured on surveillance video at burgled convenience store.
- WI: ATM stolen from Grafton bank, police seek suspects …
2.8.22 – Fox 6 – Grafton police are looking for two ATM thieves after the machine stolen from Cornerstone Community Bank was found with an abandoned stolen …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Riley Fields
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate –
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela