Public Safety Updates
- CA: San Ramon Council passes increased false alarm penalties
1.13.22 – Danville San Ramon — San Ramon residents and businesses using alarm systems will face increased fees for false alarm penalties in the coming months, …
- Oroho Bill Cracking Down on Professional License Lending …
1.10.22 – Insider NJ – Senator Steve Oroho’s bill seeking to help end the practice of professional and occupational license lending earned Senate approval today.
- Governor Murphy Signs Legislation Allocating School Security Project Grants Under the “Securing Our Children’s Future Bond Act”
1.13.22 – NJ.Gov … The funding will be allocated to the installation of silent panic alarms to alert law enforcement during an emergency as required by Alyssa’s Law, as well as other school security upgrades.
- AICC Presses Ahead With Efforts to Postpone Looming 3G Sunset Dates
1.14.22- SSI – The Alarm Industry Communications Committee has petitioned the FCC for a delay and believes strongly that without it, lives will be at risk.
- Bay Alarm Grows in Southern California With Mijac Alarm Buy
1.10.22 – SSI – Founded 50 years ago by a former law enforcement officer, Mijac Alarm serves more than 10,000 businesses, families and government entities.
- CES 2022 Attendance Dropped to 40K
CES 2022 wrapped last week on January 7 with a notable drop in attendance and exhibitors as the organizers reported the show attracted more than 40,000 in person attendees and 2,300+ exhibitors. These figures marked a significant decline from the pre-pandemic 2020 show, which had 171,268 attendees and 4419 exhibiting companies.
- Legal Brief: The First 3G Sunset Deadline is Almost Here
1.14.22 – SIW – As the AT&T deadline looms in February, do not depend on the FCC to give you an extension
- Recruiting Roadmap: How (and When) to Talk Compensation
1.14.22 – SIW – When it comes to salaries, transparency is the newest hiring trend
- How Environmental Monitoring Can Be Elemental to Business
1.13.22 – SSI – Monitoring climate and potential damaging elements like water and gas represents a high need and potentially lucrative path for security pros to boost revenues.
- How to Use Digital Platforms to Scale for Growth, Maximize Business Value
1.11.22 – SSI – For 2022, increasing the value of your brand by evaluating new multiple access network platforms and reducing process friction should be a critically important priority.
- SBA Lending in 2022: Trends, Headwinds & Opportunities
1.11.22 – SSI – John Moshier, president of SBA lending at Ready Capital, provides his 2022 outlook for small-business lending.
- Opening the Door to Government Business
1.14.22 – SIW – The Security Business expert integrator panel outlines the challenges, pitfalls and potential massive reward of federal, state and local government security contracting (January 2022 cover story)
- Thermal Cameras: The Latest Trends
1.14.22 – SIW – The technology’s evolution is enabling integrators to create more robust strategies for perimeter security
Fire & EMS News
- NH: New Hampshire fire investigators react to video from inside bar
1.11.22 – WMUR – Fire investigators said Monday that staff members of a Keene bar mostly … react to video showing customers in bar as fire burned building.
- MN: Smoke detector credited with saving lives of 3 Brainerd residents
1.13.22 – Brainerd Dispatch – “The smoke alarms saved their lives,” Brainerd Fire Chief Tim Holmes said. … Damage on a home from an early morning fire Thursday, Jan. 13, 2022, is visible on a home. Kelly Humphrey / Brainerd Dispatch. The occupants, three adults, made it out of the building.
- CA: Hoopa Man Arrested for Allegedly Burglarizing Tribal …
1.11.22 – Lost Coast Outpost – A vending machine inside the learning center also appeared to be vandalized and ransacked of most of its snacks. No other items were reported …
- CA: Man falls while attempting to break into Hanford business …
1.14.22 – (KSEE/KGPE) – A man was caught on camera Sunday attempting to break into a Hanford business, eventually falling to the floor below, police said.
- CA: Merced convenience store robbed at gunpoint, police say
1.16.22 – Merced Star – Authorities are looking for a suspect accused of armed robbery at an AM-PM convenience store in Merced on Sunday, according to the Merced …
- CA: Silent alarm at Valencia bank ends with one detained …
1.10.22 – The Signal – A silent alarm at a Wells Fargo in Valencia resulted in one person being detained and at least one ambulance being called to the scene, …
- CA: Suspect is on the loose after breaking into the Chico Eye …
1.11.22 – Action News – More than six Chico Police vehicles responded to the center. Officers said they entered through a window near the main entrance to the building.
- IL: 2 men burglarize Target on NW Side, police say
1.14.22 – WGN – Chicago – A Target store was burglarized on the city’s Northwest Side Friday morning. Police said it happened in the 4600 block of W. Foster …
- IN: Cosner’s burglary: Bedford police, ATF investigation
1.13.22 – TM News – Bedford police and ATF investigation of Cosner’s burglary leads to five arrests. Staff Report. Crime scene tape. Bedford – Following a joint …
- MA: Man Crashes Cadillac Into Liquor Store, Drinks A Beer …
1.16.22 – GM Authority – A Massachusetts man has gone viral after he crashed his Cadillac CTS into a liquor store before chugging a beer whilst waiting for the …
- MD: Riverside Business Targeted In Smash-And-Grab ATM Theft
1.10.22 -WJZ – Police said four men backed a van into the storefront, then removed the ATM from the business and took off. The owner told WJZ he was tipped off …
- MI: Dearborn police find vehicle full of evidence after cell phone …
1.12.22 – Fox 2 Detroit – Dearborn police find vehicle full of evidence after cell phone store break-in; driver arrested. … Police said an alarm at the store in the area of Warren and Greenfield alerted officers of the break-in. Officers said the door was forced open and items were missing.
- NC: 911 call about possible home break-in led to incident in which …
1.11.22 – CBS17 – Durham County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to a home around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in response to a disturbance. 28- …
- PA: Alarm Sends Police To Woman In Critical Condition After …
1.10.22 – Daily Voice – A security system alerted police of a central Pennsylvania shooting that left a woman is in critical condition early Sunday morning, …
- PA: Store employee shot woman she saw in sex act with ex …
1.10.22 – PennLive – Police responded to a panic alarm from the store and arrived and found the store’s front doors locked. Melhorn, with blood on her shirt, then unlocked the door and told them “she was assaulted and shot someone inside,” according to court records.
- TN: Burglar forces down door and rips alarm out of the wall …
1.13.22 – Nashville, Tenn. (WTVF) – A burglar ripped a family’s alarm system out of the wall, and now their sense of safety has been shattered.
- TN: Suspect breaks into Madison mattress store
1.11.22 – WKRN – Authorities said Michael Pinkerton, 49, reportedly told them he used a metal pole he found in the parking lot and broke a large 12×12 glass window to enter the business in an attempt to find a place to sleep.
- TX: Porch thief caught on camera stealing nearly 70 pound bench …
1.15.22 – News4SA – Security showed a sole person lift a nearly 70-pound bench off Lozano’s front porch, load it onto a truck just in front of the home and drive …
- VA: Serial bank robbery suspect arrested, charged with …
1.13.22 – WAVY – A man has been arrested and charged with possession of explosives by a convicted felon after a series of recent bank robberies and attempts …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Seven state associations are part of NESA – Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association (LLSSA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Mississippi Security Association (MSA), Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA) and Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Director – Dera DeRoche Jolet
- Mississippi Security Association Director – Jack Torrence
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Riley Fields
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – John Helweg
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- False Alarm Reduction Association Director – Kerri McDonald
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Louisiana Life Safety & Security Association Alternate –
- Mississippi Security Association Alternate – Shelley Pettit
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Jim Emerick
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Kelly Ryan
- False Alarm Reduction Association Alternate – Alicia Vela